What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RD12 Vs Sea Eagles

The_Frog

First Grade
If you think about it, it’s well documented that we are getting the least amount of set restarts ( although I think we did ok yesterday), and giving away a lot.
The NRL site now includes this stat. It was 6-2 our way yesterday. Penalties 4-2 Manly.

soc123_au

Staff member
I think new rules have favoured us a huge amount as well.
If you think about it, it’s well documented that we are getting the least amount of set restarts ( although I think we did ok yesterday), and giving away a lot.
Over the Last few years plenty of them would have been penalties, which are much more detrimental and someone often ended up in the bin.
Our style of relentless forward motion and quick play the balls is exhausting teams and is the kind of footy the new rules encourage.
We have adapted really well to the changes, which to me is a sign of hard work and planning throughout the club.

Manlys average play the ball speed was marginally quicker than ours, but rolling forward relentlessly is most definitely one of our strengths. The bench last night were great on that front. It's almost just a given now that the starting middle will just roll upfield at will.

The_Frog

First Grade
The Storm in 2012 won 11 of their first 12 but lost their 13th game to Wests Tigers (on an Origin weekend, no doubt depleted). Next is the 2002 Bulldogs (also 10.5 wins from 12), who later lost all their points for cheating the salary cap.

Thus as things now stand we are only behind the 2012 Storm as having the best opening 12 rounds in the NRL era among salary cap compliant teams, and will surpass them with a win next game.

We're also attempting to equal our club record of successive wins, set in 2003, next game.

Last edited:
Best game they've played. A few moments of bad attack and May had to jump into fullback in the attacking 20 to fix it in a set but overall so good. Sorry to say it but the bench was better with Lenui, Tetevano, Leota and May.

My only criticism of recent times is we’ve missed an opportunity to play someone else at fullback. It’s a minor criticism overall, but I just hope Edwards is fully fit for the finals.

Well that didn't go as expected. We absolutely demolished them. Granted they had a few injuries but it was clear who the better team was.

Staines is putting enormous pressure on Mansour/To'o. We haven't really seen him tested in defence or under the high ball but his skills in attack are tremendous.

One of our best performances of 2020. And one of our strongest sides named as well.

With his history playing fullback the high ball won’t be problem.

soc123_au

Staff member
My only criticism of recent times is we’ve missed an opportunity to play someone else at fullback. It’s a minor criticism overall, but I just hope Edwards is fully fit for the finals.
I was pretty much on the same line of thinking. Then I've watched other teams lose their fullback & their defence turns to shit. Aekins has been a 9 out of 10 minimum on that front. Defensively we havent missed a beat with him in the side. I'd love for him to offer something, anything in attack, but what can you do. Every time he touches the ball I'm willing him to even just break 1 tackle, but to no avail. Cant argue with his win rate though.

I was pretty much on the same line of thinking. Then I've watched other teams lose their fullback & their defence turns to shit. Aekins has been a 9 out of 10 minimum on that front. Defensively we havent missed a beat with him in the side. I'd love for him to offer something, anything in attack, but what can you do. Every time he touches the ball I'm willing him to even just break 1 tackle, but to no avail. Cant argue with his win rate though.

My concern is mostly that he’ll be a liability come the finals if we need him. Even if we’d thrown someone else in for 20 mins to see how’d they’d handle it.

Now we’ve gone with Aekins though I’d prefer to rest Edwards for as long as possible. Hamstring injuries are a bitch.

Fangs

Coach
With his history playing fullback the high ball won’t be problem.

I don't have any doubts really. I bet he is a gun goal kicker and would probably be a great 6 as well. He looks very skilful.

He just hasn't had a the blowtorch put on him yet and the better teams will send traffic his way. Especially with his light frame. The return we are getting in attack is enormous so if it costs us a try or two I won't complain. It has been a while since we have had attack this dangerous on both the left and right side of the field.

soc123_au

Staff member
My concern is mostly that he’ll be a liability come the finals if we need him. Even if we’d thrown someone else in for 20 mins to see how’d they’d handle it.

Now we’ve gone with Aekins though I’d prefer to rest Edwards for as long as possible. Hamstring injuries are a bitch.

Yeah, as much as I want Edwards back, we dont want to do it too soon & have him out again.

Panfa

Juniors
Id have laurie over aekins any day.Yesterday before halftime sums aekins up naden took an intercept we had a 5 man overlap on the left he went himself and got tackled butchering a certain try.The guy had no vision what so ever.

Jane Murray

Bench
Any suggestions in where I can look at the video from last nights game, in whole? I've tried the NRL website, without luck. Thanks in advance.

GongPanther

Referee