What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd14: Parra v Dragons GAME DAY thread (14/8/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFR33K

Coach
We might've had our minds on next week a bit too soon. This is a side that will play finals. It can't be easy concentrating on beating the St George Illawarra Dragons.

If we can’t concentrate on beating the dragons and manly, isn’t that a sign of a mentally weak team? We’re so far off the pace it’s not funny.

eel01s

Bench
We played in a similar fashion to how both ourselves and Penrith played last season, only we had better strike . The Riff then employed a new attack coach and are seeing the rewards.

we have had the same attack coach for 7 years, maybe it’s not the head coach that needs refreshing but asst coaches turned over to keep the message different and introduce some new ideas. Loyalty is good and bad , it’s a choice to move on that could benefit everyone.
Agreed Delboy. We need a new bag of tricks for both set plays and when inside the 20. I think Johns was working well, but not maybe not so effective outside of the bubble.

Moses needs to take more control and call plays. Does anyone know if he is over the calf injury?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nice of you to say, but we have been pretty ordinary for 6 weeks now. We have dropped a gear while you guys and the Storm continue to improve.

I wrote last night that we are a fringe top 8 side who have overachieved and I honestly think we’ll be found out badly next week based on recent form.
Fringe top eight? We have only conceded eight more points than the best defensive side in the comp. We aren't favourites, but we are genuine contenders.

IFR33K

Coach
Fringe top eight? We have only conceded eight more points than the best defensive side in the comp. We aren't favourites, but we are genuine contenders.

We’re making up numbers. Just like the other 3 or 4 teams will be. We’ve been worked out and exposed

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I very much doubt it.

While we have done well to win games in the past 6 weeks, we have been lucky:

* we were lucky that Shaun Johnson forgot his goal-kicking shoes

* we were lucky that the Bulldogs' hooker is dog shit bad, and that Lachlan Lewis is a scrubber (Foran was destroying us single-handedly)

* we were lucky that a few calls went against Newcastle

* we were lucky that the Tigers still employ Moses Mbye

We have been playing terribly for well over a month now, and we got what we deserved.
I don't think we've been that lucky. We've been lucky to have minimal injuries but for-and-against is granular enough to show the true quality of a team. Ours is fourth best and we're sitting third, so only a slight element of luck. We are also fourth in the betting, which I think accurately reflects our chances.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The thing I noticed most was in the attacking 20, we had noone running options at angles for our playmakers, which caused all the sideways plays. There were times when Moses had to physically call the player to run unders, that should be automatic in these players if they can read the play well enough. Have more people in motion in the plays which puts doubt in the oppositions defensive decisions
Our effort in attack (decoys and support play) has fallen off a cliff, even though our defensive effort is still top notch.

I don't think we've been that lucky. We've been lucky to have minimal injuries but for-and-against is granular enough to show the true quality of a team. Ours is fourth best and we're sitting third, so only a slight element of luck. We are also fourth in the betting, which I think accurately reflects our chances.
Although the lack of injuries would affect the for and against.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We need Mahoney to be allowed to attack. He's got a great kicking game (but seldom uses it); he's quick and can scoot out of dummy half (but seldom does). He does 5 million tackles a game and the 'attacking organisation' is left to Moses (who is really an exceptionally talented five-eight, but not a natural organiser). And then there's Dylan Brown, who's probably a more natural half-back than Moses is. The elements are there for a very good spine. But the balance is out. Moses should never be told "this is your team to run". It should be a thing that's shared between Brown, Moses and Mahoney. Maybe Mahoney is a bit inexperienced yet, to take on more responsibility - and maybe the coaching staff know this. It would be great for them to get it right, though, because these three players could be brilliant together if they ever got the balance right.
Since the game resumed in round three Dylan Brown has basically been our 'halfback' with Gutherson and Moses split left and right (though it's not that simple either because we tend to play with a long left side rather than a symmetric shape). Brown is throwing more passes than Moses pretty much every week, but Moses is our primary kicker because he's obviously better at it.

Another position that’s affecting our attack is dummy half passing and running. I don’t want pick on Mahoney again but he’s not good enough at the moment. He’s running is non existent his passing is rubbish - to slow - not hitting target. He’s having a massive affect on the team attacking wise. Further to that, when other players fill in they are throwing shocking passes as well

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Another position that’s affecting our attack is dummy half passing and running. I don’t want pick on Mahoney again but he’s not good enough at the moment. He’s running is non existent his passing is rubbish - to slow - not hitting target. He’s having a massive affect on the team attacking wise. Further to that, when other players fill in they are throwing shocking passes as well
Mahoney is great at throwing long passes quickly, but in the wet it's a bit of a lottery. What this means is that in the wet we need to change the way we attack, which is obviously disruptive. If we played wet weather footy every week, like the Panthers and Knights (and Dragons) we wouldn't be so disrupted when it does rain. But two of our most dangerous runners are our halves, and so we need to play a style that suits that. This means a lot of offloads and long shifts, which are too risky for wet weather footy. We just need to suck it up until the weather improves, and if it doesn't we're f**ked.

Well obviously. If we had more injuries we wouldn't be as good.
Yes but whether or not our ladder position is lucky relative to our for and against isn't really the point. What we need to compare the for and against to is what it would look like if everyone had the same amount of luck, including injuries. Obviously we can't know that but.

hindy111

Post Whore
I thought ahoney was exceptional yesterday. His kicking game was great.
Had it ot been all of 5mmhe scores the game winning try.

Tooooks

Bench

9 of their 14 games have been against current top eight sides, including Roosters twice, Raiders twice, and Knights twice.

We’ve played 5. Based on our form over the last 6 weeks we aren’t contenders. Just my opinion and I hope more than anything that someone quotes me at the end of the season and says “good call, dickhead. You were so wrong boooooooo.”

TheParraboy

Staff member

Opposition is running at him to tire him out, knowing he will play 80min and our only dummy half. No wonder he is clocking up 50+ tackles

It nullifies his attack, and fatigues his passing, plus our attack is more predictable knowing nothing going on from dummy half. He is still very young and inexperienced

Would be nice to have someone off the bench to come on for 15-20min give Reed a rest, and also provide some energy

Status
Not open for further replies.