What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd15 2024: Eels v Roosters GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank Stadium June 15th

PARRA_FAN

Coach
First time I watched a game pre-recorded and didn't know the score. Was probably one of our better performances this season.

I thought Cartwright was our best. He toyed with them out wide.

I'm starting to worry about Gutherson. I think he may be done.

Kelma also played well and it was an improved performance form our main props.

Probably Joffa's worst game for us this season.

Matterson played well.

Dylan Brown did one good thing and was again inconsistent. I think he is a dumb one dimensional player.

Besides Penisini we have no class out wide and that's on MON and his f**ked up recruitment team.

I think we can now draw a line through Barrett as I expect the coach to be announced before we play again in 2 weeks time. Starting to think that Holbrook should now be considered. I thought @chiefy1 made some good points in the Next Coach thread. Are we really going to go for another untested rookie? At least Holbrook has had success overseas and has coached at NRL level with moderate success.

Agree with it. Cartwright should be starting next game, he was always attracting 2-3 defenders and looking to offload, our attack was way better when he came on, him and Hands combined well down the short side and threated the Roosters out wide. Of course that went out of the window when Lussick came on.

Kelma certainly looked dangerous last night, its a shame about that tackle and we'll miss him.

I think last night the boys mightve got lost once leading and werent sure what to do in attack. They tried too many trick shots instead of playing it up the middle and getting good field position. I wonder why at one stage the two props were both off.

I wouldnt mind Holbrook to be honest, he was with us for a little bit and has worked with Robinson. Strange how he was sacked by the Titans, I dont think Dessie has done much improvement for them

Playing nsw u19s next week.
He should go quite well against his age-limited peers.
I’d put him on the bench. What do we have to lose.

only reason he may stay is for opportunity
I think he needs to bulk up a lot before dabbling too much with grown men again. Maybe the final two games of the season off the bench, to whet his appetite for 2025... I think his dad was quoted somewhere at the start of the season about making sure they brought MA along slowly?

TheParraboy

Staff member
If anyone at the game had any self respect they'd get up and leave right now.

I was held down in my seat by 4 Roosters friends I went with and left after the FT siren..

At the game It's a sign of how this mob have broken the spirit of us fans.

The Roosters fans were loud and chanting all game. The Roosters chant could be heard very loudly about a dozen times

Parra fans barely raised a voice

That stupid automated parra chant is uninspiring and cringe

hindy111

Post Whore
So I rewatched the 2nd half making a point to record Moses’ involvement as he seems to be copping it. Whilst I thought he didn’t set the world on fire, I didn’t think he was too bad.

My overall observation was that we predominantly went left and gave Drown more good ball (rightly so as he played well in the second half).

For what it’s worth, here is the record I made of our sets in attack:

1st: Moses involved in 4th tackle sweep. Drown ends up scoring in this set

2nd: Moses passes in a 2nd tackle shift. We receive a penalty.

3rd: Passes for a 3rd tackle shift. Also shifts out to Penisini in space off a Paulo offload.

4th: Involved in a 4th tackle shift. Last tackle attacking kick average as it was not deep enough.

5th: Helped out at dummy half for two plays. Good long kick on last is caught on their 10m line.

6th: Lussick on 🤮. Involved in 2nd tackle shift. Shifted on the last and then ends up with the ball again. Very good grubber should have pinned Roosters in goal but shithouse chase meant they made metres.

7th: Dummy half on the 2nd. Good long kick caught on 10m line.

8th: Doesn’t touch the ball. We were dominated rucking it out and didn’t make the 30m line. Excellent long kick gets us out of trouble and is caught on 20m line.

9th: Involved in 2nd tackle shift. 4th tackle short ball to Carty, then receives offload, runs the ball and then passes long which finds ground that we end up knocking on. **First poor contribution from Moses**

10th: Not involved as we were trucking it out from our own 10m. We drop the ball on the 4th.

11th: Rucking it out again but we receive a penalty.

12th: Ineffective inside ball to Carty on the 4th. Decides to run it on the last and throws a hospital ball to Drown who is caught on the last. **second poor contribution from Moses**

13th: Involved in 2nd tackle shift. Also involved in 4th tackle shift that was ineffective. Very good attacking kick on the last that should have resulted in a drop out but Asi gets a touch on it for a knock on.

14th: We drop the ball on the 2nd.

15th: Involved in a 3rd tackle shift which results in good metres. Starts 4th tackle shift which also results in good metres. Throws a ball on the last creating space for Penisini which almost results in Blaize scoring.

So there you have it. Two poor options but not exactly terrible across 40minutes.

Moses is average and we got snowed at 1.2 mill

hindy111

Post Whore
Well it might be. We also beat the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles with Lussick starting.
At start of season. See smart coaches start to mould the side and make tweaks so they play better footy. Rnd 1 Bulldogs vs rnd 1 Bulldogs? Chalk and cheese.Like at school they practice and learn and improve

You're used to BA the bush coach. His side in rnd 1 is the same as rnd 25. They don't get any better and even if things don't work they still try them over and over and over again. And if lose over and over again they still don't change.

eels_fan

First Grade
You know what speaks even more volumes for how stupid and out of his depth Barrett is?

on Friday morning he was “confident” Hopgood would be fine to play Saturday

Slater is not picking him because he doesn’t think he’ll be right in 11 days time.

how the f**k was he even an option to play yesterday?

Add Sivo with a hammy injury which was never going to heal in 5 days.

the bloke is a potato

JokerEel

Coach
You know what speaks even more volumes for how stupid and out of his depth Barrett is?

Slater is not picking him because he doesn’t think he’ll be right in 11 days time.

the bloke is a potato

Thats why the club needs a clean out.

We as fans can see it..

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Rnd 1 Bulldogs vs rnd 1 Bulldogs? Chalk and cheese
Literally the same team
You're used to BA the bush coach. His side in rnd 1 is the same as rnd 25. They don't get any better and even if things don't work they still try them over and over and over again. And if lose over and over again they still don't change.
If you don't have the options in your squad to play a different style then there's no point changing your tactics. You won't be playing to your strengths.

The fact is things work or not at least partly due to randomness. If a player drops a pass does that mean you should never pass to him again because it "didn't work"? Next time he'll probably catch it.

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal

the bloke is a potato
Sivo scores at least twice if he plays instead of Russell.

yy_cheng

Coach

the bloke is a potato
He couldve been playing ducks and drakes

TheParraboy

Staff member
Literally the same team

If you don't have the options in your squad to play a different style then there's no point changing your tactics. You won't be playing to your strengths.

The fact is things work or not at least partly due to randomness. If a player drops a pass does that mean you should never pass to him again because it "didn't work"? Next time he'll probably catch it.

Basically what your saying is we are a one dimensional team ?

Your confusing tactics with fundamentals analogy (pass and catch)