What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd15: Parra v Bulldogs GAME DAY thread @ BankWest Stadium 20/6/21

If Haze scored off Browns kick it's a great kick.
There is an element of luck scoring off a bomb. But there is no luck in placing the bomb at the correct height,location or a player chasing timing. That takes skill and practise. If that's our only chance or best odds of scoring then why the he'll wouldn't we use this weapon????

Agree, we need to keep using kicking to get tries. However I’d like to see more tries like the one Lane scored where he wa put through the line with a brilliant ball by Nathan Brown. I’m concerned that our halves in particular Dylan Brown either he doesn’t have the vision or skill to be able to set up a try. He has shown not progression on his attacking game. His future may lie as a lock or off the bench.

EelsFan05

Bench
I agree that there is plenty of room for improvement (as there is for most sides), but I don't get the level of criticism.

Do we actually have the most tries scored off kicks (serious question)? I guess that is possible. But it's not as if we aren't scoring heavily otherwise.
I have no idea. But they are all worth four points:)

EelsFan05

Bench
Agree, we need to keep using kicking to get tries. However I’d like to see more tries like the one Lane scored where he wa put through the line with a brilliant ball by Nathan Brown. I’m concerned that our halves in particular Dylan Brown either he doesn’t have the vision or skill to be able to set up a try. He has shown not progression on his attacking game. His future may lie as a lock or off the bench.
I think he is underplaying his hand this year rather then overplay it. Rheed's improvement (especially in the kicking department) has taken the pressure off DBrown to be a take control half. He tackles well, runs at the line and sometimes puts some nice kicks in. Plenty of time for him to develop.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I agree that there is plenty of room for improvement (as there is for most sides), but I don't get the level of criticism.

Do we actually have the most tries scored off kicks (serious question)? I guess that is possible. But it's not as if we aren't scoring heavily otherwise.
I just think attack wise nothing has changed, so what makes anyone think things will change against the top sides when it matters??? It might be easy to bully the weaker sides with our big pack and 60% if the ball but that won’t be happening in the semis.

I think our pack and bench is much stronger, which is the reason we have been able to be more dominant against the weaker sides and score more points but I doubt it will trouble the top sides when it really matters. As I said we will see where we are at in a couple of weeks verses Penrith.

IFR33K

Coach
It’s odd that tries off kicks by us are seen as a negative by some, however Nathan Cleary is applauded by causing the most line dropouts. Isn’t a line dropout a failed try attempt off a kick ?

the issues that those ‘some’ have, is that there is a genuine lack of creativity amongst the team, and the tries off kicks are masking up those issues. not Sure the tries off kicks are the issue alone.

Bandwagon

Staff member
If I had to guess I'd say Drown is being coached to work on his running and kicking game this year, and to consolidate his defensive game given he's now defending on our right.

Ytd stats show his running about on par with last year, which is a fair result given we attack more to the left, and his defence has improved marginally, which again is a fair result given his workrate in defence is higher. He's been kicking more this year, and that's reflected in the stats with an increase in his kick meters / game.

From the outside looking in, It just seems to me that BA is very much about patience and detail when it comes to development, and he's working with the belief that there are fundamentals in the game that underpin a players skillset that they need to be drilled in before you go to the next level.

Dylbag's only in his third year, with 44 games under his belt, he's still learning his craft, but he's f**king solid, and it showed how integral he is to our game when he was out.

IFR33K

Coach
We don't even have set moves from a scrum. Most sides will have their half feed the ball and then run around to provide an extra man.

ummm, yes we do. Seen it yesterday and been seeing it for weeks. We form a diamond shape and go out the back. Been doing it all year.

strider

Post Whore
you do realise its a completely different scenario - Nrown going to the line vs Drown/Moses going to the line

we all bitch and moan about Nrown running settlers .... but it probably helps create these sort of opportunities cos the defense just think he won't pass and come in on him .... then he pulls a rabbit out and passes instead and cos a defender came in on him there's a gap

the halves running to the line is different - the defenders will hold off waiting for the half to show his hand

hineyrulz

Post Whore
ummm, yes we do. Seen it yesterday and been seeing it for weeks. We form a diamond shape and go out the back. Been doing it all year.
I think it’s one of the Super cool moves, it’s been working an absolute treat.

TheRam

Coach
Arthur cannot do it all. We need to change the assistant coaches to change things up to go to the next level. Even BA improved when O’Neill came on board and took the load off him in relation to recruitment/retention.

No reason not to take someone like Adam O’Brien if he is sacked from Newcastle or Jason Taylor who is still coaching the North Sydney Bears as assistants.

If we go out early in the semis like previous years I think it is an inevitability before sacking BA. He deserves to see out the end of his contract. This year has been the best since 2005.

I never suggested we sack the coach. I have been calling for new assistants for some time though. Head coaches don't need to be the best strategists. He is a hell of a man manager, which is great and one of the 2 most important traits of a head coach, the other being recruiter, which again he is top notch at. But as for teaching the players the finer details of the game he needs help, which is fine as long as he recognises that and seeks out the best to do the job he can't do. That means getting even guys that have the potential to replace him if they are better then what we have at present.

I think he won't do this due to loyalty of the current assistants and or fear for his own jobs. That is why I think the decision needs to be made for him by MON. We and he will be better for it. We need a change of our attacking style. We need the players to know how to take easier advantage of all that ball and power play we can get during games. They are so predictable and boring out there it isn't funny. Hell we need this change if not just to stop Brown taking the 4th tackle in each set. I mean how ridiculous and if you are the opposition, how the hell wouldn't you know what's coming?

yy_cheng

Coach
I'm wondering a reason is that Dylan doesn't pass left to right as fast cos there sometimes there is an overlap and he canny get the ball out there and takes the tackle

Most likely, his switch to the right was for defending and not help him kick with his right foot

Gazzamatta

Coach
I loved that run around move a few weeks back with Rheed to Paulo, back to Rheed then put Carty over. Brilliantly set up and worked superbly. It's the only time it's been used all year.

84 Baby

Referee
I mean how ridiculous and if you are the opposition, how the hell wouldn't you know what's coming?
But there’s the rub. If we have such shit coaches, yet have the 3rd best attack, what does that say about the likely potential alternatives?
Wasn’t Barrett meant to have been the reason for Smugfers attack last year? How’s he doing at the dogs?
And now people are talking up O’Brien to become an assistant. Knights have 3rd worst attack

84 Baby

Referee
I loved that run around move a few weeks back with Rheed to Paulo, back to Rheed then put Carty over. Brilliantly set up and worked superbly. It's the only time it's been used all year.
It was also used when Rheed injured himself. But it’s also been used a few other times this year plus end of last year