What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RD15: Parramata Eels Vs Storm AAMI Park 2pm 22/6/14

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Even when you start the set from under the goalposts? Then what's the point of forwards? Defence only?

Defence, the wrestle, and quick play-the-balls.

Have a look at who takes the most runs each week. For just about every team it's the 1-5 plus one prop and maybe an edge forward. Every single week. The majority of tight forwards are just there to plug the middle and work hard making support and decoy runs.

They might well make the most runs overall but it seems crazy to me that from the centre of the field we have backs taking all the hit ups against a set defence, getting smashed and advancing the ball less than 5 metres.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Most forwards wouldn't do any better. The defence is too compressed to be a chance of a quick play-the-ball, and you're too close to your line for an offload.

The things a prop is best at are nullified inside your own 20. You may as well spread the love and give the backs some work.

Then why from every single kick off do they pass it to a forward to bash it up? Forwards shouldn't mind getting bashed, they're built for it. Why risk injury to the little guys? Are our forwards just lazy?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Then why from every single kick off do they pass it to a forward to bash it up?

Because they've just had a rest and aren't stuck forty metres upfield where the ball was kicked from.

Forwards shouldn't mind getting bashed, they're built for it. Why risk injury to the little guys? Are our forwards just lazy?

Most outside backs aren't real small these days. And the smaller ones are pretty good at avoiding getting bashed.

oldmancraigy

Coach
They might well make the most runs overall but it seems crazy to me that from the centre of the field we have backs taking all the hit ups against a set defence, getting smashed and advancing the ball less than 5 metres.

Shows how much we missed Hoppa.

Every team has the 2,3,4,5 taking hitups early in sets after a kick in general play. That is their job. If you think it isn't, then watch more footy!!!!

Hopoate is superb at meterage out of our own end - go look at his hitup numbers, they are eye popping. Sio is also quite good.
Semi is poor in this area, Toutai and Tonga are ok, and Morgan is pathetic.

Oh, I don't actually watch footy. I find this allows me to come at it with fresh ideas.

But yeah, Morgan is pathetic at it. Is Semi really poor though? I thought he carted it about 15 metres a couple of times on the weekend.

Bigfella

Coach
Its' an area where you can cover up an average pack, or really add something to a decent pack. We were great at it under Hagan and I think the metre gaining efforts of Grothe, Tahu, Inu in those days was a huge factor in what made us competitive.

Manly have made an art form out of it with Matai, Williams and Tafua in particular in recent years.

If your backs aren't offering that you aren't in the modern game.

Kornstar

Coach
Its' an area where you can cover up an average pack, or really add something to a decent pack. We were great at it under Hagan and I think the metre gaining efforts of Grothe, Tahu, Inu in those days was a huge factor in what made us competitive.

Manly have made an art form out of it with Matai, Williams and Tafua in particular in recent years.

If your backs aren't offering that you aren't in the modern game.

That is one reason i wanted Folau, he would have covered up for some of our forwards and their lack of experience.

Shows how much we missed Hoppa.

Every team has the 2,3,4,5 taking hitups early in sets after a kick in general play. That is their job. If you think it isn't, then watch more footy!!!!

Hopoate is superb at meterage out of our own end - go look at his hitup numbers, they are eye popping. Sio is also quite good.
Semi is poor in this area, Toutai and Tonga are ok, and Morgan is pathetic.

In all seriousness though, we seemed to do it for complete sets on the weekend. Is that what all other teams do? I thought 3 or so tackles was the norm?

oldmancraigy

Coach
You are right, it is normally the first 3ish. On occasion it will br 5, but that is super rare.

Props play 40m each for a reason - it is their job ti get back and get a hitup in. Ideally the middle third backrower takes one - and brings some sting in D so the props arent knackered.
Mau was great earlier in making that odd run, and i suppose it highlights how thin we are defensively in the back row? Because only edwards has defensive.presence, the props make more tackles than they ought, dont hit the ball up, backs take all 5.

I guess it is why we looked better before Lussick went off last game, more grunt through the guts has a carry on effect.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Oh, I don't actually watch footy. I find this allows me to come at it with fresh ideas.

But yeah, Morgan is pathetic at it. Is Semi really poor though? I thought he carted it about 15 metres a couple of times on the weekend.

I dont watch it either, i just post about thr things i read in the papers.
Was hoping i could force you to watch and confirm for me....