What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RD15: Parramata Eels Vs Storm AAMI Park 2pm 22/6/14

Gazzamatta

Coach
For a team to defend successfully, each player must have confidence in his team mate. Obviously Sandow was a major issue in this area last season. That has now been addressed and shows great improvement. This year our worst defender is Joseph Paulo. Sure he gets his numbers up being second or third man in but his one on one defence is disgraceful. Melbourne targeted him yesterday and it was a master stroke. If Paulo does manage a one on one tackle he is dragged and embarassingly left on the ground as the opposition play the ball. His wrestle is under 20 stuff. His willingness to get to marker or back in the line is even worse.
Im also sick to death of his media interviews telling everyone how tough the team has become. If this guy is persisted with expect every team to now target his ineffective defence.
Gower to lock and at best Paulo on the bench once Parramatta are on top. For the occasional good attacking effort, this guy is a total defensive passenger.

parramaniac2516

Juniors
Somebody really needs to give one on one training with terepo. I cannot count how many times this year the guy has had the line wide open and he bombs a try by dropping the ball cold.

Chipmunk

Coach
What does he do Bigfella?

Genuine question!

My observations:
1st job: play the forwards through the middle (ie, stand 1 off, and have a big guy running to one, or both, sides, attract some defence in order to promote their meterage)
2nd job: run the ball (if the gap opens up for him)
3rd job: pass the ball to the halves on the long 'swing' plays

In the Penrith game, when Paulo goes to hooker, Gower plays the role, and does it well. He seemed fairly comfortable on the long swing plays, and perhaps didn't play the forwards through the middle quite as much (but that's weeks ago now and my memory is hazy)

I don't think it is designed around Paulo, more a case of using the skills of an experienced player the best way possible?

For mine Paulo is primarily in the team to perform some of the tasks that a halfback generally would, because the player we play in the 7 doesn't do all those traditional halfback tasks. So we split these tasks up between a few players, because even if your 7 doesn't do all the tasks, they still need to get done. When we find someone else in the team to be able to perform the halfback tasks that Paulo does, then we won't need to keep playing him.

If you look at earlier in the season, when Kelly was playing in the 7, Paulo was mostly playing on the interchange bench, because Kelly performed alot more general halfback tasks than Sandow. I'm not saying that Kelly is a better player than Sandow, I'm just saying that he does more half-back tasks than Sandow, which means that you do not need someone else on the field to do as many halfback tasks.

It's all about team balance and I think with Sandow playing in the 7 we have to have players on the field who can play different sort of roles than there position is used to. Full credit to BA here for coming up with a game plan that has suited the players at his disposal.

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
What are these halfback tasks?

I'd say Norman does them all..

I do not know all the halfback tasks that Paulo would do as I am not on the field, but he wouldn't do too many of them. As you say, Norman would do most of these halfback tasks, but not all, hence the reason why they're all shared. Norman isn't a natural halfback, so he doesn't know how at this stage of his career to do them all. Paulo definitely performs the traditional halfback role of a pivot working with the forwards, which is what a number of halfbacks in the NRL still do, but Sandow and Norman do not really do that all.

Have you ever looked at what happens when Parra get a penalty and we can go on the attack. We take about 30 seconds for us to even kick the ball into touch because half our team is having a meeeting! For mine this is because the "halfback committee" of Sandow, Norman, Hayne, Paulo and Peats (probably now De Gois) have to have a discussion of what they should do. You never see this in any other team in the NRL, they just kick the ball out, the chief organising half calls the play and they get on with. As Parra split the organising halfback role amongst other players they have to consult each other to work out where to go. If we just left it to Sandow to do the organising we would be left with what we have had the last 2 seasons and coming up with absolutely nothing in the oppositions 20 metre area and Sandow just running it himself.

Whilst Sandow and Norman are the 6 and 7, we will always have to have other players in the team who perform some of the halfback tasks.

Last edited:

Gazzamatta

Coach
Yeah I think he runs hard and is very gutsy. Not many charge in hard as he does.

Would never question his courage or determination. Just think he needs more smarts. Not a great defender, bad hands and runs directly into the defence. If some subtlety could be coached into him he could be great. For mine hes one player who hasnt improved this year while many have.

eel01s

Bench
Has Tanginoa improved??? You could barely tell he was on the field at all. What happened to him? People on here go on about his size, but he didn't look that big compared to the Storm players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He's only big compared to blokes his height. He is actually short for a forward, but has (or had before he got massive) freakish explosive speed (for such a nuggety bloke).

He is undersized for a middle forward, and probably should lose some weight and move back out to the edges.

Gronk

Staff member
He's only big compared to blokes his height. He is actually short for a forward, but has (or had before he got massive) freakish explosive speed (for such a nuggety bloke).

He is undersized for a middle forward, and probably should lose some weight and move back out to the edges.

So you disagree with coach BA who has been playing him in the middle ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So you disagree with coach BA who has been playing him in the middle ?

Not at all. The middle is obviously the best place for him at the moment, after he proved to be a liability on the edges at the start of the year.

There are plenty of undersized middle forwards in the game but most of them play long minutes and wear the 13 jersey (11 in the case of Watmough).

Where do you think Tanginoa is best suited at NRL level?

Gronk

Staff member
Not at all. The middle is obviously the best place for him at the moment, after he proved to be a liability on the edges at the start of the year.

There are plenty of undersized middle forwards in the game but most of them play long minutes and wear the 13 jersey (11 in the case of Watmough).

Where do you think Tanginoa is best suited at NRL level?

Unlike Kearney who had NFI. I support BA cos he does.

When in doubt, my opinion is the opposite of yours.

Latest posts