What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Eels v Rabbits GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 2/7/22

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But you countered Avenger's claim that plenty in the media thought we'd win by saying that the bookies didn't. I would say that if we're fifth favourite then plenty of bookies also thought we'd win.
No it means they thought we might. And if the favourites are paying more than $2 it means that some other winner is more likely than the favourites winning. Imagine a team was paying $13 in a two horse race. They would be extreme underdogs.

the phantom menace

First Grade
If we were only about chasing collisions we wouldn't be the top offloading team in the NRL for the fourth straight year. Chasing the collision refers to improving our weakness, which is getting numbers into the tackle.
Neither of which in isolation win us games against teams we should expect to beat (or into week 3 of the finals) ffs.

Avenger

Immortal
15s now. You got analed. We are 4th favourites. Souths at 41s is a ok bet. Easy run home. If the top 2 cop injuries they are as good a shot as anyone.
If we don’t win both of our next two games I’d be tapping BA on the shoulder and sorting out an exit plan for 2023.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It’s def one of the better squads in the nrl. We’ve beaten Penrith and melb and have several origin players as well as having a fair few finals games under our belts.

so what’s stopping the team progressing?
Playing against teams with more Origin and finals games under their belts? Why does beating Melbourne and Penrith once mean we should expect to beat them every time we meet them? Are you going to have your house on us to beat them a second time? I reckon we'll lose both games, and the bookies will agree.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sorry MJC, I think IFR33K has got a point here. If we can beat those top 2 teams and we can't be consistent enough to beat the lesser teams (I don't consider Souths a lesser team) then there are no excuses. It's a mental thing, and that's on the coach. He doesn't have the intellect to get them up for the games they should win.
If we only care about the finals then the games we 'should win' are irrelevant.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That's like saying Mahoney and Papali'i were unwanted by Parra.
Plenty of good players are 'surprlus to requirements' at striong clubs. That's what makes them strong clubs. Aren't you all for signing an assistant coach from Penrith? Not good enough to be their head coach but good enough to be ours right? Do you even read the shit you type?
Forget 'before the season started'. Townsend was a premiership winner and Dearden and Drinkwater both had enough potential that they ended up in the system of massive junior development clubs like Brisbane and Melbourne. Robson was considered to have huge potential as well. If they were underperforming last year you have to wonder why.
Sleep Yawn GIF

hindy111

Post Whore
Playing against teams with more Origin and finals games under their belts? Why does beating Melbourne and Penrith once mean we should expect to beat them every time we meet them? Are you going to have your house on us to beat them a second time? I reckon we'll lose both games, and the bookies will agree.

I agree with you. They also have heaps better coaches as well

No it means they thought we might. And if the favourites are paying more than $2 it means that some other winner is more likely than the favourites winning. Imagine a team was paying $13 in a two horse race. They would be extreme underdogs.
Yes but it's not a two horse race. In this context, where we were a bit more than double the price of the favourite, saying plenty think we'll win is true.

hindy111

Post Whore
I reckon we're a chance. If you don't why do you bother? Why not f**k off?

The best thing about our flogging I feel is JA hasn't been playing. So he hasn't been the reason why we have been belted.

We look like a side who have had enough mentally but if we do scrape into the finals we potentially could fire up and do some real damage.

Penrith and Storm will fear us more then Manly,Sharks,Brisbane or Cowboys. This is reality. Its a shame we are not consistent anymore but the squads had enough and just can't stay focussed every week at present.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We were an above average chance of winning. I think plenty of bookies would have tipped us to win if such a poll had happened. The fact we were only about double the price of the favourite strongly suggests this.
You need to think about it in the context of the odds. If the best priced team is paying $4 it means nobody could say with confidence that any given team will win it. Even now that it has emerged that Penrith is again the best team in the comp, they are still paying $2.20. In a two horse race (Penrith vs the other 15 teams) $2.20 represents the outsider. If you could bet on Penrith not winning the comp it would pay less than $2. Now repeat that for any set of odds greater than what Penrith are paying and you have an even weaker outsider.

Latest posts