What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd17 2024: 530pm Eels v Knights GAME DAY THREAD @ MJ Stadium June 29th

JokerEel

Coach
I really don't get why he was given so much game time. Came on 10 before halftime and played 20 or so in the 2nd...bewildering stuff.
His dad would've given other debutantes 90 secs or nothing...ask Stefano I'm sure he remembers...what a fraud

Well this is Barrett's first debut at the Eels.. So comparing to him and BA isn't it..

Hands actually came back on and played pretty shit to be honest.

This isn't me saying MA should have played more minutes btw

Soto

Bench
Out of curiosity has anyone cancelled their season tickets yet?
I can't stomach this garbage anymore.
I might go on thurs night, watch us lose live and tell the club to GGF on Friday...
Absolute dogshit from top to bottom...

Lane must be sleeping with the coach ffs he got moved to the middle...
I don't get it... the maths of interchange isn't hard, if we have a standard bench of two middles, one edge, and one utility.

Five middles (three starting, two bench) each need to play an average of 48mins. This could be in the range of say 40-55mins, where the coach wants to give more mins to some players than others. If a middle isn't up to doing a 40min stint, then they simply shouldn't be named on the bench until they are fit.

Three edges (two starting, one bench) each need to play an average of 53mins. This can be in the ratio of say 65 : 65 : 30 minutes if a coach desires - but the point being each edge forward gets a breather.

Two dummy halves/utilities (one starting, one bench), in the ratio of 55 : 25 minutes (preferred player to back up player) is pretty standard.

Then we just have to be careful of some combos on the field at the same time in defence, e.g. who else is on when Paulo is there these days.

Chipmunk

Coach
I don't get it... the maths of interchange isn't hard, if we have a standard bench of two middles, one edge, and one utility.

Five middles (three starting, two bench) each need to play an average of 48mins. This could be in the range of say 40-55mins, where the coach wants to give more mins to some players than others. If a middle isn't up to doing a 40min stint, then they simply shouldn't be named on the bench until they are fit.

Three edges (two starting, one bench) each need to play an average of 53mins. This can be in the ratio of say 65 : 65 : 30 minutes if a coach desires - but the point being each edge forward gets a breather.

Two dummy halves/utilities (one starting, one bench), in the ratio of 55 : 25 minutes (preferred player to back up player) is pretty standard.

Then we just have to be careful of some combos on the field at the same time in defence, e.g. who else is on when Paulo is there these days.
I think your scenario requires 9 interchanges unless you change the dummy half only once.

Realistically having more than 7 interchanges is a risk

Chipmunk

Coach
Yep, but there'd surely be a way to tweak it so it was 8 - only 2 of the starting middles finish the game for example, or by playing the least preferred edge first up as a starter?
Matterson seems like he could come on and play the rest of the game once motivated again. I'm not sure Paulo adds anything after two 20 minute stints.

No Hopgood for the rest of the season should give someone an opportunity.

Chipmunk

Coach
The decision to let Opacic, Nrown, Papali'i, Niukore, Stone and Kaufusi depart, and none of them replaced by a player of an equivalent standard, really exposed the deficiencies of the coaching with a lack of any team work, team systems, and tactics.

The reliance on the sum of the brilliance of the individuals just disintegrated there and then.

BAs days were numbered after that.

You have to wonder whether this was partially intentional...I doubt that though.

Last edited:
Interesting question... who wouldn't want a payout to do the equivalent of nothing for a while/the rest of your contract, if you were getting close to deciding to leave that employer anyway?

It's easier getting paid to basically put your resume together and find a job, then it is to be paid the same/almost the same to do a job while preparing to seek another. Especially when your dream of creating an NRL bench role for your son didn't work out so well for anyone....

eels_fan

First Grade
I won’t shit can Boods as he was ok, we all know he needs a full pre-season under his belt. He needs to build out, and work on the crispness of his service, in saying that I’d rather him for 30mins than Lussick, and Hands can’t play 80, so he may as well learn on the go and stay there.

Without Moses today we lose by 40, maybe 50. He is literally the only good thing going for this club right now. The other 16 players are either unfit or just plain dumb

Last edited:

jason taylor

Bench
I won’t shit can Boods as he was ok, we all know he needs a full pre-season under his belt. He needs to build out, and work on the crispness of his service, in saying that I’d rather him for 30mins than Lussick, and Hands can’t play 80, so he may as well learn on the go and stay there.

Without Moses today we lose by 40, maybe 50. He is literally on only good thing going for this club right now. The other 16 players are either unfit or just plain dumb

Agreed. I'd keep Boods on the bench for the rest of the season, playing ~30 each game to relieve Hands. Then given him a full off season, ditch Lussick and recruit another hooker (even a Zac Woolford or someone similar) to compete with Hands and Boods for 2025. Too late now, but Damien Cook would have been a handy pick up for a couple of seasons.

Latest posts