What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd20: Parra v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank 29/7/22

strider

Post Whore
On the second half vs our first half I reckon a lot of it boils down to that the way the game is played and officiated atm momentum is just such a huge thing, once you have gained it and if you can hold it and score, the defence is forced to make so many consecutive tackles and really just doesn't see any ball.

If you hold it long enough, which we did very well in the first half, your opponent is f**ked energy wise and it becomes very f**king hard for them to wrestle it back.

But with the rest at half time it becomes a reset, and a team like Penrith can and will reset, they are fit and mobile and will back their defence to create that momentum shift, and they did that well. To counter that you gotta take your opportunities, and the key moments for us were the obstruction call on Moses ( fair call ) and the strip on Paulo ( dud call ) . Those two incidents were where we could have regained momentum and gone on with it, but didn't.

That's the difference, in the first half we took those opportunities, in the second we squandered a couple, and that's all it takes, particularly against a quality side like the Pennies. It aint half time talks, or tactics or BA ball ( whatever the f**k that is ) or stupid players lacking pace or skill . It's concentration, attention to detail and probably a fair whack of belief and mental toughness to put effort on top of effort.

I think it's true that we went into the sheds at half time with the win banked, and I think that also played it's part in allowing the Pennies to get on top early and hold the momentum through pretty much the entire half.
The great reset .... see, this shit is f**king real!!!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I didn't talk nothing down. We played against a team with 12 men and there origin halves missing.
You annoyed cause I called a spade a spade. It was 12-4 and as I said I was confident. Even if Nathan only got 10 mins we scored twice. It's 24-4 and game over.
Once they lost Nathan it was game ruined. I would not sit and beat my chest about beating a 12 man side.
Just as I wrote a detailed review on the Brisbane game explaining them scoring 2 x tries when Penisni was in the bin along with 2 that had so much luck.
Peninsi doesn't go to bin we may of won that game imo. It was close and we matched them in many stats. Was I talking Parra down?

I felt the 2nd half was ordinary. Unsure if we took the foot off the pedal. They could of scored 3 x and opened us up a few times. Maybe we where winding it down for next week. I was hoping we out 60 on them and improved our for and against.
Look. It was greatest victory in the history of victories. If you don’t agree you can suck a fart,

yy_cheng

Coach
On the second half vs our first half I reckon a lot of it boils down to that the way the game is played and officiated atm momentum is just such a huge thing, once you have gained it and if you can hold it and score, the defence is forced to make so many consecutive tackles and really just doesn't see any ball.

If you hold it long enough, which we did very well in the first half, your opponent is f**ked energy wise and it becomes very f**king hard for them to wrestle it back.

But with the rest at half time it becomes a reset, and a team like Penrith can and will reset, they are fit and mobile and will back their defence to create that momentum shift, and they did that well. To counter that you gotta take your opportunities, and the key moments for us were the obstruction call on Moses ( fair call ) and the strip on Paulo ( dud call ) . Those two incidents were where we could have regained momentum and gone on with it, but didn't.

That's the difference, in the first half we took those opportunities, in the second we squandered a couple, and that's all it takes, particularly against a quality side like the Pennies. It aint half time talks, or tactics or BA ball ( whatever the f**k that is ) or stupid players lacking pace or skill . It's concentration, attention to detail and probably a fair whack of belief and mental toughness to put effort on top of effort.

I think it's true that we went into the sheds at half time with the win banked, and I think that also played it's part in allowing the Pennies to get on top early and hold the momentum through pretty much the entire half.
I agree but even though it was the panfers, they had 12 men and arguably the best player in the comp and his origin 5/8th out

hindy111

Post Whore
Whats important is now we have 2 points we almost certainly make finals.
Cleary getting suspended helps Souths,Storm and Canbera when they play them.
If we win next week the top 4 spot may not be out of reach just yet.

The Predictor

Juniors
I reckon we would of won regardless. I even mentioned the 3.50 is juicy odds to Pou and offered him a bet straight out head to head.

But I know when I go to work or talk about game to anyone it will be yeah but against 12 men. It's hard not to see it that way. Different if was in the 2nd half but it was after 15mins.
So I am only suggesting I wish he stayed on cause I was confident we win anyhows. And nobody could say against 12 men.
True….Pou seems to have forgotten our shit for and against

Bandwagon

Staff member
I agree but even though it was the panfers, they had 12 men and arguably the best player in the comp and his origin 5/8th out

That's all true, and I think the fact they were missing Cleary ( and to a lesser extent Luai ) is why that despite gaining all the momentum they did through their defense, they didn't convert it into points.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Such a great night being there. The 2s got beat but were magnificent. A man sent off then 13 on 11 for 10 mins to come back from 24 to 12 to level the scores was heroic stuff. Watching Rankin tear into the boys when a try was scored against them was inspiring stuff. I hope Gutho was watching. Their edge D was fantastic.
Zac, Ele and Russell are NRL ready. The 2 hooker rotation of Hands and Rein was outstanding tactically. Id love to see this tactic in the 1s.
Jake in the 2s is exactly where he should be in my opinion. He was average yesterday. Nothing kicks, missed tackles slow as a wet week. Wasnt awful but needs to be left there to develop. I think the 6, Gazniers Grandson is a better player at the moment.
A couple of one on one errors cost them in the end. Fantastic effort boys.
Hopgood was amazing for The Pennys.
Then the 1s came to play.
I loved Moses and Drowns toughness. Moses owned JFH when he ran the edge. Such a good defender now.
Lane, Ice and Matto magnificent.
Reg and Jnr awesome and Rheed had his best game in a while.
I loved Carty getting decent minutes.
I thought Paulos and Regs minutes were about right last night.
Defence so much better with Oppy in the centers. Hopefully BA leaves him there with Waqa on the wing. Oppy should never have been dropped. Maybe BA finally listened to someone.
Bench rotation definitely better.
On the negative side I think Penisini needs a rest. A long year for a rookie. Cini deserves a run to spell Will for a couple of weeks. Hes earned it.
Sivo did his job but still so lazy. Waqa so much better than Simmonson.
I didnt mind the 2nd half. Penrith lifted and our boys stayed in the grind. Professional is what Id call it.
The atmosphere was outstanding. Penrith supporters well behaved and quite pleasant even before our demolition.
The Great Northerns icy cold in Sterlos. A long walk around the new Parramatta and a wander through Peter Wynn's Store. A perfect day at the footy.
Now lets do it all again boys.

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
They could have had 14 men on the field and we still would have belted the absolute panther shit out of them.

You always talk us down and penrith up which is annoying. Lets be very clear on this one - we ripped their panther heads off and shat down their panther necks.
Period !

King-Gutho94

Coach
Defending Premiers don't like coming to parramatta to play. I rememberd this stat from about 5 years ago.

But since 2005 only one team who were defending Premiers have beaten the Eels at the old Parra Stadium or Commbank stadium and that has an asterisk was in 2020 during covid and Roosters were the home team that night.

Quite incredible despite being shit for a lot of that period we always lifted at home against the champs from previous season.

2005 - Dogs - 56-4 W
2006 - Tigers - 28-16 W
2007 - Brisbane - 68-22 W
2008 - Melbourne - 24-22 W
2009 - Didn't play Manly
2010 - Melbourne - 24-10 W
2011 - St George - 14-14 D
2012 - Manly - 29-20 W
2013 - Didn't play Melbourne
2014 - Roosters - 14-12 W
2015 - Souths - 29-16 W
2016 - North Queensland - 20-16 W
2017 - 2019 - Didn't play Defending Premiers in Parramatta
2020 - Roosters - 10-24 L only during covid and Roosters designated home side.
2021 - Storm - 16-12 W
2022 - Penrith - 34-10 W

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
N
Such a great night being there. The 2s got beat but were magnificent. A man sent off then 13 on 11 for 10 mins to come back from 24 to 12 to level the scores was heroic stuff. Watching Rankin tear into the boys when a try was scored against them was inspiring stuff. I hope Gutho was watching. Their edge D was fantastic.
Zac, Ele and Russell are NRL ready. The 2 hooker rotation of Hands and Rein was outstanding tactically. Id love to see this tactic in the 1s.
Jake in the 2s is exactly where he should be in my opinion. He was average yesterday. Nothing kicks, missed tackles slow as a wet week. Wasnt awful but needs to be left there to develop. I think the 6, Gazniers Grandson is a better player at the moment.
I loved Moses and Drowns toughness. Moses owned JFH when he ran the edge. Such a good defender now.
Defence so much better with Oppy in the centers. Hopefully BA leaves him there with Waqa on the wing. Oppy should never have been dropped. Maybe BA finally listened to someone.
On the negative side I think Penisini needs a rest. A long year for a rookie. Cini deserves a run to spell Will for a couple of weeks. Hes earned it.
I didnt mind the 2nd half. Penrith lifted and our boys stayed in the grind. Professional is what Id call it.
The atmosphere was outstanding. Penrith supporters well behaved and quite pleasant even before our demolition.
The Great Northerns icy cold in Sterlos. A long walk around the new Parramatta and a wander through Peter Wynn's Store. A perfect day at the footy.
Nice assessment .. agree re: penisini, he’s a fantastic young player with a bright future but he needs a rest. Many rookies come in and out of the top grade early in their career and I reckon it a good time to give him a rest.
Definitely a couple of guys in Reggie’s who should get a run as they have deserved -Cini and Russell - and it will put us in stead come finals time.
And yes we are a better side with waqa on the wing and Simonson not in the team

King-Gutho94

Coach
We will. No chance he will go to that train wreck.
I hope so but trying not to get my hopes up too much that Papa stays.

As the Tigers have that Brydens lawyer as chairman who threatens legal action whenever something doesn't go his way especially contracts.

Which he does have a registered contract with them I would say. So it would be hard to get out of if the Tigers won't play handball.

Wally21

Bench
Great post Gaz. Just the way a day at the footy in Parra should be!!

King-Gutho94

Coach
Just caught up on the fox post game show.

Gee Brandy was quick to grade the Clsary tackle a Grade 2.

Poor guy looked shellshocked on the panel tbh.

And should board members be talking about possible outcomes at the judiciary in regards to there team before the charge sheet comes out.

Coaches get in trouble if they talk about it.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Hopefully we win at the Absoestos shit hole next week so we can get some momentum leading into another similar crowd against souffs in 2 weeks.