What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd20: Parra v Roosters GAME DAY thread @ Mackay 29/7/21

Eelementary

Post Whore
Gutho made 12 TB's as compared to Teddy's 7 last night. In a night I reckon most agree he wasn't at his best.

He's currently 10th in the NRL for TB's this year, and he's 4th for run meters. What he lacks is the speed to finish, not the ability to break tackles.

Gutherson has scored a few long-range tries.

He isn't Addo-Carr quick, but he's quick enough.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, I can't bring myself to look back through this thread, but we should be the no 1 team at playing in conditions like that after our 5 years experience playing in Darwin. I can normally see the positives after a loss, but that was inexcusable last night. I think I'll give myself a week off. Very disappointed.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
First thing bushy should do for next week, is take the captaincy off Gutho. Gutho is becoming the next hayne for me. I can't believe it, but I cannot stand Gutho anymore.

Next thing bushy should do, is stand down from coaching.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
First thing bushy should do for next week, is take the captaincy off Gutho. Gutho is becoming the next hayne for me. I can't believe it, but I cannot stand Gutho anymore.

Next thing bushy should do, is stand down from coaching

Happy MEel

First Grade
Who are these useless players? I can’t recall any you have posted. Name some.
I’ve certainly been critical of Waqa and Sivo

I’ve also been critical of Lane and Nrown and think we should have tried to replace them in our squad.

I’ve given it to Smith but he seems to know his role and place in the squad now and is playing accordingly.

I’ve stated plenty of times that Drown is not a half so unless he is happy to move to centre or fullback I’d be looking to move him on.

Ive spent a good few pages on this forum giving my opinion on JA.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I've said this 50x now.

Our season never builds. We are as good in round one as we are in round 25. Our decline is more the fact other sides slowly improve and adjust game as they get better.
Perhaps sides like Storm hit ground running. But look at South's and how they are gaining momentum for example. Look how the Rooster where able to blood and adjust game after losing key players.

The coach I think is ok. But he doesn't seem to try new ideas. Gutherson is one of our best. But long term he doesn't have the electricity to be a dangerous ball running fullback.
Look how Teddy and Ropana blew us apart. Just like Lockyer had to move I would say time for Clint.

Opacic from day dot showed lack of pace and unable to bust a tackle. Was no reason to sign him up unless it was back up intentions only.

Jake Arthur's to.his credit has a decent short kick game. He may develop into a solid option but blind Freddy could see he isn't ready. W.Smith was our most dangerous player and should be in the 13. Give him a chance.

D.Brown creates nothing. His kicking is ok and great defense but what else does he do in attack that he couldn't do at centre? Is he a 5/8 long term? Possible he is but I do not see it at this stage.

I'd love to see us run with a backline of

1W.Smith/Guth
2 Sivo/Fergo
3 Penisini
4 D.Brown/W.Smith
5 Waqa
6 Gutherson/D.Brown
7 Moses
Yep…for mine:

1. Drown/Smith
2. Sivo/Fergo/Dunster
3. Penisini
4. Smith/Drown
5. Waqa
6. Gutho
7. Moses

Chipmunk

Coach
I would challenge any coach to get our current top 30 squad to the level of Melbourne or Penrith in 2020 and 2021.
I don't necessarily agree with this. Look at the players the Storm put into their system and how they play, even now without the likes of Slater, Smith, Cronk, etc..

George Jennings from our own system is a prime example. This is a player we were happy to loan out rather than give a game too. If Fergo and Sivo are poor, why would we not give this bloke a game ahead of them.

Nicho Hynes was unwanted by Manly and became Queensland Cup level. I think the jury is out on whether he will provide the same at the Sharks, time will tell.

The Tigers let Papenhuyzen and Addo-Carr go. Are they really that poor at talent identification or have these players just thrived in better environments.

Jahrome Hughes was in the Roosters system, and only a back up player at two other clubs. I'd be very surprised if Jahrome Hughes plays half back at any other premiership winning team at another club. I'd be surprised if he even makes most teams Top 17's. He would've struggled to get a game in our club.

Kenny Bromwich would struggle to make the starting 13 of many NRL teams.

Reimis Smith was probably always going to go better in a good team, but why didn't we look at him in a position we needed players?

Justin Olam likely never plays an NRL game unless he goes to the Storm.

Their bench most weeks at the moment is one decent player and 2-3 Qld Cup journeyman. Their first choice 1 and 9 have hardly played all year, yet they're breaking point scoring records.

On either talent, general performance or salary levels we have a better 1, 4, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 16 & 17 from their current team (Papenhuyzen and Grant not their current 1 or 9).

I'd argue the middle of Paulo, RCG, Brown, Niukore, Lane, Kaufusi has the potential as a group to be at least as good as Bromwich, Welsh, Finucane, Nelson, Tui, Qld Cup Journeyman of the day.

Last edited:
Of course it’s his fault. He recruited them. There have been plenty of players in the market. Good young players and he has opted to keep these players instead. I can’t see your point but an attempt to shift the blame. He lives and dies by the performance of his team by the players HE RECRUITED.

The end.

8 years of the same shit. It gets a bit boring l. He has to go. This time round we aren’t losing every game in the final we are losing the 5 run in games into the finals as well. It’s BA CHOKE TIME, just come a little earlier this time round

Eelementary

Post Whore
Watch him when he makes a break, he's always looking to support to pass, because he knows he hasn't the speed over any real distance, it's not a criticism, it's just an acknowledgment of his limitations.
He's not lightning quick, true - but he's quick enough to get the job done.

Eelementary

Post Whore
What is it you believe our roster is lacking?

Because on paper, at least:

Matterson
Brown
Lane
Paulo

Are some of the most skilful forwards in the entire NRL.

Moses is - on talent alone - in the top tier of halfbacks in the NRL.

Gutherson is in a form slump, but at his best, we all know what he brings.

Mahoney is a borderline Origin-level hooker.

Waqa Blake is a dangerous attacking threat.

But the team plays...stupidly, I guess? No backup plans, no "eyes up" footy, and no instincts for the game.

I am a big believer in constructive criticism - I don't want to put shit on Brad just for the sake of it -; however, he is the Head Coach, and the team is not playing to their potential. The buck stops with him.

I don't for a minute believe we can win the Premiership in 2021, but by the same token, if this team was playing to their potential, then we would trouble the top sides, imo.

With a roster like the one we have, I am sure that an experienced, quality coach could squeeze some consistency out of us.

Credit where it is due - Brad got RCG, and Moses, to play career-best football.

But the rest of the team is not playing to their potential.

We may still have lost last night had Bennett/Hasler/Macguire/Bellamy been our coach, but I am sure we would have used our players to their potential a little better.

I am eternally grateful to Brad for picking us up out of the depths of despair when we needed it most, but a change is needed.

I don't want him sacked necessarily, but we need a change.

If the players are lazy, then it's Brad's job to bring up player performances to his expectations.

If I don't do my job properly, then I get a talking to from my boss - this isn't any different, I don't think.

Of course, there are proper ways to do so (eg: behind closed doors), but if players keep making bone-headed, lazy plays, and there are no ramifications for their actions, why would the players change?

I suspect that Gutherson's blow up yesterday was symptomatic of this - love him or hate him, Gutherson always gives 100%, and I believe his frustrations came to the surface, because Arthur is not showing enough leadership to set proper expectations, and hold his players accountable, and Gutherson let his frustrations get the better of him.

It's time to step up, Brad - be a leader. Make some change.

TheRam

Coach
We need to fix this shit and make some big changes for next week, I’d rather go out giving game time to some youngsters

1. Gutho
2. Russell
3. Penisini
4. Waqa
5. Dunster
6. Brown
7. Moses
8. Kaufusi
9. Mahoney
10. Paulo
11. Papalii
12. Matto
13. Brown

14. Smith
15. Makatoa
16. Hipgrave
17. Lane

That would be my team for next week, except I would put Cartwright in for Hipgrave. I don't see any difference between Hipy and Stone. And Makahesi Makatoa's inclusion is way over due. I think he would bust a gut if coach put him in.

Chipmunk

Coach
That would be my team for next week, except I would put Cartwright in for Hipgrave. I don't see any difference between Hipy and Stone. And Makahesi Makatoa's inclusion is way over due. I think he would bust a gut if coach put him in.
Would we let Cartwright play his natural game though? If we just want him to take bonehead hitups, then Hipgrave is the better option. How Ray Stone makes a team ahead of both of them is beyond me.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Well they do tell a story, he’s completely devoid of ideas and has no idea why we are struggling. It was the same old story in 2018. He barley has a plan A let alone a plan B. Bellamy probably gets down to F but it’s not like he needs to go that far.
They don’t tell you anything other than that what he decides to share with the media.

People looking for media conferences as a source of truth are dumb arses.