What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd20: Parra v Roosters GAME DAY thread @ Mackay 29/7/21

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I stand by my statement. No one asked for bad coaching. When people including me asked for less one dimensional and predictable style, most of us weren't asking for Parra style jungle ball that will always lead to cumulative damaging and ultimately fatal errors.

To change our style from the style that our players are so robotically comfortable with in the space of 7 days and without our best playmaker for offload at will stuff was suicidal. Sure add a couple of subtle plays that would allow for a proper shift when we are getting gang tackled, but jungle ball? Really!!?

To make major changes to the way we play now after we have been playing the way we do for two seasons was madness and atrocious reactive to criticism coaching. Like I have said before we need to train for what we play. We haven't been training with expansive football in mind. We train for effort and collision. Period! Everyone can see that.

He is so far off knowing how to get players to think and innovate on the run it isn't funny. What you don't do though is what he did last night. Ask two very limited playmakers to break out of what they have been asked to do and trained for forever and a day and play like it's 9's football.

Absolutely shocking coaching.
No, you weren't expecting Parraball because you overestimate the players and tend to think they can do more than what they are likely capable of.

Pou, Emjaycee and myself all made the point that the coach has become conservative with his gameplans because it appears to be more effective.

We also suggested that any attempt to deviate from the plan often involves the players shitting themselves, running sideways and generally Parra f**ken balling.

The game against the Rooters was the very embodiment of what we were suggesting.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Wouldn't Penisini - being a rookie - cost us less?

His defence is at NRL level, but he is already a better attacker than Opacic.

I like Opacic, but he has some dumb errors in him - mostly in the form of a dropped ball, or two.
I think Penisini is more likely to have a shocker, especially in defence. Opacic had his worst game of the season last night, after a couple of disrupted weeks, but he has otherwise been solid all year. Penisini ran well last week but he missed more tackles than Opacic does in a typical game. Penisini will be a better player, probably as soon as next year, but in a must win game I'd prefer Opacic in 2021.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
To make major changes to the way we play now after we have been playing the way we do for two seasons was madness and atrocious reactive to criticism coaching.
Arthur implied at the presser that it wasn't his idea to throw the ball around. They went away from the gameplan. Yes, if it keeps happening it means there's a problem, but in nearly every game this year our discipline and patience have been good. I hope we get back to what works next week. It worked when we put five tries past Easts earlier this year. Hopefully we can make it work against Souths. If Moses is out I don't like our chances, regardless of who wears 7.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Already readying yourself with an excuse?
Excuse for what? I don't ever expect us to beat better teams, though I always hope for it. I actually think we played well in five of our six finals under Arthur's. We were just outclassed. The one time we didn't play well was when we got belted by Melbourne the week after the 58-0 training run against the Broncos.

Do you think there might be a reason/excuse we scored 30+ earlier in the year against the two teams we struggled to score against this past fortnight? The Canberra game was high quality but last night was hardly a high intensity prelude.

Latest posts