What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd22: Parra v Titans LIVE GAME DAY thread 16/8/19

Noise

Coach
I was trying to think who Blake reminded me off. A big frame merkin who runs powerfully yet very well balanced. Then it dawned on me. Who else but the ultimate athlete?

[By the way, wasn’t he offside? :thinking:]
I reckon he was just onside. And Bolt doesn’t have a big frame. He is quite tall and lean.

I was trying to think who Blake reminded me off. A big frame merkin who runs powerfully yet very well balanced. Then it dawned on me. Who else but the ultimate athlete?

[By the way, wasn’t he offside? :thinking:]

I was saying that watching do sprints in rehab
He also has a huge right foot step watch for it

strider

Post Whore
Given that we were talking about replacements for Ma'u, I thought I should let you know that Shaun Lane already plays for us and as good as he is, he can't replace Manu on the right edge AND maintain his excellent role of us on the left edge.
Dunno ... he is a big guy ... maybe he can cover both sides

hindy111

Post Whore
Given that we were talking about replacements for Ma'u, I thought I should let you know that Shaun Lane already plays for us and as good as he is, he can't replace Manu on the right edge AND maintain his excellent role of us on the left edge.

I am aware of this. But people saying he is not replaceable give me a break.
Plenty of better 2nd rowers around. He is better then your average ones but isn't in the top shelf category.

emjaycee

Coach
I am aware of this. But people saying he is not replaceable give me a break.
Plenty of better 2nd rowers around. He is better then your average ones but isn't in the top shelf category.
But you said you would prefer Lane to replace Ma'u... how would this work?

hindy111

Post Whore
Reason why. Manu is great when we have space and the defense is retreating. He is almost like a centre. But I reckon put a lot of ther 2nd rowers in that space and they will also do damage.
Lane will actually create space and able too offload in traffic. Almost SBW like and unsure if there is another 2nd rower in the game who can pop balls in such congested areas.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Reason why. Manu is great when we have space and the defense is retreating. He is almost like a centre. But I reckon put a lot of ther 2nd rowers in that space and they will also do damage.
Lane will actually create space and able too offload in traffic. Almost SBW like and unsure if there is another 2nd rower in the game who can pop balls in such congested areas.

Yet Mau has 31 offloads this year from 15 games, and Lane has 18 from 20. So what gives?

I'd say if anything Mau creates more space with speed and footwork, and Lane looks to run straighter and draw defenders, which means he's often in more traffic, and less often one on one.

Mau also has a better draw and pass or late pass at the line, which means defenders can't commit in as many numbers to hold up the ball.