What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd23 2024: 8pm Eels v Panthers GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank Stadium Aug 9th

Eelementary

Post Whore
14 points up at home with 7.30min to go full set on their line attacking.
I reckon 99% of sides hold on in this situation. Maybe even a full NSW cup side.

Yes - my point exactly.

This team is barely NSW Cup standard.

And even NSW Cup defences are shit house.

Tago, Talagi, Lane, Doorey, Greig, Asi - they should all be playing Cup.

Not to mention the team is mentally shot after winning bugger-all games over 2 years.

Why anyone expected THIS team to hold on to a slim lead, is beyond me, tbh....

hindy111

Post Whore
Yes - my point exactly.

This team is barely NSW Cup standard.

And even NSW Cup defences are shit house.

Tago, Talagi, Lane, Doorey, Greig, Asi - they should all be playing Cup.

Not to mention the team is mentally shot after winning bugger-all games over 2 years.

Why anyone expected THIS team to hold on to a slim lead, is beyond me, tbh....

Last try was clear obstructions
But by letting it go it keep the race for minor premiership open and Thursday nights game huge
Amd the race for the spoon open also.

It was in the NRLs best interest to let that go.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Last try was clear obstructions
But by letting it go it keep the race for minor premiership open and Thursday nights game huge
Amd the race for the spoon open also.

It was in the NRLs best interest to let that go.

yeah, well the NRL wasn't refereeing the game mate

do you really think all that goes through a refs mind before be blows the whistle ?

you gotta stop listening to all those conspiracy theorists

King-Gutho94

Coach
I do wonder if we scored that last try does it get called back for obstruction.

Naturally top teams get more calls because instincts are something is wrong if a bottom tram is beating the top team.

Toa Koala try in round 3 that got called back when Jurbo stopped and blocked moretti wasn't as bad as the one on Friday night yet we got the call go our way at the time as we weren't a bottom side.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We could very well be paying overs and offering POs.

I would say that the PO heavy contracts (Brown, Moses, Matto, Penisini, Talagi) have all come after Mahoney, Niukore, Papalli, Kaufusi, Stone etc left the club. Players like RCG, Paulo etc don't have POs cause they re signed 2021 prior all those guys leaving.
RCG had a PO in his last contract and not in his current one. It’s just a bargaining tool. Some players are happy with a PO while others prefer more money up front. It’s that simple. Some agree to a CO in exchange for even more cash, though the club would need to see some benefit to offer a CO in the first place.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We've also not had a defensive structure or mindset for 11 plus years. Ryles will work hard on this. It will make a massive difference. Finally someone who has a f'n clue. Bring it on.
What’s your evidence that Ryles has a clue? Because he was smart enough to sign for Parra?

EelEtric

Juniors
We could very well be paying overs and offering POs.

I would say that the PO heavy contracts (Brown, Moses, Matto, Penisini, Talagi) have all come after Mahoney, Niukore, Papalli, Kaufusi, Stone etc left the club. Players like RCG, Paulo etc don't have POs cause they re signed 2021 prior all those guys leaving.

I think the club panicked (understandability), and decided they needed to do what ever it took to get the deals done. The Brown and Talagi contracts are just odd and look like the player having all the power at the negotiating table.

If the PO offered the kind of salary cap efficiency you claim it does you'd see it more frequently in the league. The Panthers for example, their roster is being torn apart by the Dogs and Tigers atm, yet they don't have a single contract with a PO.

The Lomax contract has no clauses in it even though they asked for a head coach clause. I've also read the club will be moving away from these clauses so it will be interesting to see the simonson contract.
Do you think we will? I mean we haven't seen any previous contracts so it sure would be interesting and kinda cool if they make Simonsson's public - or maybe we will just see what the media speculates and want us to believe is in the contract, to suit whatever agenda that they are pushing at the time.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Not a split second when the bunker can take up to 90 seconds to review a try and all aspects of it and just ignore the blatant obstruction that everyone can see impacted the try being scored.
Only a fool cannot see this....

And it explains the inconsistencies in the bunker decisions......cause surely they cannot seem to be that stupid to keep getting it wrong????

Wally21

Bench
We're coming second last.

We've had a shocking year.

We're missing 7 regular First Graders.

Many people, myself included, predicted we'd get 40 put on us.

I'm sorry, but I can't understand why people though this team should have defended their lead against the best team of the NRL era...

Maybe the 2022, or 2017 side, sure.

But not this team.
I get you Eele. And there were some VERY poor decisions made firstly by our reserve grade 7 to kick on the 3rd and Ron Massey cup winger and 19 year old Judas II. However, the first obstruction gets pulled up, we aren’t talking about it. The blatant offside off the kick gets pulled up, likewise, the 2nd and worst obstruction gets pulled up and we are attacking their line with 3 mins to go.

Wally21

Bench
I do wonder if we scored that last try does it get called back for obstruction.

Naturally top teams get more calls because instincts are something is wrong if a bottom tram is beating the top team.

Toa Koala try in round 3 that got called back when Jurbo stopped and blocked moretti wasn't as bad as the one on Friday night yet we got the call go our way at the time as we weren't a bottom side.
There is no way they award us that try KG. Barrett said as much in the presser

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Not a split second when the bunker can take up to 90 seconds to review a try and all aspects of it and just ignore the blatant obstruction that everyone can see impacted the try being scored.

I get the bunker makes bad decisions as they have a history, but I don't subscribe to the theory that the position on the ladder and the outcome of the game form part of the decision making process

personally I just think they f**ked up

Pazza

First Grade
Do you think we will? I mean we haven't seen any previous contracts so it sure would be interesting and kinda cool if they make Simonsson's public - or maybe we will just see what the media speculates and want us to believe is in the contract, to suit whatever agenda that they are pushing at the time.

You can see lengths of contracts and options here.

Pazza

First Grade
RCG had a PO in his last contract and not in his current one. It’s just a bargaining tool. Some players are happy with a PO while others prefer more money up front. It’s that simple. Some agree to a CO in exchange for even more cash, though the club would need to see some benefit to offer a CO in the first place.

You should share this knowledge with the majority of nrl clubs that don't offer any sort of option. Have you ever thought about being an advisor or consultant to nrl clubs about how to rugby league. You seem to know everything. More than people like Gus and Billy slater for example.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You should share this knowledge with the majority of nrl clubs that don't offer any sort of option. Have you ever thought about being an advisor or consultant to nrl clubs about how to rugby league. You seem to know everything. More than people like Gus and Billy slater for example.
The Storm are leading the comp and they have them. It’s not the problem you’re trying to make it out to be. Some players are happy buying a PO, and some clubs are happy to sell them. Most of the time it doesn’t suit both parties, including at our club.

Pazza

First Grade
The Storm are leading the comp and they have them. It’s not the problem you’re trying to make it out to be. Some players are happy buying a PO, and some clubs are happy to sell them. Most of the time it doesn’t suit both parties, including at our club.

If we had 2 of them like melbourne, it wouldn't be a problem. But we have a lot more than that, all in the same year.

JokerEel

Coach
If we had 2 of them like melbourne, it wouldn't be a problem. But we have a lot more than that, all in the same year.

If we had an owner who also likes to give players shares in his other business we would probably have alot less as well..