What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd23 2024: 8pm Eels v Panthers GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank Stadium Aug 9th

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If we had 2 of them like melbourne, it wouldn't be a problem. But we have a lot more than that, all in the same year.
We have one more than that in the same year, hardly "a lot more". In fact, we have four that year including Sivo's MO (which is a combination of a PO and CO) while the Storm have three in the same year, including Welch's MO. That's 10% of their top 30 in the same year while ours is 13%. It's f**k all. Stop catastrophising.

Pazza

First Grade
We have one more than that in the same year, hardly "a lot more". In fact, we have four that year including Sivo's MO (which is a combination of a PO and CO) while the Storm have three in the same year, including Welch's MO. That's 10% of their top 30 in the same year while ours is 13%. It's f**k all. Stop catastrophising.

We got 5 in Dylan, Penisini, Matterson, Lane and Sivo. Followed by Moses in 2027 and 2028. To compare our situation to Melbourne is disingenuous.

I'm just calling it how I see it. If you wanna call it catastrophising then so be it. Its definately a challenge for our roster moving forward.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We got 5 in Dylan, Penisini, Matterson, Lane and Sivo. Followed by Moses in 2027 and 2028. To compare or situation to Melbourne is disingenuous.
Fair enough. The point is a PO (and player activated MO) are worth less than the player can usually get on the open market, which is why they are so rarely activated by players. The exceptions are when players are injured, as in Welch in 2019, and Hodgson last year. Most of the time players refuse the option because they get better offers, whether from their current club (RCG in 2021) or from a rival (Talagi in 2024). The PO is insurance, not an option to rort the club. If the player is forced to activate the option, things haven't turned out well for him. Like when your wife has to claim on your life insurance.

JokerEel

Coach
Player option would be fine if the club didn't fluff around and resign the player before they get to the option or tell them that once that if the option is taken up they won't be kept after it's done.

Pazza

First Grade
Fair enough. The point is a PO (and player activated MO) are worth less than the player can usually get on the open market, which is why they are so rarely activated by players. The exceptions are when players are injured, as in Welch in 2019, and Hodgson last year. Most of the time players refuse the option because they get better offers, whether from their current club (RCG in 2021) or from a rival (Talagi in 2024). The PO is insurance, not an option to rort the club. If the player is forced to activate the option, things haven't turned out well for him. Like when your wife has to claim on your life insurance.

You have explained this point various times. Now you can explain why parra has many more than other clubs???

Pazza

First Grade
Player option would be fine if the club didn't fluff around and resign the player before they get to the option or tell them that once that if the option is taken up they won't be kept after it's done.

From Nov 1 2023 till the PO deadline (rnd 11) for Talagi was 6 and a half months. That's a hell of an insurance policy. If you saved any money on the first contract, the PO gives the player and his manager the ability to search the market to maximise their value.

Delboy

First Grade
What advantage does a PO give to the club, if the player’s performance worse than his contract amount, he exercises the option for more than he’s actually worth. If he’s playing above his contracted amount, he will either ask for more or go to the market for a bigger contract and likely lost to the club.

Player Option 101 in the hands of player managers, who seem smarter than some club negotiators.

waits for some circular logic from someone who knows more than anyone else.

JokerEel

Coach
What advantage does a PO give to the club, if the player’s performance worse than his contract amount, he exercises the option for more than he’s actually worth. If he’s playing above his contracted amount, he will either ask for more or go to the market for a bigger contract and likely lost to the club.

Player Option 101 in the hands of player managers, who seem smarter than some club negotiators.

100% what did we get from Blaizes PO..

Should have told him October 23 here is a new 3 year contract with top 30 spot.

If you wait till round 11 then go to market we won't be offering you a contract as we have to fill your position and can't wait to negotiate

Eelementary

Post Whore
I get you Eele. And there were some VERY poor decisions made firstly by our reserve grade 7 to kick on the 3rd and Ron Massey cup winger and 19 year old Judas II. However, the first obstruction gets pulled up, we aren’t talking about it. The blatant offside off the kick gets pulled up, likewise, the 2nd and worst obstruction gets pulled up and we are attacking their line with 3 mins to go.

I agree that it was a shocking non-call.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Just watching the FG shoot out in the Phins game.

Had me thinking wtf was kicking a FG for us if we got it back to 36-all by taking the penalty shot to get it to golden point.

With 3 mins to go would have been better just going for the try seriously with 2 sets attacking the line.

Cleary would have potted one over 1st chance he got.

Who for us was going to kick one in GP.

JokerEel

Coach
Just watching the FG shoot out in the Phins game.

Had me thinking wtf was kicking a FG for us if we got it back to 36-all by taking the penalty shot to get it to golden point.

With 3 mins to go would have been better just going for the try seriously with 2 sets attacking the line.

Cleary would have potted one over 1st chance he got.

Who for us was going to kick one in GP.

Gutho kicked one against the Raiders in GP

Asi can also kick them

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You have explained this point various times. Now you can explain why parra has many more than other clubs???
Why do I need to explain it? I'm not the one complaining about them. Personally I think we have struggled to fit merkins under the cap since 2021, and we have compensated by offering player/mutual options as well as, in some cases, a year longer than we would have liked. I doubt we would've had the premiership window we did without these things, since we don't seem to have ways to get away with paying merkins outside the cap.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
From Nov 1 2023 till the PO deadline (rnd 11) for Talagi was 6 and a half months. That's a hell of an insurance policy. If you saved any money on the first contract, the PO gives the player and his manager the ability to search the market to maximise their value.
They already had the ability to go to market, whether he had a PO or not. He was off contract.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What advantage does a PO give to the club
The advantage to the club is during negotiations. Just like for a club option, the advantage to the player is during negotiations. After the contract is agreed the advantage then accrues to the holder of the option.

Think of an insurance policy. What advantage does it give to the insurance company? If you crash your car, they are out of pocket. aLl ThE pOwEr Is WiTh ThE dRiVeR fFs!!!1!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
100% what did we get from Blaizes PO..
We presumably got him cheaper for this year than we would have without the PO. The real question is what was the harm of the PO since he didn't end up activating it.
Should have told him October 23 here is a new 3 year contract with top 30 spot.
I'm sure we did offer something like that, but his manager knew it didn't represent a good deal for his client. Just like when a property is put up for auction, the seller wants a bidding war.
If you wait till round 11 then go to market we won't be offering you a contract as we have to fill your position and can't wait to negotiate
He told us long before round 11 that he wasn't interested in activating the PO. It was worthless to him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But the club can't spend the money till the player rejects or take up the option. Are we just going to go around in circles forever.....
It's no different to making an offer to any off contract player. While they're waiting for him to make a decision they can't offer that money to anyone else.

Do you really think you're aware of this and the clubs aren't? There's 13 player options and 18 mutual options across the NRL. The clubs are aware that there's a chance the player will activate the option. I'd say in most cases they are happy for the player to stay at the club.

Last edited: