What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd24 Eels v Cowboys GAME DAY thread 24/8/18

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I agree Pete but only Brown and Alvaro make last nights team I reckon and who would BA have left out? Gower? Vave? Wouldnt have made much difference.
I was there when Ken Thornett retired. Twice. Lol.

So you don’t think Manu, Edwards and T-rex also makes the side?

8. Alvaro
9. Mahoney
10. Peni
11. Manu (can play middle and was)
12. Marata/Moeroa
13. Brown

14. T-rex
15. Edwards (yes we sacked him, but don’t forget the squad was put together assuming he was here)
16. Moeroa/Marata
17. Mannah

That’s potentially the best pack we could have had for this year yet several are unavailable or can’t play a full game.

The biggest problem we had last night in the first 20 apart from no ball, was our line speed was f**ked, I suspect Manu, Brown, Alvaro and Mahoney starting potentially changes that!!

parra pete

Referee
I agree Pete but only Brown and Alvaro make last nights team I reckon and who would BA have left out? Gower? Vave? Wouldnt have made much difference.
I was there when Ken Thornett retired. Twice. Lol.

I was at Coolah when Dunedoo defeated Ken's previously undefeated Coonabarabran in the 1969 Group 14 Grand Final (Ken played lock)

Gazzamatta

Coach
So you don’t think Manu, Edwards and T-rex also makes the side?

8. Alvaro
9. Mahoney
10. Peni
11. Manu (can play middle and was)
12. Marata/Moeroa
13. Brown

14. T-rex
15. Edwards (yes we sacked him, but don’t forget the squad was put together assuming he was here)
16. Moeroa/Marata
17. Mannah

That’s potentially the best pack we could have had for this year yet several are unavailable or can’t play a full game.

The biggest problem we had last night in the first 20 apart from no ball, was our line speed was f**ked, I suspect Manu, Brown, Alvaro and Mahoney starting potentially changes that!!
In my opinion Manus form was average prior to his injury. Edwards was always one brain snap from diabolical consequences and T Rex, while he had a few good runs when he played, I dont think hes better than Tepai or Marata. Just my opinion of cause but I reckon tactics and fitness contributed much more to our poor form than injurys did.

Eelogical

Referee
Penalty analysis of last night's game.
First half penalty count favoured the Cowboys 6-3 with three penalties given to them within the first two minutes. After that it was an equal share until the 40th minute.
Second half also favoured the Cowboys 5-3 with them getting four straight (including an Eels sin bin) until the 67th minute where the Eels then got three in a row before gifting the last penalty to the Cowpokes. Make of these stats what you will, just throwing it out there.

Kornstar

Coach
First half penalty count favoured the Cowboys 6-3 with three penalties given to them within the first two minutes. After that it was an equal share until the 40th minute.
Second half also favoured the Cowboys 5-3 with them getting four straight (including an Eels sin bin) until the 67th minute where the Eels then got three in a row before gifting the last penalty to the Cowpokes. Make of these stats what you will, just throwing it out there.

Game was well and truly over but it is also noted that there was no warning after their 3rd in a row, unlike ours......

Eelogical

Referee
Game was well and truly over but it is also noted that there was no warning after their 3rd in a row, unlike ours......

Just saying. The players know the rules but they are coached to push them as far as they can. Of course, there are exceptions where you can't educate idiots.

strider

Post Whore
2 of our 3 first half penalties were for crusher tackles ... only one of which i thought was a penalty

so only one of our first half penalties was cos the cows did something other than sit on our necks funny in a tackle .... I don't recall what it was for

mind you we had no ball - so hard to get a penalty when the other team is handed so much possession

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I was at Coolah when Dunedoo defeated Ken's previously undefeated Coonabarabran in the 1969 Group 14 Grand Final (Ken played lock)

old mate down at my local played hooker in that team, played with the mayor for 2 years at the end of his career

eel01s

Bench
What was with our defence and line speed? Especially the first 20 minutes? We couldn't defend the first set of six after the cannonball penalty. That tells me we were not "up" for this game.

When you are travelling away, looking to avoid the wooden spoon and knowing that the whole "script" for the game is that you lose, wouldn't you be extra determined to "show them" up?

We couldn't do that right from the start.

I am sorry, but IMO Arthur, and many of the players, need to be held accountable.

beave

Coach
Thought you blokes had some rubbish calls at times against you by the officials but they never seemed up for it from the first set (the canonball penalty in the first set was just pure stupidity).

Commiserations on the impending wooden cutlery, injuries have cruelled you lot for a lot of the year, hopefully you come back bigger and better next year.

Kornstar

Coach
We deserve the spoon. Worse team in comp for me.
Manly,Titans,cowboys, Dogs showed more this season. I cant argue that we are worse team of the 16 this season.

Cowboys are on par to be honest, what’s worse is that they were grand finalists and have the apparent GOAT in their team and plenty of SOO and international players too.......we can make no such claim.......

hindy111

Post Whore
Cowboys are on par to be honest, what’s worse is that they were grand finalists and have the apparent GOAT in their team and plenty of SOO and international players too.......we can make no such claim.......

There seasons more dissapointing. But they pushed some better teams. We didnt do a lot all year.

beave

Coach
We deserve the spoon, I’m not arguing it but the Cowboys, wow! And they re-signed the coach!!!

You do realise in his 3 years with NQ, Green got us to 2 GF’s and the game before a GF? This years been rubbish obviously but f**k me, he and Bellamy have been the best 3 coaches during that period, we would have been idiots to not re-sign him for 2019.

Eelogical

Referee
You do realise in his 3 years with NQ, Green got us to 2 GF’s and the game before a GF? This years been rubbish obviously but f**k me, he and Bellamy have been the best 3 coaches during that period, we would have been idiots to not re-sign him for 2019.
Bellamy and Green have had some prized Wagyu in their respective herds. We've had a combination of jerseys and Brown's cows in ours.

Kornstar

Coach

I’m actually not criticising it, it’s more the Eels supporters who want to sack BA before his contract is up. We’ll never learn.