What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd26 2024: Non Parra games

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Robinson's side is very lucky that it was 14-12 in the end and thank goodness the better team one because the Roosters got some very lucky calls. Some of the decisions in that game were some of the worst officiating Ive ever seen. Raiders were penalised for an accidental knee on Butcher. I had no idea why the Roosters got a penalty of Walker's injury. That supposed hip drop was just an unfortunate for Smith and he was already injured anyway. Robinson then blames Whitehead who was just trying to check on Smith's welfare. P1ss off you grub. I hope they get knocked out in straight sets.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
To sound like Mr Escobar 😍

How many premierships we won in that time?
*games

Premierships isn't a granular enough metric to support much of an assessment. For example, for the entirety of Gutherson's Eels career, only four clubs have won the comp. Thirteen clubs have failed to win premierships. The way to distinguish these clubs is by win rate, because it is different for all of them, while the number of premierships is identical (zero).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Raiders also had their halves out and lost Ropana early so basically their spine. Ricky's always seems to be able a few times a year get his side up against a top shelf side when they are 5 or 6-1 odds.
BA I don't think did it once in 11yrs. He is a far better coach.
Sticky is far better than most coaches. He is elite.

Thirteen clubs have failed to win premierships. The way to distinguish these clubs is by win rate, because it is different for all of them, while the number of premierships is identical (zero).
Would not a better way to distinguish them be by how close they have come to winning a premiership in that time, and how often?

Number of times as grand finalists, then number of times as semi-finalists (reaching final four), etc?

Lock it in Eddie!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Would not a better way to distinguish them be by how close they have come to winning a premiership in that time, and how often?

Number of times as grand finalists, then number of times as semi-finalists (reaching final four), etc?

Lock it in Eddie!
It's increasingly more granular than number of premierships but still based on very limited data. Number of wins is significantly more data, and therefore supports a more accurate assessment.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
An asssessment of something admitted not as relevant to the item of actual interest, which is winning premierships (or getting as close as you can.
Premierships is just a low granularity function of team strength. A far more granular function of team strength is games won. There's no magic formula to winning premierships that doesn't apply to winning other sorts of games. If the team is good enough and plays for long enough it will win grand finals.

lucablight

First Grade
Premierships is just a low granularity function of team strength. A far more granular function of team strength is games won. There's no magic formula to winning premierships that doesn't apply to winning other sorts of games. If the team is good enough and plays for long enough it will win grand finals.
I don’t agree with this (that if you play long enough you’ll win grand finals). During our last two periods of being regular finalists (premiership window if you will) (05-09) and (19-22) we were potentially good enough but never won a grand final.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t agree with this (that if you play long enough you’ll win grand finals).
I said if they’re good enough.
During our last two periods of being regular finalists (premiership window if you will) (05-09) and (19-22) we were potentially good enough but never won a grand final.
Those are petty small windows though, and there were stronger teams than ours in that time, except in ‘05. It would’ve been nice for those stronger teams to fall over during those years but the only time the strongest team did shit itself was in 2005 when it was us.

lucablight

First Grade
I said if they’re good enough.

Those are petty small windows though, and there were stronger teams than ours in that time, except in ‘05. It would’ve been nice for those stronger teams to fall over during those years but the only time the strongest team did shit itself was in 2005 when it was us.
I think saying if they’re good enough is a superfluous comment. It’s like saying a team is likely to win if they score more points than the opposition.

We got unlucky in 2005 losing Fui and Hindmarsh on the cusp on the finals. They were our two best forwards. I don’t think that’s stated enough. I’d actually argue that 2007 was a bigger missed opportunity. We had a crazy good backline of Hayne, Inu, Tahu, Grothe all at the peak of their powers along with Peak Cayless, Hindmarsh and Fui.
2021 was a huge missed opportunity as well. Penrith were really busted but we just couldn’t land the killer blow. Even though we made the grand final in 2022 that team didn’t have the same defensive steel. I’d argue both of those teams (07 and 21) were good enough to go all the way.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think saying if they’re good enough is a superfluous comment. It’s like saying a team is likely to win if they score more points than the opposition.
The disclaimer of being ‘good enough’ is to distinguish from teams that aren’t, which includes the Eels for much of the past 38 years. It’s a claim that can’t be properly tested, other than if they are the single team to win the comp in a given year. That’s the only team that has objectively proven to be good enough to win. But the fact of other teams not winning doesn’t prove none of them were good enough to win. We need to look at other subjective indicators, on which we obviously won’t agree.
We got unlucky in 2005
You can’t help bad luck.
losing Fui and Hindmarsh on the cusp on the finals. They were our two best forwards. I don’t think that’s stated enough. I’d actually argue that 2007 was a bigger missed opportunity. We had a crazy good backline of Hayne, Inu, Tahu, Grothe all at the peak of their powers along with Peak Cayless, Hindmarsh and Fui.
2021 was a huge missed opportunity as well. Penrith were really busted but we just couldn’t land the killer blow. Even though we made the grand final in 2022 that team didn’t have the same defensive steel. I’d argue both of those teams (07 and 21) were good enough to go all the way.
I think the years we were a realistic chance of winning the comp (in my opinion that is 10% or better chance) since 1986 were:

1998-2001
2005-2009
2019-2023

In that time we made three grand finals, so we weren’t far off. I’d argue that in all three games we faced an opponent that was at least superior on paper. In fact I would say all three teams overachieved to make the grand final, yes even the 2001 side. That was a solid squad elevated by Brian Smith genius to exploit a very poor ruck interpretation.

Premierships is just a low granularity function of team strength.
But winning premierships what it's all ultimately about, ffs.
A far more granular function of team strength is games won. There's no magic formula to winning premierships that doesn't apply to winning other sorts of games. If the team is good enough and plays for long enough it will win grand finals.
Not some sustainable business model for achieving enduring mediocrity for a century.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But winning premierships what it's all ultimately about, ffs.
It is but it takes some luck. Are Hagan and Maguire better coaches than Brian Smith? I think they were just lucky. Smith was very unlucky. If you can win a preliminary final there’s no reason you can’t win a grand final, and Smith won four preliminaries.

It is but it takes some luck.
As does succeeding in life.
Are Hagan and Maguire better coaches than Brian Smith?
What's that got to do with why you need to look at how close a team specifically gets to winning a premiership, rather than some generic win-rate factor for all games?
I think they were just lucky. Smith was very unlucky.
Yes, you would leave it at over-simplistic luck.
If you can win a preliminary final there’s no reason you can’t win a grand final, and Smith won four preliminaries.
Yes, it seems Smith came closer to winning a premiership than BA did - would you agree? And if so that proves my point that it's worth looking specifically at win rates for games that put you close to winning a premiership, rather than ignoring or diluting that potential indicator.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As does succeeding in life.

What's that got to do with why you need to look at how close a team specifically gets to winning a premiership, rather than some generic win-rate factor for all games?
Because 'all games' are required to win a premiership. Nobody ever won the comp from 9th place. Or even from 8th.
Yes, you would leave it at over-simplistic luck.
How else would lesser coaches than Brian Smith win premierships?
Yes, it seems Smith came closer to winning a premiership than BA did - would you agree?
They got as close as each other. Would you agree Hagan and Maguire got closer than Smith and Arthur?
And if so that proves my point that it's worth looking specifically at win rates for games that put you close to winning a premiership, rather than ignoring or diluting that potential indicator.
So should we compare their grand final win rate? It's 0% each. How about their preliminary final win rate (38% vs 100%)? Or do you have something very specific in mind?

Latest posts