What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Tigers club news

Nutz

Bench
Why do we have people from the HBG on the Wests Tigers board anyway.
It should be made up of members who have one aim, to see a joint venture succeed and win footy games.
Clearly the old board did not have this focus.
The independent review identified problems in which the board played a huge part. Why hasn't the results of the review be made transparent/actioned.
What needs to happen is a complete independent review on the HBG as they seem to be problem. They were pulling the boards strings.
Barry O'Farrell shook the tree and I believe it's the HBG that's making his appointment or ongoing appointment untenable.
Elevate Talent, the external recruitment firm tasked with filling the positions of a new board, has been asked to suspend the process. Why!
To have another review could bring our club to it's knees though.
The only way out of this mess is Shane Richardson. He signed on the condition there was unity at board level. Clearly that's not happening.
If he threatened to walk it could shake the HBG so all the crap falls out and finally force their hand to step back and allow Richo and co to do their job without influencing them....or it can have to reverse effect by collapsing the whole joint roots and all.
Our only hope for the future rests on the stability and harmony in the Wests Tigers and stop the meddling from HBG. As absurd the latest threat by Leo was it's understandable the frustration Balmain has at HBG failures to come through with promises.
The NRL are expanding and the thought of the NRL choosing between Balmain or Western Suburbs as stand alone clubs is laughable. They wouldn't entertain it.
We need Wests Tigers not Western Suburbs or Balmain.
I've gone on record since 05 saying that our NRL, KOE Cup and possibly Flegg should be all Wests Tigers teams.
Teams below that need to be our pathways - feeder clubs administered by Wests and Balmain. Each having a member on the Wests Tigers board, a HBG rep and the rest independent.
Our board and supporters need to be solely Wests Tigers focussed...not a fractured club. To think otherwise is just dinosaurs stuff.
Next year could make us or break us with a couple of keys signings coming and hopefully more. If we can be a united club and really get behind our team then we could survive. We just can't keep going on the way we have.
Our CEO addresses a few points leading up to our last game.

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach
It should be made up of members who have one aim, to see a joint venture succeed and win footy games.
The independent review identified problems in which the board played a huge part. Why hasn't the results of the review be made transparent/actioned.
What needs to happen is a complete independent review on the HBG as they seem to be problem. They were pulling the boards strings.
Barry O'Farrell shook the tree and I believe it's the HBG that's making his appointment or ongoing appointment untenable.
Elevate Talent, the external recruitment firm tasked with filling the positions of a new board, has been asked to suspend the process. Why!
The only way out of this mess is Shane Richardson. He signed on the condition there was unity at board level. Clearly that's not happening.
If he threatened to walk it could shake the HBG so all the crap falls out and finally force their hand to step back and allow Richo and co to do their job without influencing them....or it can have to reverse effect by collapsing the whole joint roots and all.
Our only hope for the future rests on the stability and harmony in the Wests Tigers and stop the meddling from HBG. As absurd the latest threat by Leo was it's understandable the frustration Balmain has at HBG failures to come through with promises.
The NRL are expanding and the thought of the NRL choosing between Balmain or Western Suburbs as stand alone clubs is laughable. They wouldn't entertain it.
I've gone on record since 05 saying that our NRL, KOE Cup and possibly Flegg should be all Wests Tigers teams.
Teams below that need to be our pathways - feeder clubs administered by Wests and Balmain. Each having a member on the Wests Tigers board, a HBG rep and the rest independent.
Our board and supporters need to be solely Wests Tigers focussed...not a fractured club. To think otherwise is just dinosaurs stuff.
Next year could make us or break us with a couple of keys signings coming and hopefully more. If we can be a united club and really get behind our team then we could survive. We just can't keep going on the way we have.

Because they own 90% of the club, basically they can do whatever they want.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench

Well there you have it. I understand his explanation. I still think a monthly report on the progress may have stopped people from getting edgy.
Still, I have faith in Richo.

Nutz

Bench
Because they own 90% of the club, basically they can do whatever they want.
I understand that but they have a Chairman, CEO and directors. It's a another branch of their company. They need to sit back and let people who know more about the club run it. As Richo said in the video it's taken a while because of legalities but its happening...apparently.

Tigerm

Coach
I understand that but they have a Chairman, CEO and directors. It's an another branch of their company. They need to sit back and let people who know more about the club run it. As Richo said in the video it's taken a while because of legalities but its happening...apparently.
I think they will steer it in a direction that they want (if I owned the joint, I would), but I said earlier, I don’t believe it will affect the footy department.
We are not the only club in this situation.
Anyway, Next Year.

Nutz

Bench
I think they will steer it in a direction that they want (if I owned the joint, I would), but I said earlier, I don’t believe it will affect the footy department.
We are not the only club in this situation.
Anyway, Next Year.
The Football Department is a part of it mate. The future of it is in the hands of those board members pulling its strings which is as you said held by HBG.
That's why it's important that the board is a good one and for example don't sign off on fleeting whims signings...like 4 half's ha ha ;)

Tigerm

Coach
The Football Department is a part of it mate. The future of it is in the hands of those board members pulling its strings which is as you said held by HBG.
That's why it's important that the board is a good one and for example don't sign off on fleeting whims signings...like 4 half's ha ha ;)
The football department is certainly part of the club as a whole, and the board appoint the footy team management, but the footy dept are not involved with who gets a seat on the board.

They would certainly sign off on contracts, but they wouldn’t get involved in the day to day running of the teams.

Let’s face it, we can’t get any lower or worse than where we’ve been, the owners reacted and made the change, I think Richo said, it still needs some time.

Thankfully, we got Richo, when we did.

Nutz

Bench
The football department is certainly part of the club as a whole, and the board appoint the footy team management, but the footy dept are not involved with who gets a seat on the board.

They would certainly sign off on contracts, but they wouldn’t get involved in the day to day running of the teams.

Let’s face it, we can’t get any lower or worse than where we’ve been, the owners reacted and made the change, I think Richo said, it still needs some time.

Thankfully, we got Richo, when we did.
Absolutely, I said in an earlier post that he's the glue. I don't think HBG would call his bluff if it came to that.
Richo is a close friend of our chair and the treatment of him may get Richo offside. Having said that HBG are pulling Richo's strings too imo because of the lack of enthusiasm he has for LO. HBG want us to be totally CS and black and white...that's their history.
The supporters of Tigers and our public image is all that's keeping us in the family I reckon. You've said so many times that winning will quieten the noise and is so true, that's why I said next year is huge for us because the boat can't keep afloat with too many more holes....the journos will see to that.

Fordy20

Juniors
How did it all start and if they didn't pay Balmain's debt, what would've happened to the Tigers?

As I understand it, both Wests and Balmain needed to chip in to run the joint venture Wests Tigers Pty Ltd. After Benny screwed Balmain over, Balmain had no income or ability to meet their obligations for the running of the JV.

The NRL then loaned Balmain the money to pay for their debts to Wests Tigers Pty Ltd. If they didn't pay the loan back, the NRL would have put up the shares in Wests Tigers Pty Ltd for sale and someone else would have owned 50% of Wests Tigers Pty Ltd. Instead, Wests Ashfield paid the debt instead and took ownership of the shares, increasing their holdings to 75%.

Balmain now have a token 10% interest, but with no assets or income of their own, they don't really have any ability to do much. This is not a Wests vs Balmain thing either. Magpies FC are in the same position, they are totally controlled by Wests Ashfield as well. Their Wests Tigers board position is a token gesture as well.

Ultimately things are better under Richo. It makes sense that they can't take action on the independent directors until the new shareholder agreement has been finalised and ratified. Richo's also said that 90% of the recommendations of the Crawford-Barnier report have been implemented, but without seeing the report who knows whether that's correct or not.

All we have to go on is what's been reported and the appointment of independent directors was the key plank that most people were aware of, so it's natural for people to be concerned when that hasn't been actioned when it was supposed to happen in May. It's also natural for people to be concerned that the licencing agreement is due to expire and the governance and ownership issues haven't been squared away.

Also, I've seen nothing to indicate that Wests Ashfield can't just take the same approach as they did with Justin and Lee and simply sack the CEO and board again whenever they feel like it.

RedVee

First Grade
As I understand it, both Wests and Balmain needed to chip in to run the joint venture Wests Tigers Pty Ltd. After Benny screwed Balmain over, Balmain had no income or ability to meet their obligations for the running of the JV.

The NRL then loaned Balmain the money to pay for their debts to Wests Tigers Pty Ltd. If they didn't pay the loan back, the NRL would have put up the shares in Wests Tigers Pty Ltd for sale and someone else would have owned 50% of Wests Tigers Pty Ltd. Instead, Wests Ashfield paid the debt instead and took ownership of the shares, increasing their holdings to 75%.

Balmain now have a token 10% interest, but with no assets or income of their own, they don't really have any ability to do much. This is not a Wests vs Balmain thing either. Magpies FC are in the same position, they are totally controlled by Wests Ashfield as well. Their Wests Tigers board position is a token gesture as well.

Ultimately things are better under Richo. It makes sense that they can't take action on the independent directors until the new shareholder agreement has been finalised and ratified. Richo's also said that 90% of the recommendations of the Crawford-Barnier report have been implemented, but without seeing the report who knows whether that's correct or not.

All we have to go on is what's been reported and the appointment of independent directors was the key plank that most people were aware of, so it's natural for people to be concerned when that hasn't been actioned when it was supposed to happen in May. It's also natural for people to be concerned that the licencing agreement is due to expire and the governance and ownership issues haven't been squared away.

Also, I've seen nothing to indicate that Wests Ashfield can't just take the same approach as they did with Justin and Lee and simply sack the CEO and board again whenever they feel like it.
I’ll add that Wests Campbelltown & Ashfield had a falling out some years ago. Hence only Ashfield running the show.
Not sure whether they have kissed and made up yet.

Nutz

Bench
I’ll add that Wests Campbelltown & Ashfield had a falling out some years ago. Hence only Ashfield running the show.
Not sure whether they have kissed and made up yet.
That's why I said earlier that a bit of transparency would have stopped people from getting edgy.
What was said in the video could have been said a lot earlier. Elevate Talent, the external recruitment firm tasked with filling the positions of a new board, has been asked to suspend the process. Was it for legal reasons? Why! Explain things.
We are not dumb arses. Let us know what is happening to the Wests Tigers.
We appreciate that a lot of things are too sensitive for our ears but some some simple statements are not. Keep us updated on the recommendations of the review and don't wait for it to boil over.
Also stop buttering us up about the new development of the old Balmain Leagues Club at Rozelle.
It means stuff all to me, its just a money making exercise for the HBG "Umbrella Brand" built by the Chinese with a new Wests Ashfield Leagues Club venue.

Last edited:

Latest posts