What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd26: EELS v Panthers GAME DAY THREAD @ BlueBet Stadium 24/8/23

Bandwagon

Staff member
Old man said Penrith are shot ducks. Brisbane will win it. Unsure id write them off yet but.

I am warming to a shock winner. May sound silly but the Chooks and Knights are finding form and the top 4 isn't that strong this season.

Their edge defense was disjointed, and Crighton aint Edwards.

They are far from done, I think folks don't appreciate how valuable those combinations are in holding your line, losing Luai hurts, but he's far more replaceable than Cleary.

T-Boon

Coach
The way I see effort is how we defend and scramble. We def played with effort last night
Exactly.
Instead of BA saying "I can't fault their effort" in a game they defend like crap in he should be more honest and say WTTEO "our defensive effort has been better several times this year (which it has been) so we were not really putting in 100% tonight".
He is disingenuous.

JokerEel

Coach
I actually thought balance of the players starting and bench was v good. Hopgood and Jnr off the bench gave impact.

I still think we dont need moretti and rather hands there

Next year with lane back as starting matto will come onto the bench

This assuming that emu and carty stays

Assuming all are fit we have a decent pack..

Reg
Lussick
Greig (resign him merkins)
Lane
Carty
Joffa

Hopgood
Paulo
Matto
Hands

lingard

Coach
No it wouldn’t. Why don’t people understand that if a decision had gone a different way, everything changes after that that point.
Like, if you hadn't posted this ....... and I hadn't read it ........
and then replied to it ........ Amazing, hey?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Exactly.
Instead of BA saying "I can't fault their effort" in a game they defend like crap in he should be more honest and say WTTEO "our defensive effort has been better several times this year (which it has been) so we were not really putting in 100% tonight".
He is disingenuous.
When it looks like we aren't putting in defensive effort it's actually that we are gassed from a run of possession against us. The problem then was lack of composure and attention to detail that led to the lack of possession.

Soto

Bench
When it looks like we aren't putting in defensive effort it's actually that we are gassed from a run of possession against us. The problem then was lack of composure and attention to detail that led to the lack of possession.
If we fkn run over the top of teams and score tries we have to defend less FFS. Last night was a perfect example. Not rocket science.
Scoring also gives the team confidence to defend. We were up last night and although the scoreline was bridged towards the end we actually fkn smashed em. Ok they had a few out but we were very good last night.
The key is to replicate that every week. The pack chosen and having Barlow and hopgood come off the bench was actually a great move. For mine Wiremu should start. I reckon Barlow played his best game for the season last night. He ran straight and hard. How he should always do it. Save the ball playing. Use it leas often. I want to see him trampling hookers, halves etc. Plus he's huge enough to barell other fwds too.
I was very pleased with the way we handled Leniu. Actually lussick did a great job on him a number of times.
Credit where credits due I thought Joffa, Lussick, Sivo, Russell, Asi and Simonsson all played really well.
Yes Asi got run through by Martin but apart from that he did really well. An off season and hopefully fitter and a few less kilos i persevere with him. Obviously not as a starter in the 17 but could be handy as a 14 or if we need replacements in the halves or at fullback where Moses or Dylbro can play.
I'd also like to see more of Arthur Miller Stephens. I reckon he has something.
Shame we're done but hopefully the motivation will be there for next yr after bombing out so badly this yr. Sorry long post..

lucablight

First Grade
If we fkn run over the top of teams and score tries we have to defend less FFS. Last night was a perfect example. Not rocket science.
Scoring also gives the team confidence to defend. We were up last night and although the scoreline was bridged towards the end we actually fkn smashed em. Ok they had a few out but we were very good last night.
The key is to replicate that every week. The pack chosen and having Barlow and hopgood come off the bench was actually a great move. For mine Wiremu should start. I reckon Barlow played his best game for the season last night. He ran straight and hard. How he should always do it. Save the ball playing. Use it leas often. I want to see him trampling hookers, halves etc. Plus he's huge enough to barell other fwds too.
I was very pleased with the way we handled Leniu. Actually lussick did a great job on him a number of times.
Credit where credits due I thought Joffa, Lussick, Sivo, Russell, Asi and Simonsson all played really well.
Yes Asi got run through by Martin but apart from that he did really well. An off season and hopefully fitter and a few less kilos i persevere with him. Obviously not as a starter in the 17 but could be handy as a 14 or if we need replacements in the halves or at fullback where Moses or Dylbro can play.
Shame we're done but hopefully the motivation will be there for next yr after bombing out so badly this yr. Sorry long post..
Interestingly enough we made less metres and had less possession yet still won easily.

Wally21

Bench
In some cases. In a significant amount of other cases, players are making poor decisions in defence or not putting in the effort. The most pleasing thing (and most frustrating) about Thursday night was it was the first game in many weeks that the overwhelming majority of players put in the extra 1-2% in defence. Tiredness and lack of effort are two different things.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We were excellent and should have played like that more often. However, it was clear that the Panthers weren't at their best and I think other teams would have beaten them in that game. They nearly got beaten by the Dragons recently as well. I can't see them winning the comp this year.

yy_cheng

Coach
Stats from tct

Possession: Panthers 54%, Eels 46%
Completions: Panthers 36/43 (83%), Eels 29/37 (78%)
Run metres: Panthers 1,938, Eels 1,679
Post contact metres: Panthers 530, Eels 458
Line breaks: Eels 7, Panthers 5
Tackle breaks: Panthers 48, Eels 39
Offloads: Eels 13, Panthers 12
Effective tackle %: Eels 84.8%, Panthers 84.2%
Errors: Eels 9, Panthers 9

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Exactly.
He is disingenuous.
You should be his media advisor.

Chipmunk

Coach
Stats from tct

Possession: Panthers 54%, Eels 46%
Completions: Panthers 36/43 (83%), Eels 29/37 (78%)
Run metres: Panthers 1,938, Eels 1,679
Post contact metres: Panthers 530, Eels 458
Line breaks: Eels 7, Panthers 5
Tackle breaks: Panthers 48, Eels 39
Offloads: Eels 13, Panthers 12
Effective tackle %: Eels 84.8%, Panthers 84.2%
Errors: Eels 9, Panthers 9

You probably need to also look at the stats from the first half, we're we had the game realistically won by half time.

Latest posts