What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RD8 V Cowboys 1300 Smiles Stadium

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't really mind losing to better teams but last night we gave up and that is frustrating!! Last week we should have won and it was completely our own fault (regardless of some of the dodgy calls) which is equally as frustrating. I could have been ok with last week had i not known we would play exactly how we did last night, it was a typical performance from our team!

The Roosters game is the perfect example of if we had lost, i could have walked away happy considering how well we played and never gave up.

I am under no illusions that we will make the 8, anything thing over 8 wins i will be happy with.

Maybe the players gave up because they felt the refs were giving the Cowboys everything?

It's not an excuse, but it does help to explain - I know when I played sport, whenever the refs gave the opposition an obvious leg up, we felt mentally deflated and it was on the back of our minds that we couldn't possibly win.

Then the coach would rip us a new one because it was t good enough, but he could understand why.

Kornstar

Coach
Maybe the players gave up because they felt the refs were giving the Cowboys everything?

It's not an excuse, but it does help to explain - I know when I played sport, whenever the refs gave the opposition an obvious leg up, we felt mentally deflated and it was on the back of our minds that we couldn't possibly win.

Then the coach would rip us a new one because it was t good enough, but he could understand why.

Maybe, doesn't make me feel any better though :lol:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The size and aggression of our pack really concerns me. Watching Ashton Simms going out there and belting our blokes...so jealous.

I love Manu Ma'u, but might he be too small? He tried his arse off, but was easily dominated.

Ma'u carved up taking second and third pass runs, which is where he's supposed to be receiving the ball. It was only in the hit-ups he was dominated.

beave

Coach
The size and aggression of our pack really concerns me. Watching Ashton Simms going out there and belting our blokes...so jealous.

I love Manu Ma'u, but might he be too small? He tried his arse off, but was easily dominated.

Junior Paulo should walk back into this team, as should Kelepi - Kelepi might be short, but he's huge, and he plays with power.

I think Fui is done, and while I agree that Mannah is not a captain, it's unfair that he cops so much criticism - he's our only prop worth a pinch of shit most weeks.

Like I said last night - the refs didn't cost us the game, but:

* Cowboys charge down a kick which Jarryd knocks on - the Cows get the scrum?
* Norman makes a one-on-one strip - penalty Cows?
* Fui gets hit high and stays down - nothing?
* Simms puts in a shoulder charge to Ma'u (a beautiful hit, btw, but against the current rules) - nothing?
* not allowing us to take a quick 20 metre tap, but letting the Cows go every time?
* we put up a bomb which is spilled by the Cows - Cows get the turn over?

We were out-muscled, out-enthused and squarely beaten. But the refs should be sacked IMO. It was blatantly one-sided.

What we should do now is have a soon to the NRL so we get the leg up next week.

The NRL is becoming a joke tbh.

In bold, you don't think Hayne knocked on??

Kornstar

Coach

To be honest, 50/50. Sometimes you get em, sometimes you don't, it just feels like we never get em......

Just like being within the 10 from a kick, I know for a fact that we have been f**ked on technicalities (not this year though) in the past, funnily enough I've never seen anyone f**ked on that same technicality against us. Probably just coincidence, still frustrating though.

However, we were just shit and deserved to get hammered, if you can't turn up then you take what's coming!

beave

Coach
We have been f**ked on the inside the 10 on a kick quite some time ago and the rule infuriates me. Being a cowboys fan aside, i think last nights ruling on that incident was the correct call, I guess we can't help that you guys got screwed on it earlier in the year but at least they finally called it right (well IMO). I have to watch the game again as I was extremely hung over from a 16 hour anzac bender in Melbourne, I thought the Sandow one was a hard one, the video ref having it slowed down like that really makes it look worse than in real time, either way one set of fans would have blown up deluxe at either call, Sandow made it look so much f**king harder than what it needed to be. I would be dirtier at him for making a bit of a meal of it than the officiating.

You guys should be proud of the turn around your club seems to have taken, it was always going to be a challenge to back up from the monday game. Hayne getting busted early didn't help either, also some bone headed plays didn't help either. The eels are def a much better team than in the past, a few key players playing a bit better and you guys are a force in the comp big time.

beave

Coach
He definately knocked it on on the 3rd attempt of trying to pick it up. And I am Hayne's biggest fan.

Yeah I thought he def knocked on with that last attempt to grab the ball. That whole passage of play was terrible from parra.

Eelementary

Post Whore

I do think he knocked on, but the Cowboy player charged down the kick, effectively having played the ball. I would have thought it would have been a scrum for a double knock-on, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Cowboys - they were on fire.

But I do think we copped come rough calls (they wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game, but it is irritating that the men in the middle have one job and they can't even do that right).

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ma'u carved up taking second and third pass runs, which is where he's supposed to be receiving the ball. It was only in the hit-ups he was dominated.

Are you sure, mate?

I could have sworn I saw him take a few wide runs and get hammered.

In either case, I'm still a big fan of his, and if we can get a pack that is dangerous all over the park, I'm sure we will see his best football.

spiderdan

Bench
I do think he knocked on, but the Cowboy player charged down the kick, effectively having played the ball. I would have thought it would have been a scrum for a double knock-on, but maybe I'm wrong.
you are wrong. A charge down (as long as the ball isn't on its way down) restarts the tackle count, it doesn't get ruled as a knock on. Had the ball hit the ground before the cow plays at it then it would have been a double knock on, scrum win parra feed.

spiderdan

Bench
To be honest, 50/50. Sometimes you get em, sometimes you don't, it just feels like we never get em......

Just like being within the 10 from a kick, I know for a fact that we have been f**ked on technicalities (not this year though) in the past, funnily enough I've never seen anyone f**ked on that same technicality against us. Probably just coincidence, still frustrating though.

However, we were just shit and deserved to get hammered, if you can't turn up then you take what's coming!
technically the cows player was inside the 10 on the first try and when he took a few steps forward probably should have been penalized but to be honest I was more disappointed in our player (16 gower?) who stood there and just video bombed the footage of the try.

Eelementary

Post Whore
you are wrong. A charge down (as long as the ball isn't on its way down) restarts the tackle count, it doesn't get ruled as a knock on. Had the ball hit the ground before the cow plays at it then it would have been a double knock on, scrum win parra feed.

I'll take your word for it.

Then they made the right call.

The ruling is bizarre, though. If a bloke plays at the ball and it hits the ground moving forward, it should be a knock-on - certainly, when I was playing, the refs would call a charge-down as a knock-on, because the player is effectively playing at the ball. It was only not ruled a knock-on of the player who charged the kick down regathered the ball.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I had a few similar situations as what happened on Saturday when I played - halfback kicks, it's charged down, fullback regathers and knocks it on, and the ref calls a scrum.

I guess it makes sense, but if the laws say a charge down is not a "knock on", then so be it - ref got it right.

In any case, it wouldn't have won us the game. I was using it as an example.

The call I really can't explain is the penalty on Norman for the one-on-one strip. THAT was a head-scratcher.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Are you sure, mate?

I could have sworn I saw him take a few wide runs and get hammered.

In either case, I'm still a big fan of his, and if we can get a pack that is dangerous all over the park, I'm sure we will see his best football.

Every player makes some ineffective runs, and getting hammered, while spectacular, is no less effective than any other ineffective run. The important thing is how often he made half breaks and got his arms free, as well as his total metres (and metres per carry).

Manu Ma'u is no Jason Taumalolo in attack, but he's a better defender.

T.S Quint

Coach

The ruling is bizarre, though. If a bloke plays at the ball and it hits the ground moving forward, it should be a knock-on - certainly, when I was playing, the refs would call a charge-down as a knock-on, because the player is effectively playing at the ball. It was only not ruled a knock-on of the player who charged the kick down regathered the ball.

Sounds like the ref was trying to screw your team over.

Was it Checcin?

beave

Coach

Nah it's not a knock on mate, like the poster said, as long as the ball is travelling upwards from a kick, it's allowed to be charged down with no knock on called against the team who played at it, but it's still 6 to go obviously as the balls has been played at. Allows teams to stop field goals and still try to get possession. I was actually pretty annoyed we kept going for the charge down, I reckon 9/10 the team who kicks it generally gets possession back so it's a pointless exercise in general play.

Noise

Coach
I had a few similar situations as what happened on Saturday when I played - halfback kicks, it's charged down, fullback regathers and knocks it on, and the ref calls a scrum.

I guess it makes sense, but if the laws say a charge down is not a "knock on", then so be it - ref got it right.

In any case, it wouldn't have won us the game. I was using it as an example.

The call I really can't explain is the penalty on Norman for the one-on-one strip. THAT was a head-scratcher.

A charge down is never considered a knock on.

As for the Norman incident, I am guessing the referee called held before he stripped it, which is a penalty (an unlucky one though because it's a split second thing) even though it was a 1 on 1 strip.

oldmancraigy

Coach
We have been f**ked on the inside the 10 on a kick quite some time ago and the rule infuriates me. Being a cowboys fan aside, i think last nights ruling on that incident was the correct call, I guess we can't help that you guys got screwed on it earlier in the year but at least they finally called it right (well IMO). I have to watch the game again as I was extremely hung over from a 16 hour anzac bender in Melbourne, I thought the Sandow one was a hard one, the video ref having it slowed down like that really makes it look worse than in real time, either way one set of fans would have blown up deluxe at either call, Sandow made it look so much f**king harder than what it needed to be. I would be dirtier at him for making a bit of a meal of it than the officiating.

You guys should be proud of the turn around your club seems to have taken, it was always going to be a challenge to back up from the monday game. Hayne getting busted early didn't help either, also some bone headed plays didn't help either. The eels are def a much better team than in the past, a few key players playing a bit better and you guys are a force in the comp big time.

I think they made the right call on both Taumalolo advancing inside the 10, and Sandow dropping the ball.

Taumalolo starts going forward, then stops - he was no doubt inside the 10, but he didn't affect any defender at all - nobody even looked at him.

Sandow drops the ball.

I think the reason many of us are upset over the calls is because Patten came out and said he had to keep the home crowd happy from the 3rd referees box. And he said it before the game.
Means that the most minute thing causes a blow up - "OH WHAT?? PATTEN YOU CHEAT"

But (sadly) I think they got both right.