What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re Signings 2009

The Seedman

Juniors
Hi all,who out of this players coming off contract would u like to see the club resign.Do u guys know off anymore of our players that are off contract?
Luke MacDougall(let go asap)
Richie Fa'aoso(keep)
Kevin Naiqama(keep)
Aku Uate(keep)
George Ndaira(let go)
Cam Ciraldo(keep)
Keith Lulia(let go)
Cooper Vuna(keep)

roopy

Referee
I want to see Kevin Naiquama go well, but he needs to improve a lot to get another contract.

keeney

First Grade
I'd love to keep Coops, but I don't know why we would need him. I'm not prematurely shooting my load, but Aku's improvement should see him be a viable FG option from now on, with Naiqama (Wes) there if he isn't. At which stage Mata'utai would be ready as well.

keeney

First Grade
I think you might be right, perhaps they just upgraded him though? He came mid 07 on a 2 and a half year deal, so perhaps it just got increased money wise. Or, more likely the telegraph is wrong. People have been bitching about the info on their chart in the NRL forum.

Spike

First Grade
I can only see a place for two out of Wes Naiqama, Uate and Vuna with McManus holding down the other wing and with Mata'utia waiting in the wings. Although I'm still skeptical of Uate at this stage, I would say that he has overtaken Vuna in the pecking order. Out of the players named from the OP, I would only keep Faas and Uate and cut the rest.

I'm certain Hilder is off contract as well. I said at the beginning of the year, I would release him to find a younger player to who could do the same job for less, but I was wrong. He needs to be re-signed and paid per tackle he makes.

keeney

First Grade
I see a few options.

Suffice it to say Mcmanus and Sau will be there for as long as we retain them. Doogs, signed until the end of next year may keep his spot next year. If he keeps playing well I don't mind, but almost want it just to be a deal cut so he got enough money for this year, and he relinquishes his spot next year. I think he still cuts it admirably, perhaps still being our best centre next year, I just hate how many selection headaches we have.

Wes and Coops are both good players who lifted a notch during the WC. Cooper particularly has a lot more improvement in him. As much as I like em both, I can't see em in our top flight backline, with or without Doogs. That is provided Mata'utai is ready for next year.

I see either

2. Vuna
3. Mac
4. Sau
5. Uate

or

2. Mac
3. Mata'utai
4. Sau
5. Uate

Pika

Bench
Question (taylor made for roop), we have a NYC side you would hardly feed.

Last year we retained one u20 player off contract.

If we keep three from this batch (not including the likes of Alomai and Cooke who have another year in them), who would it be?

Pete is a given.

roopy

Referee
Question (taylor made for roop), we have a NYC side you would hardly feed.

Last year we retained one u20 player off contract.

If we keep three from this batch (not including the likes of Alomai and Cooke who have another year in them), who would it be?

Pete is a given.
A heap of them have another year of NYC - Tetavano, Cordner, Malborough, English, Hunt, Ailoami, Cook, Mata'utai.

If you do the math, over the years we keep maybe an avarage of 3 a year, and of them maybe only 1 becomes a firstgrader.

Guys with a chance IMO would be Garbutt, Simon Williams, Morseau, Papamau if he gets back on the field soon, Wyborn and Fruen if he grows a bit.

Having said that, someone like Kev Naiquama can have a growth spurt of find some skills and suddenly be the best junior ever. Kurt Gidley was nothing till he was 19 and suddenly he had a year where he went from bench warmer in Flegg to making his firstgrade debut in a season and scored 23 tries along the way. Any junior can come good in a matter of a few weeks - it happens at least once a season that a kid astounds everyone with how fast he improves.

aqua_duck

Coach
out of the guys who aren't eligible for nyc next year i'd keep garbutt for sure, 192cm, 110kg with a mean offload. Perfect build for a young prop

Adsy

Juniors
Every one written off Stig due to his poor form this year?

I agree about keeping Garbutt before any other uneliginle under 20s player for next year.

jb2

Juniors
What is the go with Steve Simpson, how long is he on contract for ?
Love the old guy but he is getting on and it is great to see we have some replacements coming up for later on

Any thoughts on Marvin Marowana and whether he will get re-signed ?

Latest posts