What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Realistically where are we at?

macavity

Referee
where are we at? we are at the crossroads guys. its either we re-invent or we wither and die. it is THAT desperate.

this year is as low as we will ever go; because if we go any lower we will be underground...... i.e. dead.

knights_maniac said:
hehe Reynoldson...what a DUD buy...

Agreed. He played one or two strong games but dont have any idea what we paid for him BUT if it was more than $120K it was too much. He only gets wraps for his Ned Kelly looks...... whereas oher workhorses never get noticed. (not that we have many work horses in our team except Quigley and maybe Simpson and Buderus. But Quigley misses almost as many tackles as he makes.

We've got nothing!

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Mac I hav to agree with everything u say. I think privatisation is the only way to go. If management care about the club as much as they say they do, they will put the egos to one side and let the club become privatised. Its the only way out as far as I see it.

theicemandanno

Juniors
From an outsider looking in, Mullen reminds me alot of Adam Dykes. If looked after you could make him into a decent five eighth.

And I also agree that it is time for the Knights to open the chequebook and make some hard decisions vis-a-vis cutting players.

Alas, I see alot of parallels with this Knights side and The Eels side of the early nineties. Like you guys are saying now, we (The Eels) were resigned to the fact of hoping that our juniors would improve our side, knowing that outside recruitment was not an option. I fear that the Knights are similar to the Eels of old in that they will find it hard to attract players (face it, is a guy like Mason going to join you guys on big money if he cant be assured the club will have the cash to honour the contract?) Furthermore, the addition of a side like the Gold COast offers a cashed up, highly attractive alternative to the Knights. Is Newcastle in the same boat as Parra of the early nineties were post the loss of their inspirational halfback?

This year must be written off as a loss. You need to rebuild, and I would start by giving Hagan the flick. A new coach with new ideas would be a big plus for the team.....are there any coaches available?

For this week against the Eels, you guys have a few options. I would strongly consider moving Thaiday to fullback...he could be utilised in a manner like Matt Bowen, would be handy. In Johns you have the best kicker of a football in the game. Parra's weakness is under the highball, in particular Luke Burt. Your game plan will revolve around bombs to Burt's wing....it is the only weakness your team will be able to exploit. Why have you guys gone cold on Kidley.....I really rate this guy and would have loved to see him in the Eels #6 at the start of the year. Matt Gidley is ordinary, but the best youve got. Carmont is a winger, at best. You have a matchwinning fullback begging to play for you guys yet you tell him to bugger off after a decade of loyalty? WHAT THE?????

I have no idea on injuries or anything, but here is the Newie side I would hate to play against this week...

1. Thaiday
2. Carmont (Dont rate this guy, if there is a better junior than put him here)
3. Gidley
4. Tighe (Like this guy)
5. Quinn (Put him against Burt and bomb the hell outta him)
6. Mullen
7. Johns
8. Smith
9. Kurt Gidley
10. Woolnough
11. Newton
12. Tanner
13. Reynoldson

Bench:
14. A small quick player.
15. Snowden
16. Tolar
17. White

Good Luck this weekend.... I remember when Parra played another side who lost their first 8 games (Manly) and subsequently sacked Bozo as their coach. What happened? WE LOST.

Chin up, I cant see a Parra flogging.....GET TO THE GAME.

Alex28

Coach
Kurt is injured - out for another few weeks I believe. The issue I have with Kurt is that while he is good for defence, he is not really a playmaker - the same problem as his brother (although this year his defence has been awful). The other issue is that we have a brilliant half in the making in Mullen and the more he can play next to Johns, the better it will be for the club long-term.

I think Thaiday would be great at fullback - he roams around looking for the ball now and would benefit with the extra room to make breaks. He is a decent defender no matter what others think on this forum - he went OK yesterday, and previously he was trying to cover for Carmont as well. He would be worth putting back there.

TooheysNew

Coach
Some of your points reek of a lack of knowledge, however you are an outsider so thats ok. The points on Robbie O however are incorrect. He's broken down, and theres no need for him at all. (Ref. the other thousand threads on this.)