What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebecca Wilson at it again

Starkers

Bench
Yeah spot on. "I MADE what I believed to be a legitimate phone call to rugby league commissioner Catherine Harris last week about the sacking of marketing manager Paul Kind and other matters league."

Bec - you have no calls left. All bridges are burnt.

insert.pause

First Grade
So the NRL is lying about Kinds sacking and their statement is defamatory, but Kind is happy to wear it and stay quiet and only Wilson knows the truth but just won't tell us, but the NRL's silence and secrecy is a disgrace? Welcome to the contradictory world of Rebecca Wilson!

don't believe a word she writes!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Harris hung up and is yet to call me back.

well done Catherine :clap:

next time she rings ask her to tell you why Malcolm Noad suspended her from the 2000 Olympics for disciplinary reasons http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=1430146&postcount=1

This is a key secondary issue to this whole problem, Rebecca has a personal issue with me and with the Bulldogs Club. The issue with me extends back to the Sydney Olympics when she used to work for me at News Limited. She was suspended by News Limited for the period of the Games at the request of Lachlan Murdoch for several indiscretions. She felt I should have stood up for her.

Card Shark

Immortal
"We want the game to be great and head office to deliver on its promise of grand improvements."

I'd suggest a grand improvement is not telling the media, particularly News Ltd, everything so they can bad mouth the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why sydney people let her and Rothfield get away with it is beyond me, they would have been black balled and never work again in Perth or melbourne if they were writing these things about afl.

Canard

Immortal
like rothfield she is invited on a Victorian radio station each week for the strict purpose of bagging rugby league.

This is the thing that shit's me the most.

In QLD, and I assume NSW, the AFL local press are cheerleaders for there code.

Buzz and Bec death ride it non stop. To be fair they are such mental giants they probably don't realise when they are getting pushed by the Victorians

Rugby league media is the most negative of any sporting code in the world. Constantly talking down the code, obvious agendas in articles, and trying to do everything in the power to get the administration to listen to them while death-riding the very code they write and 'support'.

It's great that Dave Smith and co are not having a bar of Wilson/Rothfield nonsense and see through the obvious agendas against him.

gregstar

Referee
Rugby league media is the most negative of any sporting code in the world. Constantly talking down the code, obvious agendas in articles, and trying to do everything in the power to get the administration to listen to them while death-riding the very code they write and 'support'.

money.

the more calamity they report, the cheaper they expect the broadcast rites to be.

news ltd.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But you don't get it in afl cities about the afl, if it was just about driving value down it would be the same. They know they wouldn't be allowed to get away with and would be marched out of town if they criticised the code or teams like the sydney press do. It's great the nrl has finally grown some and putting them on notice. What they now need to do is blatantly show bias to the journos and papers who are positive about the game and give them exclusive access and stories.

I was disappointed they gave sloth the first exclusive interview with Richardson about his new job. That should have gone to a journo who is positive about the game.

But you don't get it in afl cities about the afl, if it was just about driving value down it would be the same. They know they wouldn't be allowed to get away with and would be marched out of town if they criticised the code or teams like the sydney press do. It's great the nrl has finally grown some and putting them on notice. What they now need to do is blatantly show bias to the journos and papers who are positive about the game and give them exclusive access and stories.

I was disappointed they gave sloth the first exclusive interview with Richardson about his new job. That should have gone to a journo who is positive about the game.
Well said :thumb

Starkers

Bench
She's been quiet of late. Great one today though. I don't think you could take Dave Smith more out of context if you tried. And of course another free advertisement for Harvey Norman.

Smith taking a position against ANZ is an outright lie - he is backing a Moore Park redevelopment. But hey, you can take a position against ANZ and offend the west, but you can't hold a press conference there because it's not the west?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/rebecca-wilson-dave-smiths-reluctance-to-leave-sydneys-eastern-suburbs-is-hurting-the-nrl/story-fnp0lyn3-1227271700417

Rebecca Wilson: Dave Smith’s reluctance to leave Sydney’s eastern suburbs is hurting the NRL

NRL boss Dave Smith lives in Vaucluse in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, where median house prices are up over $3 million.

He drives 5km down the road each morning to his eastern suburbs office, where the NRL has built headquarters that would do a bank or legal firm proud.

His executive team is not exactly your grassroots version either.

There is only one ‘westie’ among them and Shane Richardson left his heartland days behind him years ago.

Smith attended an ice hockey game on his New York holiday earlier this year and declared that Madison Square Garden was the model on which all rugby league venues in Sydney should be based.

Dave did not mention that tickets to that game can cost an average US$78 with the best seats in the Garden upwards of US$200 and that flogging 18,000 padded, leather seats to a relatively wealthy population of more than eight million is not that hard.

Smith talked up the amazing atmosphere at the game. His reflections smacked of a bloke so out of touch with his heartland (where small, rundown stadiums feature warm beer, long queues

and smelly toilets) that it was cringeworthy to hear.

Nevertheless, Smith has declared his view of rugby league is that small stadiums are the new black. No matter that there are not many league fans who can afford $200 a year on tickets, let alone a single match.

Smith has taken a position against ANZ Stadium’s redevelopment strategy in the heart of western Sydney ignoring the home of reigning premiers the Rabbitohs in favour of upgrading the smaller Allianz Stadium.

The West Tigers are in desperate need of a permanent home and Liverpool council are offering to help build a proper stadium in Campbelltown — again in rugby league heartland — but where’s the support from Dave?

Smith is the proud architect of the corporatisation of rugby league. He has surrounded himself with like-minded souls at head office, most of whom have backgrounds in the finance sector, cruise ship management or political lobbying.

Dave would not have noticed the earth moving on Friday when a genuine westie, Katie Page, appeared on the front page of The Daily Telegraph, declaring her intent to sponsor the first women’s AFL team in western Sydney. Make no mistake. This is a genuine kick in the guts for Smith and his deputies.

Page and Gerry Harvey have been pioneering and generous sponsors of rugby league for decades. If she was genuinely pleased with her league investment, there is no way her company logo would have turned up in the AFL.

Page’s allegiance shift has spread to soccer, too, where Harvey Norman now sponsors Friday night A-League. Page does not make these decisions lightly. The former NRL commissioner has smelt the wind and made a move away from a code which she now sees as removed from her customers.

For a woman who lives in the north west and works in the west, her switch should cause Smith serious angst.

So too the appearance in Sydney’s west of AFL boss Gill McLachlan. He has been there, publicly, twice in the last 10 days to oversee the creeping expansion of the game into the league heartlands of the city’s west. Sources close to GWS say he has made several private visits as well.

Smith would not have noticed the shiny GWS Giants’ new headquarters where the AFL has over 60 staff working in league’s epicentre to win the hearts and minds of women, children and ethnic groups.

Dave doesn’t head west often at all. In fact, it would be fair to say that Smith has not held a single media gathering there in recent times (and ANZ doesn’t count).

Too busy to speak to everyday league journalists, Smith spends most of his time spreading the message through media spruikers who choose to pump up their boss through corporate roundsmen.

In recent weeks, league’s main headline makers, the coaches, have been permanently gagged, no longer permitted to comment on refereeing mistakes.

This is because Smith and his suits have absolutely no concept of how many valuable column inches they stand to lose with this ridiculous form of censorship.

A tour of the so-called heartland is way overdue. So, too, crowd comfort at rubbish stadiums and a quick look at the diabolical state of junior league clubs running on the smell of an oily rag.

A seismic shift has occurred in recent months. Smith won’t have felt it in Moore Park but the earth is moving from under him.

BENNETT WRONG

FORGET the idiotic refereeing decision that cost Melbourne Storm a tight match against Manly. The real problem was further north where Johnathan Thurston, a tough nut by any standards, looked like he had gone 10 rounds with Muhammad Ali.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett said this week players such as Thurston should realise that taking players out late is part and parcel of a hard game. Sorry, coach, but that is abhorrent and obscenely wrong.

Under instructions from coaches willing to go to any lengths to gain an edge, forwards such as Beau Scott will continue to test the rules.

A STARC REMINDER

CAN someone stop crediting Shane Warne with the exceptional form shown by Mitchell Starc. Already a very, very good limited-overs bowler, Starc has come into sizzling form during the World Cup.

Warne made some very nasty, personal attacks on Starc during the Test series and has decided it was those unkind words that turned the paceman into a weapon in recent months.

That is nonsense. Starc was always going to make an impact with the white ball because of the way he bowls at this level in the shorter forms of the game. I will give credit where it’s due — to Starc and pace coach Craig McDermott.

YOU’RE ON THIN ICE

FINALLY, can someone please wake up the world of thoroughbred racing where we have horses returning positive samples to ice? Yes, you read it right. The very dangerous ice, or methamphetamine.

You can talk up your racing carnivals and the big money but until this serious doping issue is cleaned up, the entire industry will remain under a cloud.

typicalfan

Coach
If there was ever a company that has failed to move with the times it is Harvey Norman. I don't even know who shops there anymore.

CM67

Juniors
So Dave Smith is incapable of running a billion dollar industry because he lives in Vaucluse?
The Nrl staff are incapable of doing their job because their office is in the Eastern Suburbs?
What unadulterated tripe.

Brutus

Referee
More garbage from the convicted drink driver.

Who cares what car John Grant drives and where Dave Smith lives.

Mickyd39

Juniors
Why would Liverpool council want to build a stadium in Campbelltown? Different councils I believe.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Yoda

Juniors
Why would Liverpool council want to build a stadium in Campbelltown? Different councils I believe.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Looks like the council amalgamations are happening quicker than we first thought.

Latest posts