What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebecca Wilson at it again

insert.pause

First Grade
She's been quiet of late. Great one today though. I don't think you could take Dave Smith more out of context if you tried. And of course another free advertisement for Harvey Norman.

Smith taking a position against ANZ is an outright lie - he is backing a Moore Park redevelopment. But hey, you can take a position against ANZ and offend the west, but you can't hold a press conference there because it's not the west?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/rebecca-wilson-dave-smiths-reluctance-to-leave-sydneys-eastern-suburbs-is-hurting-the-nrl/story-fnp0lyn3-1227271700417
Embaressing hatchet job and shows how out of touch the ignorant loud mouth is with this class warfare nonsense.

But apparently GWS headquarters across the road is western sydney?

"genuine westie", Katie Page, is on the SCG Trust lobbying with the NRL for the redevelopment of Allianz!!

CM67

Juniors
She thinks she is sticking up for "westies" by belittling the Eastern Suburbs.
What she doesn't realise is that we who grew up in the west find any comment deriding someone because of where they live offensive.
She defies belief.

BuffaloRules

Coach
How could even the dimmest person believe AFL is growing in Western Sydney?

Keep flushing that $20 million a year down the toilet Gilligan...

El Diablo

Post Whore
AFL fan Bourbs at an Adelaide season launch

960155-9b8aa4d8-d1fe-11e4-b8cc-103b9fcc00b7.jpg

Canard

Immortal
Once again the real whinge comes to the fore:

Too busy to speak to everyday league journalists, Smith spends most of his time spreading the message through media spruikers who choose to pump up their boss through corporate roundsmen.

They won't leak information to me anymore!!!

I put shit on the 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and yet they won't speak to me!!

TheFrog

Coach
The real problem was further north where Johnathan Thurston, a tough nut by any standards, looked like he had gone 10 rounds with Muhammad Ali.

I hope she's talking about a "Thriller in Manila" version of Ali rather than the current one. The great man would have trouble with my 80-year old Mum carrying a handbag these days, let alone JT.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Bourbs is a homophobe http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...281826806?nk=bf25f40f9aedd2580dc645ff473ac474

David Pocock’s calling out of Jacques Potgieter for using a homophobic sledge set a dangerous precedent, writes Rebecca Wilson

Rebecca Wilson
The Daily Telegraph
March 27, 2015 10:00PM

WHEN Wallaby and Brumbies star David Pocock chained himself to a tree in a protest against coal mining in northern NSW, I was one of the first to support his admirable activism.

His previous stand in favour of gay marriage was equally solid, a sign that you could be a burly, heterosexual footballer and make a difference to gay rights.

Playing for the Brumbies last weekend, Pocock became a one-man protest against the Waratahs’ Jacques Potgieter, who called several members of the opposition “androtrops” during their Super Rugby match.

Pocock ensured the protest was vocal, twice reporting Potgieter to the referee.

The South African was fined $20,000 ($10,000 suspended) and the politically correct world in which we reside went crazy for their new pin-up boy, Pocock.

Since then, elements of the sporting media have claimed Pocock had done the most amazing, heroic thing in the history of sport by pointing out the sledges to the match official. They have, of course, overlooked several key issues which should make all of us sit up and take a second look at the actions of their new hero.

Artwork: Scott “Boo” Bailey.

Until last weekend, Pocock’s protests were off the field, away from the sport that has made him famous.

When the flanker heard the taunts last weekend, he was engaged in a bitter on-field battle with a clearly superior team, frustrated by the Brumbies’ lack of form against a gun opposition.

Potgieter, a quirky, aggressive character, engaged in some on-field sledging during the match that would make many eyes water. This is, according to his teammates, run-of-the-mill stuff for the South African.

He loves nothing more than attacking his opponents’ mothers, girlfriends and sisters in sledges that pour out of his mouth during every match in which he participates. This is how he lathers himself up for combat and it has become so commonplace during the
80-minute match that most opponents and teammates simply ignore it.

Pocock chose to ignore the anti-female barbs. He did not report Potgieter when he used words relating to female genitalia. He cannot say he did not hear them.

Everybody else did. He chose instead to focus on the use of the word ‘‘androtrop’’.

For those of us who have stood on any football sideline, particularly one in which schoolboys play, the use of the words “twinkie” and “androtrop” is so widespread that even the softest spectator learns to ignore it.

These are not directed at any particular player the opposition might believe is homosexual. They are aimed at anyone who: 1) is playing well or; 2) who looks easily rattled or; 3) who takes it up to their opponents.

Ditto the use of words relating to players’ mothers or girlfriends. This does not make it right, but it certainly should put Potgieter’s words in perspective.

The man is not a homophobe, as so many have decided this week. He is a sledger, pure and simple, a breed of sportsman who makes a habit of mouthing off at his opponents. If he had been standing on Oxford Street during the Mardi Gras parade, then he would deserve to be vilified.

Pocock’s decision to report Potgieter was not the admirable action the politically correct corners of the world have claimed this week. It was a dangerous precedent for a rugby player who should know that on-field sledging is part and parcel of every single sport in which males participate.

A straw poll of former and current football players this week underlines the deep-seated discontent they have with Pocock’s protests.

They believe that no footy field is any longer safe and that the once sacred view that “what is said on the field stays on the field” bid them all a sad farewell last weekend.

Many now question whether Pocock will be a welcome addition to the Wallabies, given he has placed all of his teammates on notice that everything they say on the field might be reported to
a referee.

One former Wallaby great said he has already been dubbed a “dobber”. If I complained to my bosses every time a colleague or reader was sexist, or used derogatory anti-female terms, I would be a very
tired woman. These are part and parcel of what I do, not altogether pleasant but easy enough to ignore.

Pocock has a head full of steam. His opponent has been put back in his box, labelled forever an anti-gay person who should offend our sensibilities. He has the politically correct lobby on side and has placed his bosses in an awkward position.

If Potgieter had chosen a head-high tackle instead of one ill-chosen word, nobody would have given it a second thought and the player would be $10,000 richer today.

Go figure.

Latest posts