What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebecca Wilson at it again

RoosTah

Juniors
Sorry one more, attack her writings but not the person.

I agree for the most part, but would say that Wilson's writings informed who she was as a person to as well.

Who she was to her family and friends isn't something we have direct experience with, much like we won't have direct experience with the bankers who ruined millions of lives in the US during the GFC. I'm sure a lot of them were great blokes if you were a mate or a family member, but their actions to those not in their immediate circle is what really informs us of their true character.

That's kinda how I feel about Wilson - I have no doubt she'll be a terrible loss to those close to her, but that shouldn't blind us to the damaging and often outright duplicitous nature of her work and that of publication.

People relishing in her passing as though they're footy team has just knocked off their biggest rival need to take a serious look at themselves, but by the same token I'm none too keen on the nonsense calling her a national treasure either. She was a purveyor of gutter journalism the likes of which the Murdoch press seems to take a sick pleasure, not some great Australian hero.

I still don't understand why dying of cancer makes her off limits. While it's a shithouse disease, of which close people to me have been affected by, it doesn't absolve people who did despicable things of their sins.

So it would have been OK if she kicked it from a heart attack or a car accident?

RoosTah

Juniors
I still don't understand why dying of cancer makes her off limits. While it's a shithouse disease, of which close people to me have been affected by, it doesn't absolve people who did despicable things of their sins.

So it would have been OK if she kicked it from a heart attack or a car accident?
I don't think anyone is saying she should be off limits - no one has rebuked me for my comments for instance - it's more that given she's just died it's pretty vulgar to be talking about her death with the sort of pejorative glee that most of us would use for when our footy team has just beaten a hated rival.

We can be critical of her work and what she stood for, but I think we ought to limit it to that and not engage in gleeful name calling now that she's dead.

I don't think anyone is saying she should be off limits - no one has rebuked me for my comments for instance - it's more that given she's just died it's pretty vulgar to be talking about her death with the sort of pejorative glee that most of us would use for when our footy team has just beaten a hated rival.

We can be critical of her work and what she stood for, but I think we ought to limit it to that and not engage in gleeful name calling now that she's dead.

I get that, I just don't see why "you're f**ked she battled cancer, it's a terrible disease," is an acceptable response to accurate criticism of her career. She was a glorified gossip journalist, much better suited to women's mags than sports journalism.

adamkungl

Immortal
The feeling you're seeing here is a direct response to the immediate attempts by her journo mates to paint her as
"Groundbreaking"
"fearless"
"brave"
and worst of all
"a journalist"

The feeling you're seeing here is a direct response to the immediate attempts by her journo mates to paint her as
"Groundbreaking"
"fearless"
"brave"
and worst of all
"a journalist"

Groundbreaking at fearlessly incorporating gossip mag journalist practices and bravely putting her name to it.

IIRC, when someone had a go at her writing over it clashing with "journalistic ethics" she said she was not a journalist but an opinion writer.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Looking at the name of the thread - it really should be closed. Being bumped is a bit eerie.

All has been said has it not?

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
What happened.

im-melting_zpsrgqg14gh.jpg

docbrown

Coach
Yet to hear one good reason why merely dying puts you above criticism.

So wait... you're saying that Magpie4Ever's 'I'm A Catholic So My Morals Are Superior To Yours' ramble didn't explain it to you?

If only there was some kind of a religious counter-argument. If only there was some kind of proof in the Bible that God condemns gossipers who profit from spreading lies about others. Like maybe a law or command of some kind...

If I had a guess maybe THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS?

I'm pretty sure that pisses off God. I bet you it would even make his top 10 list.

Yeah, Wilson's pretty damned...

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Geez, some of you dudes need to have a real good look at yourself.

She might have written shite, been bias to News Corp, AFL, whatever. She never physically attacked anyone, caused a bloody war etc.

She was a mother, daughter, sister and auntie who suffered a dreadful disease and you dim bastards are attacking her the way you claimed she attacked your favorite sport, club or player.

You should be ashamed.

PS: I have no love for the Murdoch press and what they did to league via super league.
she drove drunk more than once. Could've done a lot of harm. Dickhead.