What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebels reveal five-point survival plan

ON Sunday he was on top of the world, but yesterday, Eric Grothe was on back on top of a partly-built house.
Just a day after becoming a director of the Eels football club, Grothe returned to his job as a labourer, but is intent on rebuilding the mighty blue and gold empire.
Grothe and fellow director Brett Kenny yesterday outlined their five point plan to break Parramatta's 22-year premiership drought.

The pair, along with fellow legend Ray Price and property developer John Chidiac, took control of the Eels football club board in Sunday's elections. The first meeting of the new board is scheduled for January 19.
The proposals include placing the NRL team under the control of the football club, lowering ticket prices, increasing membership and bringing former players back to game days.
"We want to ask some questions about what's been happening," Kenny said last night.
"We think the football team should be run by the football club so we will be asking about that.
"I think we also need to give (marketing manager) Steve Edge some help.
"'Edgey' has done a great job and I know a lot of sponsors are there virtually because of Steve Edge. One sponsor told me if he left, the sponsor would go too.
"We want former players back at the club too. There are a lot of corporate boxes at Parramatta Stadium and it would be great if we could get guys like Mick Cronin back and visiting those boxes."
Kenny also said the retention of Parramatta juniors was a major part of the board's plans, having been frustrated at the recent departure of David Williams and Tony Williams among others.
"That is an area we have to look at," Kenny said.
"Maybe we have to get more spotters and better quality ones, guys that know what they are looking for.
"I know we can't keep them all but we have to keep the ones we want to keep.
The relationship between Kenny, Price and Parramatta CEO Denis Fitzgerald has been a talking point since Sunday's elections. Kenny vowed he would work harmoniously with the chief executive.
"People have asked me if we are going to get rid of him," Kenny said.
"But I don't think there will be a problem. We are all adults. I don't think personalities should come into it. We may not always agree but we have to work for what will benefit the club. We're not there to argue although I don't think all meetings will be smooth."
For his part, Fitzgerald said he could not guarantee the first board meeting would be harmonious.
"So many lies have been told in this campaign and people with little bits of information and rumours that were totally wrong," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24804535-5006066,00.html

bartman

Immortal
For his part, Fitzgerald said he could not guarantee the first board meeting would be harmonious.
"So many lies have been told in this campaign and people with little bits of information and rumours that were totally wrong," he said.
Aw, have a cry Denis.

You started the dirty pool in this election anyway, so you have to reap what you've sown.

Maybe if you and your lot cared more about communicating information to and involving fans/members, then you wouldn't be staring down the barrel of something you obviously have been fearing for many years.

Interesting to note all the printed quotes about difficulty and possible lack of harmony seem to be coming from Denis, and not from the newly elected guys... Grow up DF.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I just hope the guys don't lose focus on what football club is currently about as they move towards getting the bigger project up and running.

yy_cheng

Coach
does pirtek have a mortgage on the jersey rights?

If 3p manages to bring in a bigger sponsor, do the new sponsor automatically get the jersey rights? Or is it a contract thing

Gronk

Staff member
I thought that one of the five points in their plan would be to bring on board all those sponsors that they lined up ? When's the first announcement ?

spiderdan

Bench
The proposals include placing the NRL team under the control of the football club, lowering ticket prices, increasing membership and bringing former players back to game days.
can the board do that? i would've thought that ticketing options were more to do with the nrl and the stadium trust rather than the football club board. guess we'll find out.

whatever the case, i am glad that these guys are unravelling their plan. as someone who was and still is unsure if the club can benefit from some of them being on the board, i am happy that now they are bringing forward their ideas for improvement.

one thing i will say is that i don't blame anyone previously involved with our board for a 22 year drought and if we happen to win a comp while these guys are on the board i certainly wont be giving them credit. my interest in their dealings is purely to see if they can turn our club into a credible business venture similar to many afl clubs in melbourne. getting more bums on seats, increased sponsorship and improving membership are all a good start.

Last edited:

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
they may need to wait til after the Leagues Club election, Gronk - seeing as they don't control the NRL side at this stage

spiderdan

Bench

If 3p manages to bring in a bigger sponsor, do the new sponsor automatically get the jersey rights? Or is it a contract thing
pretty sure it's a contract thing based on the sponsorship packages offered by the club.

this might give you an idea how sponsorship packaging works, albeit from a smaller entity out parra way.

2 blues sponsorship proposal - pretty basic doc compared to the one i saw from the sea-eagles about 10ish years ago.

Last edited:

forward pass

Coach

They don't control the NRL side so they can't bring in sponsors for the NRL side.

What I would like to see, is for them to get one of their lined up sponsors to sponsor the Junior sides - Flegg, Harold Matthews etc. That money would go towards junior development and Pirtek money to the NRL side.

Last edited:

mickdo

Coach
What I would like to see, is for them to get one of their lined up sponsors to sponsor the Junior sides - Flegg, Harold Matthews etc. That money would go towards junior development and Pirtek money to the NRL side.

Agree. The only source of income for the FC is membership dues (which is sweet FA), so it's about time more revenue streams were piped directly to the FC, and sponsorship is the best way to start. There must be plenty of smaller sponsors willing to put their names to the junior sides.

Gronk

Staff member
Agree. The only source of income for the FC is membership dues (which is sweet FA), so it's about time more revenue streams were piped directly to the FC, and sponsorship is the best way to start. There must be plenty of smaller sponsors willing to put their names to the junior sides.

Dream on. Why would a sponsor throw money at a S G Ball jumper ? No real benefit really when the games are watched by only a few hundred people tops. What you are suggesting is not corporate sponsorship but a donation. Money down the drain IMHO.

Now if they brought back junior footy to the stadium and had 4 or 5 games before the NRL, then it might be worth looking into.

Noa

First Grade
Question for you Parra supporters.

Are there any concerns at all about a lack of real business acumen and fresh ideas on the board.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Well there's no concerns about a lack of fresh ideas - thats what 3P are all about!!

Gronk

Staff member

Are there any concerns at all about a lack of real business acumen and fresh ideas on the board.

With the Board consisting of all former players except two, I have massive concerns to be honest. Very unbalanced.

Last edited:

spiderdan

Bench

for sure lack business know-how is a problem. i have said for a while that one of the biggest problems with the nrl is too many old boys running things.

as for fresh ideas - well, they noobs are there now so they deserve the opportunity to prove themselves with what they have.

Noa

First Grade
Your choice of the next CEO, assuming Fitzgerald is on borrowed time, will be crucial.

Hopefully for you guys its is some-one relatively young, with a modern outlook on how sports organisations should be administered in the 21st century

for sure lack business know-how is a problem. i have said for a while that one of the biggest problems with the nrl is too many old boys running things.

as for fresh ideas - well, they noobs are there now so they deserve the opportunity to prove themselves with what they have.

By fresh ideas I guess i meant innnovative ideas, those based around modern marketing and aministrative ideaoligies.

Hopefully they do well as Guru and Bert hold special places in my child-hood memories and I would like to see them succeed.

Last edited: