What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reclaiming 'Rugby'

I've decided that enough is enough. I say we pressure all rugby league journalists and organising bodies into refering to the rival code by its full name rugby UNION, or simply as union. Furthermore all people within the game should refer to the game as Rugby League.

Ive emailed the footy show and the NRL thus far. You can do it via the ninemsn footyshow website.

The more we make noise about this, the more it will change. Silence means you accept this. If we make enough noise we might be able to get a journo to write up an article on this subject.

Come on guys, i know there are heaps of you on here that hate the use of the term 'rugby' when describing the other code. So lets take some action!

OH and woods, don't bother replying to this thread, im not going to acknowledge your dribble

Te Kaha

First Grade
International RL said:
I've decided that enough is enough. I say we pressure all rugby league journalists and organising bodies into refering to the rival code by its full name rugby UNION, or simply as union. Furthermore all people within the game should refer to the game as Rugby League.

Ive emailed the footy show and the NRL thus far. You can do it via the ninemsn footyshow website.

The more we make noise about this, the more it will change. Silence means you accept this. If we make enough noise we might be able to get a journo to write up an article on this subject.

Come on guys, i know there are heaps of you on here that hate the use of the term 'rugby' when describing the other code. So lets take some action!

OH and woods, don't bother replying to this thread, im not going to acknowledge your dribble

It has never been, and never will be called Rugby Union. Both games are called Rugby Football.

The only difference is that the organisations that run each respective code associate in either a Union or League.

"Union" has every right to call its self Rugby. "League" has every right to call it self Rugby. "Union" was Rugby football first. if "league" doesnt want to be confused by "Union" it is up to "League" to change its name.

How can you hijack something that has always been yours?

ali

Bench
But it wasn't always known as "rugby" in Sydney. It was Union when I was growing up.

I'm right behind you mate, and have emailed the NRL. The reply was the ARL are monitoring the situation.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Yeah I grew up with the name Rugby Union.

Never called Rugby while I was growing up in Goulburn.

Only the last 10 years since super league has Union been dropped.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Just because it is in common usage doesnt make it true... you guys keep saying that about world cup viewing figures... The game has NEVER been called Union officially so why should they start now?

ali

Bench
Te Kaha said:
Just because it is in common usage doesnt make it true... you guys keep saying that about world cup viewing figures... The game has NEVER been called Union officially so why should they start now?

Ah but, the story is they don't own the trademark "Rugby World Cup".

Te Kaha

First Grade
ali said:
Ah but, the story is they don't own the trademark "Rugby World Cup".

So? it is run by "Rugby World Cup Ltd"... Is the head organisation called the IRUB? no it is the Internationall Rugby Board...

Te Kaha

First Grade
International RL said:
it used to be IRUB

When???

From the commonly quoted Wikipedia site, all Rugby Football, no Rugby Union
The history of the International Rugby Board
  • 1884 England had a disagreement with Scotland over a try with England arguing that as they made the Law, if they said it was a try then it was. There was a messy dispute which pulled in the Irish and Welsh Unions on the side of Scotland.
  • 1886 International Rugby Football Board (IRFB) was founded by the Rugby Unions of Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
  • 1890 England joins the IRFB and agrees that in future the IRFB would oversee the games between the home unions.
  • 1930 It was agreed that all future matches were to be played under the laws of the IRFB.
  • 1949 Australia, New Zealand and South Africa became members of the IRFB.
  • 1978 France became a member of the IRFB.
  • 1986 Canada became a member of the IRFB.
  • 1987 Argentina, Fiji, Italy, Japan, Romania, Tonga, USA and Zimbabwe became members of the IRFB.
  • 1988 Cote d’Ivoire, Spain and Samoa became members of the IRFB.
  • 1989 Uruguay became a member of the IRFB.
  • 1990 Namibian became a member of the IRFB.
  • 1991 Georgia became a member of the IRFB.
  • 1997 The IRFB moved its headquarters from London to Dublin.
  • 1998 The International Rugby Football Board dropped the ‘F’ to become the IRB.

Get over it! :roll:

The "Rugby" thing has been done to death and its the entire worlds perception of what "Rugby" is vs a few people on a few site.

If any sport needs a name change its Rugby League. It would solve many problems.

Kingbunny

Juniors
http://www.irb.com/About/

The International Rugby Board (IRB) was founded in 1886. With its headquarters in Dublin, the IRB is the world governing and Law making body for the game of Rugby Union.

Note the wording, "the game of Rugby Union". Therefore, no such game simply called "Rugby" as per the IRB website.

The games are called Rugby League and Rugby Union. This is correct.

Paley

Juniors
The unionites know that continuall referring to their game as rugby - in the press and when registering with international bodies they can harm rugby league. Before union went openly pro the IRB et al referred to RL as "professional rugby" because they knew that they could harm it that way. Now to them "professional rugby" is union because they can't harm RL any more by referring to it as such so instead they are attempting to write the "professional rugby" they used to discriminate against out of the history books.

Don't for one moment think its just an accident, its a deliberate policy by a dishonourable sport which has profited greatly by various uses of the word "rugby" from having RL effectively banned in Italy in the 50s to ensuring the French RL couldn't claim reparations after WII to banning anybody who played "professional rugby" or trained with a team which played "professional rugby" or even played as an amateur for an amateur team affiliated with a governing body of "professional rugby"

If there was any honour in union they would hold their hands up, acknowledge their disgraceful actions over the years and start to refer to their sport as rugby union - but there seems to be very little honour in the game - with the ARU putting out press releases containing lies about the advent of "professional rugby" to the RFU putting put press releases containing lies about when rugby first played in leagues in england to the RFU boss recently claiming that union had never excluded anybody from playing.

They are dishonourable liars with a mostly tame press (only one newspaper raised the issue about the RFU lies about never excluding anybody) - so, try to reclaim the word "rugby" and prevent the liars in union attempting to seize it because if they do they will go all out to write RL out of history.

griff

Bench
nospam49™ said:
Get over it! :roll:

The "Rugby" thing has been done to death and its the entire worlds perception of what "Rugby" is vs a few people on a few site.

If any sport needs a name change its Rugby League. It would solve many problems.

The entire world's perception is that if they saw them they would call both codes just "Rugby". Go to Melbourne and show them a State of Origin game and they would say it was a game of rugby. If that's people a few kms away in Melbourne then it is also true for people in USA and other countries.

If you went to PNG and asked them what their favourite sport was, they would tell you rugby.

Paley

Juniors
Where I am from rugby means rugby league yet the local newspaper "the Yorkshire Post" sees fit to run a schools "rugby" comp entirely for union teams.

Fortunately few buy the Yorkshire Post instead they buy its sister paper the Evening Post where rugby is rugby league.

i have no problem with both codes being referred to as 'rugby' as they BOTH are codes of rugby. However i have a huge problem with one code trying to use it as a weapon against the other! Which is why i am fighting it as much as possible

joshreading

Staff member
I think a campaign to 'reclaim rugby' is a waste of time. I think that atleast in australia it is about high time that Rugby League change its name officially to 'League Football' I personally am sick of trying to convince other states people that Rugby League is better than union when it is all Rugby to them. It is time for diferentiation - ala Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola

screeny

Bench
joshreading said:
It is time for diferentiation - ala Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola

Sorry, but are you being ironic? According to your example we could rename our sport League Rugby!

As for individuals doing the convincing, I take your point, it's frustrating (but still a labour of love for leaguies) but if the ARL instructed everyone within our game to refer to RU as union and RL as rugby league or rugby that's different.

It requires leadership and coordination....over to you Geoff!