What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommend-a-Band Thread

Mighty Dragon

Juniors
The idea is, post your 3 or 4 favourite bands or singers and then hopefully someone will reply with a recommendation of a band you should listen to and might suit your tastes.

I'll start it off:

1. The Darkness
2. Green Day
3. Weezer

any recommendations?...

Dread

Juniors
For the Darkness, I'd suggest a healthy dose of Queen (start with A Night at the Opera). You might also want to check out some of the original hair metal acts - Motley Crue, Van Halen, etc. - but they don't quite have the piss-take attitude of the Darkness, and IMO have gotten a bit stale with time.

There are hundreds of contemporary punk acts floating around at the moment who could all probably suit your Green Day tastes, but I'll go back to the archives for some suggestions. If you like the American Idiot album, it might be worth checking out The Who's Tommy - probably the birth of the rock opera. Very similar in style, although obviously more on the rock side of things. The Clash's London Calling is also a must for any self respecting punk fan.

Weezer is probably best for someone else to deal with. I don't really pay attention to the whole indie geek-rock scene... even though I have all Weezer's albums. :p If you wanted to venture back in time a bit, possibly Elvis Costello might be worth looking into. Maybe not. I don't know.

----

As for myself, here's what I'm after.

Any help with suggestions for soul artists in the vein of Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. Modern or old school. Any suggestions?

Red Bear

Referee
You like green Day? Listen to early living end(first album and before). Sounds similar but alot better ;-)

Southernsaint

Staff member
Okay, I like the Strokes, Kings Of Leon & The Pictures; so I should get into The Cars, Creedence Clearwater Revival & You Am I respectively...

Balmain_Boy

Captain Dread said:
Any help with suggestions for soul artists in the vein of Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. Modern or old school. Any suggestions?

You might want to have a listen to "Sex & Poverty" by Nessa Morgan. She's got an awesome voice. The lyrics are a bit...uh. You'll have to hear it ;-)

Maybe try Al Green as well.

Balmain_Boy

Oh, and as for me - i'm always looking for modern folky rock music.

In the Vain of guys like Elliot Smith and Damien Rice...

frank

Juniors
Captain Dread said:

Old School-

Donny Hathaway - Just get a greatest hits type album.
Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes - Get something with Teddy Pendergrass on vocals.
Al Green - Any greatest hits album. Look at the tracks on the back cover, if there's any mention of god or jeebus, don't buy it.
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Anything. You can't go wrong with Smokey.
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly Soundtrack
If you've got the readies, treat yourself to Hitsville USA-The Motown Singles Collection. The best $100 you'll ever spend.

Modern-

Maxwell - One of his early albums. Urban Hang Suite is probably the best.
R. Kelly - Get the 1993 album, 12 Play. Do not buy the new greatest hits thing. It is crap.
Me'Shell NdegeOcello - Peace Beyond Passion. Incredibly smooth album. She's also an amazing bassist.
D'Angelo - Brown Sugar. He's a Marvin rip-off, but still good.
Prince - The Gold Experience. Awesome.

Godz Illa

Coach
frank said:
Captain Dread said:

Old School-

Donny Hathaway - Just get a greatest hits type album.
Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes - Get something with Teddy Pendergrass on vocals.
Al Green - Any greatest hits album. Look at the tracks on the back cover, if there's any mention of god or jeebus, don't buy it.
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Anything. You can't go wrong with Smokey.
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly Soundtrack
If you've got the readies, treat yourself to Hitsville USA-The Motown Singles Collection. The best $100 you'll ever spend.

Modern-

Maxwell - One of his early albums. Urban Hang Suite is probably the best.
R. Kelly - Get the 1993 album, 12 Play. Do not buy the new greatest hits thing. It is crap.
Me'Shell NdegeOcello - Peace Beyond Passion. Incredibly smooth album. She's also an amazing bassist.
D'Angelo - Brown Sugar. He's a Marvin rip-off, but still good.
Prince - The Gold Experience. Awesome.
Amen. Frank, you're a genius, and you're talking my language. However, I'd add Otis Redding - The Definitive Collection to old school, and The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill to modern. Otherwise, you've nailed it. I love you, man.