What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment and Retention

Kilkenny

Coach
Panthers management really need to look up the word ' marquee ' in the Oxford dictionary.

I don't consider Mark O'Halloran and now Adam Woolnough ' marquee ' signings.

The club's supporters have suffered in the last two - three seasons and I suspect the ultimate kick in the gut's will be delivered in the next couple of weeks when as it appears increasingly likely we will lose Clinton, Wallace and perhaps Aiton.

mightypanther

Juniors
Kilkenny said:
Panthers management really need to look up the word ' marquee ' in the Oxford dictionary.

I don't consider Mark O'Halloran and now Adam Woolnough ' marquee ' signings.

The club's supporters have suffered in the last two - three seasons and I suspect the ultimate kick in the gut's will be delivered in the next couple of weeks when as it appears increasingly likely we will lose Clinton, Wallace and perhaps Aiton.

We have suffered from the club's extremely poor recruitment and retention for far longer than that......more's the pity.

It's just that because they are actually getting so much worse with every passing year, that we tend to remember the most recent years with the most clarity.

They go on all the time about keeping their plans secret and not commenting on rumours as if they're the bloody KGB or something. And what good has their top secret attitude done for the team so far ??? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.:x

Panther_Daz

Staff member
If Clinton and Wallace go, i think we should make a huge offer for Justin Hodges. IMO he is the best outside back in the game at the moment, and is only going to get better.

Coastal Panther

Juniors
I have been disappointed with some Panthers Recruitment and Retention policies in the past, however, if we were to lose Wallace I would be absolutely baffled.

With our inactivity in the last two offseasons, I felt that it may be that we were looking to rebuild and make our big splash at the end of 2008, when some thoroughly ill-advised contracts come off our books. Blooding guys like Wallace, Moors etc and them having 50 or so first grade games under their belt when the rough $1m per season that we are paying Lewis, Rooney and Gower combined comes off our books would have made good sense.

If we have to pay overs for the rarest of NRL commodities - a legitimate ball-playing young half - we pay overs.

I struggle to quantify Clinton's value. I like him, and hope he stays but what is he worth?

mxlegend99

Referee
Clinton would be worth $300k IMO.

He is the best front rower off contract, the fact Broncos are after him proves it. Other then him, there are Ryles and White. Ryles is soft, and White just doesn't have the same Mongrel that Clinton does.

Coastal Panther

Juniors
Was he upgraded in 2004 as well?

Most of our issues are based on these massive 2004 contracts. Did Panthers mangement go on a massive bender on Grand final night and upgrade these guys with drunken text messages?

Do drunken text messages constitute binding contracts?

Kilkenny

Coach
Big Mick © said:
$250,000...max which would be about half what he is on now.

If your valuation was about $215K that would actually be half on what he is currently on!

Yes Shane Richardson probably had one Cab Sav too many when he put the offer on the table.

Very good player that he is the $400K plus salaries are normally reserved for the elite high end rep players, which Joel probably was for one off season after the 03 grand final. That aside he remains a very, very good front rower but not in the top half dozen in the game.

Kilkenny

Coach
The biggest issue that has always confronted the panthers, remains attracting high end players to the foot of the mountains. Just like the Raiders no one wants to be a ' westie ' just like the nations capital does not engender enthusian as a place to play and live.

While those of us who live out Penrith way know it is a pretty decent place to live and rear kids it simply doesn't cut it with those players on salaries of 400K plus who can afford to reside and afford the lifestyle offered in the Eastern Suburbs, Northern Beaches or the Shire.

Sad but true and nothings gonna change. At best, we can attract players such as Ben Ross, Amos Roberts, Preston Campbell who have ability and quality and are looking for opportunities to establish themselves or reinvent there careers.

I just hope Peter Wallace does not turn out to be another Des Hasler.

Who did make the ill fated decision to let Des Hasler leave the Panthers. Whoever it was is obviously still involved in our retention and recruitment?

panthersballboy

Juniors
Woolnough did look the goods when he first came into grade but hasn't done much since. Hopefully we can get the best out of him and he can be a solid, at worst, player for us.

The Penrith recruitment is mind baffeling. If we have 1.5M in the kitty why the hell aren't we spending it? On top of that we can't even retain the players we got. If Wallace and Clinton go you'd think next year we'll have 2M in the kitty.

With that type of cash we should be making plays on all the decent players, in certain positions, where we are particularly weak. Soward and Lewis both wanted a release from the roosters. We would have more cash than GC or Saints but we were not even mentioned as cotenders for their signatures. The only player we are constantly linked with is Craig Wing and this has been for 2 years now.

Manly and the Roosters are linked to every off contract player and they at least get some of them. It would be nice just to be linked to a player to give us fans some hope Penrith are actively trying to strengthen our team. But every year it is very quiet on the western front.

Kilkenny

Coach
Craig Wing will never be a Panther. It simply won't happen. It would be more likely he would return to the Bunnies as there number seven than come to us.

I would like to think we actually considered the likes of Josh Lewis or Jamie Soward as they are clearly two very talented youngsters capable of playing NRL at both 5/8 and half.

Both of the above I am sure could have been picked up for relatively small contracts as they were each desparate for an opportunity?

They will surely both kick goals with there respective new clubs.

choc_soldier

Coach
My fear is that like previous seasons, we will lose big-name players, and get very little in return.

And in return, the management will throw their hands up and try to shirk off any accountability.

Fair dinkum, it pisses me off!

Kilkenny

Coach
A good friend of mine made an interesting observation during the week and I quote in general terms;

The Panthers have lost half of their grand final winning side thru either retirements or allowing players to leave the club. Those who remain with the club have not performed at the same level as they did in 2003 and 2004. They are still trying and probably giving a 100% but have lost their hunger.

According to my good friend we need to move on from the likes of Wesser, Rooney, Lewis, Waterhouse, Big T, Priddis and Joel Clinton. Two and a half years of underachievement speak for themselves.

The good friend in question is a very astute person with a solid background in league and not some forum hack.

The only player not on my friends hit list is Gowie who he believes MUST revert to the hooking position to finish off his illustrious career.

Food for thought.

If nothing else it's hard to disagree with the two and a half years of underachievement and disappointments.

BxTom

Bench
http://www.panthers.com.au/Forum/Topic49881-18-44.aspx

Rob Weavers reply the allegation that Panthers did not offer Wallace a contract.

This morning I asked Mick Leary if he thought that was a fair and reasonable account of what had occurred. As I suspected, it was neither fair nor reasonable.
Alan Gainey, Peter's manager, made an appointment to see Mick, indicating he had another offer on the table.
At the meeting, he was asked what it would take for Wallace to stay. He named a figure that we were not prepared to match. Mick told him that. There was also discussion about what we were prepared to pay.

So, while it might be technically correct to say "THEY DIDN'T EVEN OFFER HIM A CONTRACT!!!!!!" it is also totally misleading. You don't go into a negotiation with a prepared contract in your hand, and even if you did, you wouldn't hand it to the manager and say: "Here it is, just in case you change your mind". I should also add that comments made by certain media commentators over the weekend obviously came from the same source that drobba's comment came from (though more directly). They certainly did not get the information from us, or check with us.

Looks like Panthers management are owed an apology by a few people...
Another poster on the site recently something along the lines of player managers being less trustworthy than used care salesmen. Well I won't make the judgement. I will leave that to all of you. Personally I will believe Rob et. al. on this matter.

Cheers,
Tom

Coastal Panther

Juniors
Technicalities aside, a strong effort to re-sign was not made.

Whether the nickel and dime "offer" was verbal or written is irrelevant.

Kilkenny said:
Who did make the ill fated decision to let Des Hasler leave the Panthers. Whoever it was is obviously still involved in our retention and recruitment?

That could be true, and I for one was baffled as to why Hasler was released to sign with Manly.

Then again, if Hasler stayed, Greg Alexander might never have been heard of.

BxTom

Bench
Coastal Panther - can you please let us all know how much Wallace signed on for at the Broncos and for how many years and as you obviously know that Panthers made a "nickel and dime" offer - how much was that for?? We await your enlightment on the subject.

As to why Hasler was let go. That WAS from past management, but could be for similar reasons that Brisbane let a fellow named Priddis go. It happens at all clubs, get over it.

Cheers
Tom.