What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment and Retention

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
A few seasons ago the bulldogs let go of some kid named thurston, who went onto ......well we all know what he's gone onto do with the Cowboys.

Fast forward to the present day and just insert the name Wallace instead of Thurston, swap the Bulldogs with Panthers, and swap the Cowboys with the Broncos and ..WELLA!...Groundhog day!!!
This could go down as one of Penriths WORST ever non resigning of a potential superstar.
Mick 'the dick' Leary and Glen 'dwarf throwing" Matthews.....YOU ARE BOTH THIS CLUBS WEAKEST LINK!..........Goodbye.

Coastal Panther

Juniors
I don't profess to be an insider.

Brisbane are not famous for paying ridiculous overs for players. Or poaching in general. Thus, my OPINION is that it is not likely that Penrith would have had to offer significantly over the market rate to retain Wallace.

*Sandy*

First Grade
That's a big call don'tmakemeangry.

Personally I didnt think Wallace was THAT good. I'll eat humble pie if that ever happens.

The Rhino

Juniors
BxTom said:
http://www.panthers.com.au/Forum/Topic49881-18-44.aspx

Rob Weavers reply the allegation that Panthers did not offer Wallace a contract.

This morning I asked Mick Leary if he thought that was a fair and reasonable account of what had occurred. As I suspected, it was neither fair nor reasonable.
Alan Gainey, Peter's manager, made an appointment to see Mick, indicating he had another offer on the table.
At the meeting, he was asked what it would take for Wallace to stay. He named a figure that we were not prepared to match. Mick told him that. There was also discussion about what we were prepared to pay.

So, while it might be technically correct to say "THEY DIDN'T EVEN OFFER HIM A CONTRACT!!!!!!" it is also totally misleading. You don't go into a negotiation with a prepared contract in your hand, and even if you did, you wouldn't hand it to the manager and say: "Here it is, just in case you change your mind". I should also add that comments made by certain media commentators over the weekend obviously came from the same source that drobba's comment came from (though more directly). They certainly did not get the information from us, or check with us.

Looks like Panthers management are owed an apology by a few people...
Another poster on the site recently something along the lines of player managers being less trustworthy than used care salesmen. Well I won't make the judgement. I will leave that to all of you. Personally I will believe Rob et. al. on this matter.

Cheers,
Tom

Just for info, the response to the allegation came from Panthers' Mick Leary. The statement "WAS NOT EVEN OFFERED A CONTRACT" came from another poster on PI. I know where that poster got there info from and where those people got there source from and Rob has mentioned the name. Those words above came from the mouth of the person Rob has named. How do I know this - because I am one of "those people".

*Sandy*

First Grade
And on that note I would like to remind posters that commenting from unsourced information is against the rules on this site.

The Legal stuff...
DEFAMATION AND NAMING NAMES
Implicating a person or persons by way of naming names is forbidden.
In this regard, we refer to spreading unfounded rumours, innuendo or over speculation.
It also refers to repeating private conversations, or something that your 'Dad's mate heard down at the pub'.
Until we can source our information directly to what Alan Gainy has *allegedly* stated to said supporters then unfortunately we will have to remove those comments.

*Sandy*

First Grade
No, not in my view.

The quote is linked to a penrith official reporting to fans.

I will certainly have Admin look at it though.

The Rhino

Juniors
No worries, I just felt it might be an idea to let supporters know as to how those words came about. My apologies.

*Sandy*

First Grade
The Rhino said:
No worries, I just felt it might be an idea to let supporters know as to how those words came about. My apologies.

It's cool Rhino, I just don't want members asking other members to recite what they heard and for it to follow in the other topics wake.

Panther said:
Good idea.He's got his own bloody forum

I don't know what your getting at there but I'm losing my patience with your subtle spamming.

*Sandy*

First Grade
It has been noted that of late that there has been a "spill over" of battles on the official Panthers website forum.

Please note that any disputes brought over here from other forums will not be tolerated, and the moderators will have no hesitation in deleting individual posts or the "quarantine" of entire threads if they are hijacked by such actions.

We allow Panthers fans to discuss about their beloved team. But with that comes boundaries and guidelines. If the boundaries are not pushed by arguments that are best left on other forums, then there will be no problem.

Any individual attempting to start something, either from scratch or through "subtle spamming" will receive an official warning, and any further offences will carry a suspension.

This forum, like all others on LU, abide by the general guidelines, which can be found here.

Let's keep this place peaceful. Remember we are all here to share our love for the mighty Panthers.

Cheers
Penrith Panthers moderators team

Panther

Juniors
Yes I was aware of that which is why I suggested this forum was not the place to repeat stuff said in "another place". No offence meant.

*Sandy*

First Grade
As we are all fans of Penrith here, there will no doubt be plenty of news articles and quotes written by either Rob Weaver or Max Cowan that will make it's way across cyber space to here.

Moderators discretion also plays a part. Common sense shows that the quote brought over was properly sourced and linked and includes important information for the fans of Penrith.

anjado

Juniors
i look forward to replacing Joel and Peter.
With Don Tweedle and Rhys Hanaby.
That type of big name recruiting is what we need.
Since we have done such a fantastic job or keeping our players over the past few years. Who needs Ben Pomeroy or Paul Whatuira when we can sign Mark O'Halloran.

I look forward to see who we sign for next year i could do with a laugh. Im sure it will be unknown Queensland cup player #27 or Bartacard cup superstar # 12.

mxlegend99

Referee
We signed a decent player in Adam Woolnough. Not quiet at Joels level really, but he is a hard worker and makes far less errors then Joel.

I have a feeling we will field a team that looks worse on paper then what we had this year, but performs better. You shave off a few errors and penalties from each match with solid guys like Woolnough, we still have the guys who can make something out of nothing in Wesser, Jennings, Gordon, Pritchard and when he decides to run it hard, Big T.

Definitely require a good halfback or 5/8 though, with Wallace going to the Broncos.

anjado

Juniors
mxlegend99 said:
We signed a decent player in Adam Woolnough. Not quiet at Joels level really, but he is a hard worker and makes far less errors then Joel.

I have a feeling we will field a team that looks worse on paper then what we had this year, but performs better. You shave off a few errors and penalties from each match with solid guys like Woolnough, we still have the guys who can make something out of nothing in Wesser, Jennings, Gordon, Pritchard and when he decides to run it hard, Big T.

Definitely require a good halfback or 5/8 though, with Wallace going to the Broncos.

I know Woolnough is decent though he probably should be better then what he currently is. But you sort of said what is wrong with the club. We signed Woolnough as a replacement and he is a level below . Why are we constantly letting players go and bringing in player of inferior quality.

Joel clinton hasn't been great the past few years but he is better then Woolnough. Plus we have never really replaced Lang or Ross.

Kilkenny

Coach
Need to recruit a least one more prop forward, hopefully someone who is a proven performer in the top grade or at the very least someone with the potential to develop into another Joel Clinton or Ben Ross.

Tim Grant is playing great footy at the moment.

He will be the next Joel Clinton IMO. He's got a bit of toughness, runs hard and is a local junior!!

Latest posts