What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment and Retention

Ads

First Grade
Takarangi is a local junior too.

Our juniors suck. We need to invest in our junior program when the cash rolls in. Get a junior recruitment officer and scour the country.

gregstar

Referee
it seems to be the other sad flipside to not having president's cup & reserve grade.

what was the point of the salary cap when an entire grade was removed?

webShark

Cordner is an old bar junior, we can't really claim him. Who did takarangi play for? I will update the list.
Nathan Green (Como upto u15)
Jack Bosden (Cats) don't know if he is still playing. Was last at Newtown.
Cameron King (Cats u15 with Peachey)

Rhys Lovegrove (Como) - Hull KR , English Super League

I agree hardly a bunch of hall of famers. That's why you do everything to keep the best of them.

Hearing Peach happy to come back in 2 years. By then too late. He will change his mind or we wouldn't pay enough.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I remember reading somewhere many moons ago that the Donkeys had something like 20 plus junior halfbacks on their books throughout the state.

I don't know what it is like these days but they'd go all over the joint just signing younguns up on scholarships or whatever.

That's correct.

I was teaching in Mount Isa and two of our twelve year olds received Bronco scholarships to study at private schools in Brisbane.

They didn't apply or anything.

I gather Cyril Connell saw them play in rep games and offered them the scholarship on that basis.

Quigs

Immortal
Funny hey Spock. Going back decades ago I was coaching my boys high school team because they didn't have a teacher willing enough to take it on.

Long story short, one of the lads, he was a good player but not a gun, his mother was totally against him playing rugby league as it was too brutal and dangerous. It was only because of his old man and moi that he was allowed to play.

Well next minute she is all excited and jumping up and down because the Cowboys had approached them and had signed up the young bloke (on a retainer or a scholarship or 'sumpant' - I can't remember)

The young bloke went okay but at least 4 others had better skills and rugby league brains. (one was a bloke called Scott Minto)

The bloke finished highschool and finished his RL career at the same time.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The roosters have 4 small clubs in their junior catchment. Bondi united, paddo, clovelly and st Charles (who are only up to u13 anyway). Coogee are in the Souths catchment.

I'm pretty sure the only true rooster junior playing NRL is tom symonds.

Current sharks juniors in the NRL are:

Chad (Yarra tigers)
Mills (Yarra tigers)
Lichaa (black cats)
Peachey (black cats)
Paris (de la)
Galloway ( Yarra tigers)
James Hassan (de la)
Mitch brown (gymea)
Joel Reddy (Yarra tigers)
Bryson Goodwin (gymea)
Brad Takarangi

That's all I can think of, there might be one or two more. These boys were absolute stand outs in the local league. Dominant as dominant can be and at best they are fringe first graders or honest toilers in the top grade. That's the strength of our local league. The best players are nowhere near good enough relative to other comps. I will be astonished if another player with the ability of Healey or Dykes is ever unearthed, let alone another ET.

There isn't a club getting around with 50% local juniors in their NRL side. Nowhere near it.

Ayshford was a roosters junior i think.

Ads

First Grade
Think ayshford went to endeavour. 25% sharks junior by default. Would explain why he's so shit.

imasharkie

Coach
The roosters have 4 small clubs in their junior catchment. Bondi united, paddo, clovelly and st Charles (who are only up to u13 anyway). Coogee are in the Souths catchment.

I'm pretty sure the only true rooster junior playing NRL is tom symonds.

Current sharks juniors in the NRL are:

Chad (Yarra tigers)
Mills (Yarra tigers)
Lichaa (black cats)
Peachey (black cats)
Paris (de la)
Galloway ( Yarra tigers)
James Hassan (de la)
Mitch brown (gymea)
Joel Reddy (Yarra tigers)
Bryson Goodwin (gymea)
Brad Takarangi

That's all I can think of, there might be one or two more. These boys were absolute stand outs in the local league. Dominant as dominant can be and at best they are fringe first graders or honest toilers in the top grade. That's the strength of our local league. The best players are nowhere near good enough relative to other comps. I will be astonished if another player with the ability of Healey or Dykes is ever unearthed, let alone another ET.

There isn't a club getting around with 50% local juniors in their NRL side. Nowhere near it.
Frizzell

Snoop Shark

First Grade
There is a guy who has played with a few clubs currently carving up at the moment. Sure he has had a bad run with off field issues but he would drop everything to get a crack at firsts.
I'm talking about Arana Taumata. Absolutely killing it for Newtown.

Seriously if anyone from the club wants to send me a PM, I'll take 120k plus super to leave my current job and sign fair dinkum footy players.