What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment so Far.

antonius

Coach
Don’t know about you guys but I am extremely dissapointed at our clubs recruiment activities so far this year. We have re-signed Perry for an amount I fear is more than the "take it or leave it" $170,000 original offer. Luke Davico, who may prove to be a Craig Smith type buy (old but experienced) and a one year winger in Brian Carney. When you look at the building/retention going on at other clubs (the Roosters in particular) it is very disheartening to come to the realisation that really we are not going to be much better off next year than this year. Davico has a big question mark over him fitness wise, as does Carney, who according to some British posters here has only played a handfull of games in the past two years due to injury. I hope we have learned an important lesson from all this, that lesson is to do a bit of forward planning in recruitment. It’s become blatently obvious that Sarge did some very questionable deals in regards to contract upgrades in the past, and they have cost us dearly for next year. The upside is the progress of players like Mullen. Hinton, Walsh, White etc,and it’s to be hoped the club ensure these players stay at the club, and are given the chance to progress based on talent and performance.

antonius said:
The upside is the progress of players like Mullen. Hinton, Walsh, White etc,and it’s to be hoped the club ensure these players stay at the club, and are given the chance to progress based on talent and performance.

Well said. Not sure about Davicos age? People were critical Carney was only a one year wonder. How many more years does Davico have in him? On the positive side Craig Smith was only here for a year but made a big difference. Just look at our for & against in games before he came and since he's been here. Plus its good to have good experienced guys like him to impart his knowledge to promising juniors.

Just how good will the Tigers be next year with excellent young players and a scattering of gold experience players. They should be the bolters next year and will have their share of wins this year too. We will have to wait beyond 2007 to have our year again.

~bedsy~

First Grade
I like that fact of us having good jnr's and trying to keep them, I'm not all surprised that they haven't really got anyone from the open market.

m0j0

Bench
The Little People said:
Well said. Not sure about Davicos age?
He's already 32.

Funnily enough, I looked for this info on nrl.com and found him in the Knights section, which I assume means outside of injury, he's right to play this year. The funny part of this is the blurb about him (remember he is listed as a Knight):

nrl.com said:
Enjoyed a welcome return to form in 2003 after a couple of injury-plagued seasons. Will once again be the Raiders’ main go-forward man and only injury has dented his representative aspirations. Tough and well respected.

Bring it home Knights said:
signing carney was the stupidest move ever. He'll likely take a year to find his feet in the nrl, so he will offer us little.

And signing a 32 year old Davico who has played an NRL game for a year and a half isnt? We need a speedy winger. And sounds ike he may be a drawcard

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
we lack props more then backs and davico has missed a lot of football in the past so may be in football terms more like 29/30. Carney is in his late 20's and is only playing for one year for us, davico 2. Davico is a proven nrl player, how many nrl games has carney played?

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
I was seriously hoping we would sign a Flannery or Harrison. Players would be tempted to come to the Knights for the chance to play along side Johns and Buderus but I seriously doubt we have the money to get players of that calibre and if we do then we are wasting it on charity cases such as smith and davico.

But we have some good raw talent getting some experience, I like the look of Brad Tighe and Thaiday.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
I was seriously hoping we would sign a Flannery or Harrison. Players would be tempted to come to the Knights for the chance to play along side Johns and Buderus but I seriously doubt we have the money to get players of that calibre and if we do then we are wasting it on charity cases such as smith and davico.

But we have some good raw talent getting some experience, I like the look of Brad Tighe and Thaiday.
Thaiday had a good game tonight and Tighe was ok too. Dustin Cooper looks dangerous.

Bring it home Knights said:
we lack props more then backs and davico has missed a lot of football in the past so may be in football terms more like 29/30. Carney is in his late 20's and is only playing for one year for us, davico 2. Davico is a proven nrl player, how many nrl games has carney played?

Can you please advise the forum how many games you have seen Carney play ......... Like most of us probably 1 or 2 or maybe none ............... He is rated by more astute people in league than me and you as the best winger in the world so lets just wait till next year hey .......

Misanthrope

Staff member
He is rated by more astute people in league than me and you as the best winger in the world so lets just wait till next year hey .......

Dead right. I've seen Carney play more games than I count (in both ESL and for Great Britain & Ireland) and he's the goods. People don't just bandy around terms like 'world's best winger' because they like his accent or the way he does his hair.

Ben

Bench
'because they like his accent or the way he does his hair.'hahaha...that just reminds me of the clip they did in england with him running away with the camera.

chinorocks

Juniors
I'm not concerned about how "speedy" our outside backs are. I'm concerned with whether or not they can tackle because our defence out wide has cost us at least 5 or 6 games this year, including last nights game.

chriswalkerbush said:
Dead right. I've seen Carney play more games than I count (in both ESL and for Great Britain & Ireland) and he's the goods. People don't just bandy around terms like 'world's best winger' because they like his accent or the way he does his hair.

A) His here for a year.
B) His missed a tonne of footy through injury.

Unless he plays over 20 games he is sh*thouse value for us, and at the knights we are the highest injured club ever, I'd rather them have taken his 100-150k and brought a decent physio into the club.

hatty

Juniors
I never thought i would see the day when an aussie club signs up uk cast offs:D

messrs:
Smith
Davico
Carney
Still you lot have done it to us....more than once;-)

antonius

Coach
Looks like we are signing local prop Danny Vaughan to a two year deal, announced this morning that a contract will be drawn up today, and the club hope to play him in Premmy League this weekend.

Spike

First Grade
We've also signed a centre Luke Hession from Balmain. I've seen him play a number of times and consider him a tard. Slow and weak in defence. Can kick goals, that's about it.

Spike

First Grade
Cause no one of any quality wants to sign with a club with management like ours