What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment so Far.

Johns Magic

Referee
macavity said:
well then... dont sign anyone?

hey we got Carney here for a holiday.... :rolleyes:

Can you stop bitching about Carney?

He's the best winger in the world. You're deluded if you think having him here for what he's on is a bad thing.

Johns Magic

Referee
Who this year have we lost that we genuinely want to keep? No one.

There was no one of quality off contract so we bought a stop-gap. A world-class stop-gap at that.

Next year his money will be used for a better cause.

antonius

Coach
The club are talking with local boy Polglase on a possible return to the club. I find it hard to get excited about that one. How much are we paying for Carney just out of interest??

roopy

Referee
Polglase was our best junior in 2000.
He has been to three other clubs since then, and I think he got a bit of firstgrade at all of them.
He is playing regular firstgrade at Souths now.
He can play fullback, wing or centre - so if we get him at the right price he will add a lot of experience and versatility to our backline stocks.

Phillips

Referee
Johns Magic said:
Can you stop bitching about Carney?

He's the best winger in the world. You're deluded if you think having him here for what he's on is a bad thing.

i guess thats not good enough for some people :lol:

Hurriflatch

Referee
Carney is a very good player and could do some good things if he and Johns can both stay on the field for more then 5 games in a row.

but the BIG difference between Davico, Smith and Carney is that both Davico and Smith MIGHT stay for a 2nd year depending on form, fitness, salary cap etc whereas Carney is going after a yera regardless of what happens.

antonius

Coach
roopy said:
Polglase was our best junior in 2000.
He has been to three other clubs since then, and I think he got a bit of firstgrade at all of them.
He is playing regular firstgrade at Souths now.
He can play fullback, wing or centre - so if we get him at the right price he will add a lot of experience and versatility to our backline stocks.
I think he went to the Bulldogs, then perhaps the cowboys (not sure) then Souths, He's on the bench for them this week. The problem I have with the signings we've made is that in all honesty we haven't improved one area of the team IMO. We lose Smith, replaced by Davico, re-signed Perry and Abraham, signed Carney who may or may not prove to be of value, and in any case will be gone after his stint here. Then basically it's bit part players from the local comp, or guys like Polglase (if we get him) There have been some good players on the market, we just haven't been in a position to go after any of them. We really haven't signed anyone that is going to turn us around from what we've seen this year, if our injury run continues we will be much the same with I fear the same sort of results. It's hard to swallow but the reality is, we are basically the same team as this year. I think it's going to be a few years before we get back on track again, if this years recruitment efforts are anything to go by. Our best chance of getting back on a par with the top clubs will be to keep a hold of the promising guys coming through now, and build around them, I would rather the money be spent on them than on the so so guys we seem to be getting so far.

I would give the knights a 8.5 out of 10 for the recruitment job theyve done for next year.

Not sure what people expect the knights to do with recruitement. The players we are getting are reflective of the money we have left in our cap.

We cant buy players who will turn our club around , as our "top 5" earners are all re signed for next year .. Johns,Simpson,Buderis,gidley bros. They eat half our cap which is the same boat all clubs are in .. Unless you let go one of your top 5 then you wont sign anyone beyond players like vaughan, polglase etc , ie guys who want an opportunity.

I think given theyve added davico, Re signed abraham and Perry and signed a player whos regarded as "worlds best" in his position , all with our top 5 signed , well i cant understand how people can be upset about the recruitement job done by the knights.

We seem to have kept most of the good juniors as well , AND will offload underachievers in Carmont, Hall, Kennedy, Price.

As for Carney, well plenty of players have played only 1 season with a club and done a great job for them , for example David Fairleigh ( Knights) , Craig Smith ( Knights ) , Amos Roberts ( Panthers ) , Ellery hanley ( Tigers) .. given our current place on the table i think people should give carney a go , lets face it , we couldnt have afforded him for more than 1 year anyway , hes probably playing for us for the lowest contract hes ever signed , and for probably half what he will get in 2007 for GC.

i think the big test will be in 12 months , when 3 of our top 5 are off contract , Johns and Gidleys off contract , and Carney off. So we will have more money and will have the opportunity to buy true top liners...

antonius

Coach
UPTHEGUTSBUTTS said:
I would give the knights a 8.5 out of 10 for the recruitment job theyve done for next year.

Not sure what people expect the knights to do with recruitement. The players we are getting are reflective of the money we have left in our cap.

We cant buy players who will turn our club around , as our "top 5" earners are all re signed for next year .. Johns,Simpson,Buderis,gidley bros. They eat half our cap which is the same boat all clubs are in .. Unless you let go one of your top 5 then you wont sign anyone beyond players like vaughan, polglase etc , ie guys who want an opportunity.

I think given theyve added davico, Re signed abraham and Perry and signed a player whos regarded as "worlds best" in his position , all with our top 5 signed , well i cant understand how people can be upset about the recruitement job done by the knights.

We seem to have kept most of the good juniors as well , AND will offload underachievers in Carmont, Hall, Kennedy, Price.

As for Carney, well plenty of players have played only 1 season with a club and done a great job for them , for example David Fairleigh ( Knights) , Craig Smith ( Knights ) , Amos Roberts ( Panthers ) , Ellery hanley ( Tigers) .. given our current place on the table i think people should give carney a go , lets face it , we couldnt have afforded him for more than 1 year anyway , hes probably playing for us for the lowest contract hes ever signed , and for probably half what he will get in 2007 for GC.

i think the big test will be in 12 months , when 3 of our top 5 are off contract , Johns and Gidleys off contract , and Carney off. So we will have more money and will have the opportunity to buy true top liners...
Yep the points you make are all good. I'm not sure about the junior signings though, they have signed a few of them, but there are others that would be tempted with good offers from other clubs. We haven't offloaded Carmont he is still contracted to us, we have offered to release him, if he doesn't land another club, then he will be here next year is the way I understand it. What I am trying to say is that the recruitment this year isn't going to change the team performance around from what we've seen this year. I expect us to finish better than we will this season, but I don't have illusions of us threatening the title with what we've done thus far. I think it will take a few years yet.

antonius

Coach
Johns Magic said:
Apparently Carmont has a club from England interested in him.
Yes, I heard that also, and the money is good also. Carmont said that he isn't that keen to go to England, and that he still has a few things to prove in the NRL, and his preference is to play in Australia. Just have to see how it pans out I suppose. Also if he is signed by another club I think we still have to pay part of his contract anyway. (not sure on that one though)

Johns Magic

Referee
Yeah because if he does leave it will be Carmont's choice, meaning he will have nothing to do with us in '06. If he leaves, he won't have taken the option to be on our payroll in '06. Hence he's not contracted, meaning we owe him nothing.

All round is a few things go our way ( carmont and Kennedy leaving of their own accord) then weve done Ok for 06 , and hope for a few big signings for 07

antonius

Coach
After last nights effort I will re-assess my opinion on next years prospects. I think I've been too caught up in the misery that has been this year, there were a lot of positives last night.

Jono078

Referee
I remember reading our newly signed player, Danny Vaughan played in the Premier League match, anyone know how he went ?

Swampy

Juniors
I'm assuming Danny Vaughan was wearing No 18 if so he got sent off for a high tackle.
Apart from that and although he tried he had trouble keeping up with the pace of the game which is understandable.In saying that a few of the other players had trouble keeping up with the speed that Parra played the game.

Latest posts