What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Alert! Coaches Magic Chairs

Old Timer

Coach
OT only points 2,3 and 4 to go
Missed you posting the last little bit BSE everything OK?
I have had the trolls to keep me company while all the good guys have been holidaying or attending to medical issues etc.
Grand Orient posted the other day as well and hopefully young Wittenberg might turn up again shortly.
Just hope all are as best as can be and looking forward to seeing some quality posts from blokes who know their footy.

loveoursaints

Juniors
1. Mary is not in form. His selection choices and bench management very poor.
2. Team moral is high because the team is winning.
3. How would anyone know what Hunt thinks about Mary's tactics. If the forwards become busted and burnt out, these tactics will be seen for what they are; a short term solution employed at the expense of the our forwards.
4. Cast your mind back to 2015. We still have a few straight wins to match that wining run before falling over.
5. Mary being a former international centre, would be well aware of what has to be done with out backline. The problem is, he really isn't a good coach/teacher. A remedy for our problematic right side defence and generally our outside back defensive skills should have been achieved years ago.

Hater!!

Old Timer

Coach
Thank you OT, just got back from a well deserved break.

One Of The Good Guys
That is one of the best responses to anything ever gotta love your work OV.
I often think that this is your theme song.
It will be my request that they will play this at my funeral.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Missed you posting the last little bit BSE everything OK?
I have had the trolls to keep me company while all the good guys have been holidaying or attending to medical issues etc.
Grand Orient posted the other day as well and hopefully young Wittenberg might turn up again shortly.
Just hope all are as best as can be and looking forward to seeing some quality posts from blokes who know their footy.
All good bud...thanks for the support....look forward to your posts as well...

Dragon for life

Juniors
F**king agree totally.
Hunt likes our tactics!! What tactics? We have a dominant forward pack who are probably close to the best pack in the Nrl. Even mary should be able to coach them( yeah right)!! With our forward pack the backs should be blowing the other teams off the park due to field position but they still have to wait for their turn to shine. By that I mean instead of waiting for the fourth tackle to have their turn how about swinging it straight out after Frizell or the like has just made a huge run up the middle and have the opposition on the backfoot, but no lets keep to our structure and waste another forward up the middle and not throw it wide when the defensive line is in tatters.

I feel like we have been lucky in some of our games and have only hung on to win when we should have blown them away.

Get rid of Mcgregor and start fresh. I don't even care if the coach is unknown. Mary has had his time too impress and hasn't proven he is worthy of taking this great club forward.

ALSGI

Bench
F**king agree totally.
Hunt likes our tactics!! What tactics? We have a dominant forward pack who are probably close to the best pack in the Nrl. Even mary should be able to coach them( yeah right)!! With our forward pack the backs should be blowing the other teams off the park due to field position but they still have to wait for their turn to shine. By that I mean instead of waiting for the fourth tackle to have their turn how about swinging it straight out after Frizell or the like has just made a huge run up the middle and have the opposition on the backfoot, but no lets keep to our structure and waste another forward up the middle and not throw it wide when the defensive line is in tatters.

I feel like we have been lucky in some of our games and have only hung on to win when we should have blown them away.

Get rid of Mcgregor and start fresh. I don't even care if the coach is unknown. Mary has had his time too impress and hasn't proven he is worthy of taking this great club forward.
Hunt was quoted somewhere as saying something like he likes the sounds of Dragons plans for a power game, space created by the forwards for the backs, playing what's in front of them, something like that. I think that's what the poster meant by Hunt agreeing with Mary.

mickeylane

Bench
Ur th
Winning games comfortably is a bit of a stretch.
We limped in against Cronulla after a great start and did exactly the same against the Warriors.
In both those games we were playing out of our skins with no real upside left and if the opposition had been more disciplined in their approach they could have very well won those games and we could be 1 - 3.
If one is truly pragmatic about it we had little improvement in our game as we don't use our backs as the source of attack but the opposition in both games were like badly tuned motor cars that can be tuned so that they pur and if that had been the case we would struggle.

Dude u are truely a negative soul... Ur telling me beating the Sharks on their home ground was not a monumental effort - one that not many teams if any will Achieve this year .. Then smashing Penrith off the back of our piss poor effiort against Souths in the CS wasn't even more impressive and your telling he we are struggling? I'm certain u were one of the many on this site saying that we will be 0-4 in the first 4 rounds.. Now ur still berating our so called "average" team.. Mate enjoy the ride because of tomorrow there are 15 teams behind us on the table and I don't care what u think we are playing amazingly well and winning games in my eyes "easily"

So unless u have positive views or constructive commentary about our team I don't want to know .. Actually go and follow another team - one that satisfys ur needs..

mickeylane

Bench
Possm
1. Mary is not in form. His selection choices and bench management very poor.
2. Team moral is high because the team is winning.
3. How would anyone know what Hunt thinks about Mary's tactics. If the forwards become busted and burnt out, these tactics will be seen for what they are; a short term solution employed at the expense of the our forwards.
4. Cast your mind back to 2015. We still have a few straight wins to match that wining run before falling over.
5. Mary being a former international centre, would be well aware of what has to be done with out backline. The problem is, he really isn't a good coach/teacher. A remedy for our problematic right side defence and generally our outside back defensive skills should have been achieved years ago.
I think ur incorrect on at least 3 points.

1. Mcgregor 100% is. a better coach this year - Theres no comparison to how bad he was last year
2. The teams morale is at an all time high because of the team revised set up ( training staff, medical, revised tactics) the team is on a high and not all to do w winning -
3. Regarding the backline im resigned to the fact that we have 6 average to good centres in our club - there are no Jennings, Walkers, Leilua, fergursons in our club - hence the backs except for Dugan will never rip a team apart as there isn't enough talent in the backline - no coach will be able to improve our backine performance because the players are not there ( forget the days of Gasnier, Cooper)

We may have to live w Mcgregor and if so will have to support what He's doing - don't forget there are a cast of thousands that are behind the scenes coaching and adding their thoughts on the teams make up on the football field and the tactics we should be playing to - I've seen it countless times at training - there are up to 5 coaches on the field during training all having an input into the sessions; Mcgregor, Hornby , young, head, Cooper are all part of the coaching process - surely they can see if the backs are performing or not!!

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Ur th

Dude u are truely a negative soul... Ur telling me beating the Sharks on their home ground was not a monumental effort - one that not many teams if any will Achieve this year .. Then smashing Penrith off the back of our piss poor effiort against Souths in the CS wasn't even more impressive and your telling he we are struggling? I'm certain u were one of the many on this site saying that we will be 0-4 in the first 4 rounds.. Now ur still berating our so called "average" team.. Mate enjoy the ride because of tomorrow there are 15 teams behind us on the table and I don't care what u think we are playing amazingly well and winning games in my eyes "easily"

So unless u have positive views or constructive commentary about our team I don't want to know .. Actually go and follow another team - one that satisfys ur needs..
Don't put words in other peoples mouths.
I said in plenty of posts I am happy we are winning and congratulated those responsible.
However I am not willing to get carried away on the back of 4 or 5 games nor am I willing to dismiss the obvious shortcomings as we have seen this all before.
If we are truly a good side we need our outside backs to really fire and achieve outcomes and to date that has not happened.
Having just watched the Canberra side and how their backs play makes our inadequacies even more noticeable.
Watching how the young Penrith halves play also shows the marked difference between good sides and adequate sides.
Your obviously willing to sell your sole and have Mc Plod at half where I am not.
Let's see if I have to eat more crow down the track or whether you will start crying for changes.
In respect of you telling me to go and following another team go and f**k yourself as I have always and will always follow the Dragons and be totally honest in my appraisal of them. I have always followed them without fear or favour
You, you imposter come up with should we consider Hoapate.
FFS that's really supporting the players on the books and the one's coming up through the ranks and you question me.

mickeylane

Bench
Don't put words in other peoples mouths.
I said in plenty of posts I am happy we are winning and congratulated those responsible.
However I am not willing to get carried away on the back of 4 or 5 games nor am I willing to dismiss the obvious shortcomings as we have seen this all before.
If we are truly a good side we need our outside backs to really fire and achieve outcomes and to date that has not happened.
Having just watched the Canberra side and how their backs play makes our inadequacies even more noticeable.
Watching how the young Penrith halves play also shows the marked difference between good sides and adequate sides.
Your obviously willing to sell your sole and have Mc Plod at half where I am not.
Let's see if I have to eat more crow down the track or whether you will start crying for changes.
In respect of you telling me to go and following another team go and f**k yourself as I have always and will always follow the Dragons and be totally honest in my appraisal of them. I have always followed them without fear or favour
You, you imposter come up with should we consider Hoapate.
FFS that's really supporting the players on the books and the one's coming up through the ranks and you question me.
Re Hopoate all I was saying that his agent is shopping him around and should we consider him - I hate Hopoate!!!

Old Timer

Coach
Re Hopoate all I was saying that his agent is shopping him around and should we consider him - I hate Hopoate!!!
mickeylane
Is that how you really feel because this is a quote from your own post

"Personally I don't mind him in the wing - he played their w origin and I believe his best position..
Feedback as he's being shopped around now !"

Not quite the same as what you are saying now

"I hate Hopoate!!!

One needs to be a bit more consistent especially when both posts are on the same day.

mickeylane

Bench
mickeylane
Is that how you really feel because this is a quote from your own post

"Personally I don't mind him in the wing - he played their w origin and I believe his best position..
Feedback as he's being shopped around now !"

Not quite the same as what you are saying now

"I hate Hopoate!!!

One needs to be a bit more consistent especially when both posts are on the same day.
Stop preaching ur not some guru -

Old Timer

Coach
Stop preaching ur not some guru -
Wake up to yourself this is what you said

"So unless u have positive views or constructive commentary about our team I don't want to know .. Actually go and follow another team - one that satisfys ur needs.."

Then you have the temerity to say I was preaching.
As I said before go f**k yourself.

loveoursaints

Juniors
F**king agree totally.

Hater

possm

Coach
Hunt was quoted somewhere as saying something like he likes the sounds of Dragons plans for a power game, space created by the forwards for the backs, playing what's in front of them, something like that. I think that's what the poster meant by Hunt agreeing with Mary.
Of course Hunt would like a power game plan. The load transfers to the forwards and the fun stuff is executed by the backs. My main concern is for the ability of the forwards to continue in power mode. If they fall away from power mode for any reason, the Dragons are in for hard times.