What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red V Forum

saint.nick

Coach
Seems like Rothfield didn't even need a membership to get in, due to his occupation. So good on him for still buying a membership. He's a sharks fan, so maybe he does have an underlying dislike for us, but he's not 'out to get us' all the time, and I hope this video helps put that myth to bed.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Doust has been able to fit Morris, Nighty, Merrin, Cooper, Weyman, Hunt, Creagh, Soward (now gone), Fein, Prior. All who were good enough to get to a grand Final in 2010 which was not that long ago. If they went to other clubs some of these guys could easily get 500k whilst the cheapest would be 300k. Our Wingers alone would cost over 1 mil if they both went to another club. These players alone would put a club well over the cap but Doust has managed to keep them for PRICE to make a competitive team. Stop blaming Doust. He turned up so he at least takes responsibility and shows he is accountable.

Mr Red

First Grade
there is no way in the world ANY winger is worth 500k a season.. it would be improper management of the salary cap to spend that much on a non-critical position. Just like a prop..
thats why i always cringe when Doust refers to players like Hunt and Morris as marquee players...

dragondonar1

Juniors
Yes I can blame doust. We all knew hornby was playing on last legs. We all knew cooper and weyman are injury prone. Doust shouldn't ever make a all or nothing play in signing cronk and bellamy. Even if we did sign them you should never put all your eggs in one basket. Now it didn't come off for the club he uses the excuse of bennett leaving is always going to make it hard for the coach taking over. But that's no excuse. Don't use price if he isn't up to standard. The only solution fixed during last year was asigning beale to fix up fullback. All other positions were left in the back burner. So slippery, I understand what your saying but it's only an excuse. We shouldn't be in this position ever.

Yes I can blame doust. We all knew hornby was playing on last legs. We all knew cooper and weyman are injury prone. Doust shouldn't ever make a all or nothing play in signing cronk and bellamy. Even if we did sign them you should never put all your eggs in one basket. Now it didn't come off for the club he uses the excuse of bennett leaving is always going to make it hard for the coach taking over. But that's no excuse. Don't use price if he isn't up to standard. The only solution fixed during last year was asigning beale to fix up fullback. All other positions were left in the back burner. So slippery, I understand what your saying but it's only an excuse. We shouldn't be in this position ever.

...like i said - he seems to be an all or nothing CEO

If he pulls of another biggie like he almost did with Bellamy, he'll be the greatest CEO on earth ...again. Just ask him!

Gomarchin

Juniors

I agree - we can and must blame Doust for the mess we are in. How can a CEO doing his job not have a contingency/Plan B if and when his "all or nothing" plan A (signing Bellamy/Cronk) not come off? Amateur hour.

watatank

Coach
Yeah, point well taken.

I do not have access to watching any Juniors Play, and so I make bare assertions based on the (ahem) facts and opinions provided on this forum - and the Dragons Website.

But how did Nathan Greene get a gurnsey ahead of say Runciman?

To say that Steve Price HAS judiciously brought players through at the maximum rate they can handle ...and with consideration too to what the team's needs are - well, I don't know....

Besides, as I said, not to "throw them in" as a resident of a particular position, but as much game exposure (and rotation) to the extent that it develops confidence and not destroys it - as you rightly point out with Parra halves.

I interpret the adherence to our current halves pairing (and also when Jamie Soward was still here) as stubborn, and equates to neglecting the opportunity to give others more exposure.

Maybe Dragons do it already, but it would be interesting to anonymously survey our Juniors to measure their perception of opportunities made available to them under the current coaching regime (Paul McGregor included).

Maybe their opinion on that subject is worth about as much as when the (1st grade) players say Steve Price is a good Coach - for better or worse.

Well basing your opinion on this forum is never a good idea, even if it's your only access. There's so much bias, some more than others. You kinda need to have insight into the players in the squad to understand why Price makes the calls he does.

Green has been in the team ahead of Runciman because he's older, more experienced and was one of the better centres in the U20s as well. Runciman is a good prospect as well but he's still quite raw. I was surprised he was called up because I didn't really see him step up that much with the Cutters but he has done well so far.

As for when is the right time to bring players through it's hard to say. Young players need to come into strong teams to get the most out of them, we don't have that so it's hard to make the right call on this. People want fresh blood and I agree it needs to happen but we can't just throw just anyone in because we need them to be ready, they need to be ready as well.

I don't agree with how Price has handled the halves (when Siejka became available) and hooker (with Rein still starting ahead of King, injuries aside) but I think Price has done an ok job for the most part to hold the other players back.

Last edited:

Latest posts