What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red V Forum

TheRev

Coach
Despite this, Price has still given first grade debuts to a stack of players. Stockwell, Cook, Runciman, Quinlan, Garvey, Drinkwater.
People want Quinlan in the halves. Mistake. He's a fullback right now. if a shift is on the cards he needs to learn the trade in NSW Cup.

That said, I want to him to give Seijka a start asap.

I generally agree with you, but Drinkwater's 20 minutes I wouldnt call a start in 1st grade, he actually played well and was never seen again, I suspect there was an attitude issue around that time.

Cook & Garvey are getting 20-40mins when selected, its not a bad situation to have one of them on the bench and Rein or King as the first choice hooker starting, I think thats a pretty gentle way to be introduced I think, its just challenging that there are so many hookers in our club, to spread the gametime around.. but then King seems injured most of the time anyway.

Quinlan has very limited experience at fullback, did he have anything before the 6 or so games for the Cutters this year? It was Lett and Cummins before that. Adam has a tonne of development to do if he wants to be a longterm 1st grade fullback, but hes good enough to fill in for injury, hes just going to make mistakes and wont have the polish... but with Cummins too, its a perfect opportunity to try that jump to 5/8, really it was forced.

In terms of learning your trade in the Cutters, absolutely, this is my chief beef with Pricey and McGregor, they leave it to the last minute, someone should have had atleast half a season in the Cutters #6 jersey (other than Ryan), the experiment should have happened earlier in the year, as it should have last year for Kyle, before our season was virtually over.

And Runciman wont be wasted for the Cutters if Cooper is back, hes still very fresh to this level of football, what 2 games for the cutters.. that to me is an example of pushing it in terms of youth.. but hes been ok so far, we will know more later in the year, tbh our centres have been so terrible that anyone else looks like a hero.

Godz Illa

Coach
In terms of learning your trade in the Cutters, absolutely, this is my chief beef with Pricey and McGregor, they leave it to the last minute, someone should have had atleast half a season in the Cutters #6 jersey (other than Ryan), the experiment should have happened earlier in the year, as it should have last year for Kyle, before our season was virtually over.
Why not Ryan? He actually played in the halves in the NYC - ahead of Quinlan who was fullback or (occasionally) centre. It's easy to say now in hindsight, since we have acquired Dugan, and Soward is gone. Quinlan has moved ahead of Ryan now, sure but isn't that the idea? To reward performance?

watatank

Coach
Unless you are the captain and halfback, isn't that the case anyway?

Most captains are in the 1,6,7,9.

Anyway, when there's 17 players that run onto the field every week, I think it's hard to have one designated leader.

I do think leadership is something the club is missing in general. But is it all on Creagh? I don't believe so. We have a new coach, new captain, we lost our previous captain and vice captain for the past few years, our other senior players are passengers and then we have a mix of young players, average players and good ones. Our playmakers are the worst in the competition and got worse after releasing one of them. Our forwards get smashed every week. It's a pretty poor situation for any captain to be in, let alone a new one.

TheRev

Coach
Why not Ryan? He actually played in the halves in the NYC - ahead of Quinlan who was fullback or (occasionally) centre. It's easy to say now in hindsight, since we have acquired Dugan, and Soward is gone. Quinlan has moved ahead of Ryan now, sure but isn't that the idea? To reward performance?
This is going to sound a bit brutal, but Ryan is one of the Cutters players that will never actually make it to 1st grade, he doesnt stand out at that level, so you would never pick him to lead your first grade squad, someone like Hastings (for example & if he stays) would be more likely to be pushed through than Ryan, or the club will go externally like Harry or DW.

I dont know if Todd sees it that way, or the club.. how do you have that conversation? But the Cutters only goal should be grooming players who will come into 1st grade, and there are a couplf of potential 1st grade quality blokes who cant get in because of our glut of hookers & fullbacks, and they are the ones I would have experimented with.

Ofcourse if you disagree with my opinion on Ryan then id understand completely about him keeping his spot, but the club seems to be of the same view the way they have recruited.

Rex Terp

First Grade
I agree about Ryan. I actually thought Jared Allen was much more talented than Ryan, and not sure why he wasn't given more of a go.

saint.nick

Coach
I actually agree with the guy who doesn't want the big yellow M at the games. In the current scheme of things, it's not important, but the sight of it there just doesn't sit well with me. They need to spend money on fixing up that exterior wall of the hill that's seen from the highway too. It's an absolute disgrace. The bricks/tiles are dirty, there are vines everywhere and there's graffiti. I guess you could keep the graffiti art of the saints player though. They need to clean that up and maybe add something to it. How about red glowing lights around the whole exterior stadium to make it look like a bit more of a cauldron, like they do for NSW at ANZ? And to a much larger extent, for Bayern Munich at their Allianz stadium?

watatank

Coach
Ryan is one of many U20s player that was rewarded by with a spot in the full time training squad every year. Some make it, many don't, it's really a non issue.

I agree Ryan probably won't make it, but the criticism is over the top. Quinlan probably won't make it either. If he does, it won't be for a while and it will most likely be at fullback.

Godz Illa

Coach
I don't think Ryan will make it either, I wasn't saying he would (I also thought Jared Allen seemed the better prospect). I was simply saying that he deserved to be picked in the Cutters' halves ahead of Quinlan at the beginning of the year, because he was ahead of him in that role in NYC. Things have changed since, but you can't rewrite it with hindsight

watatank

Coach
Quinlan looks like a player that needed the extra time. He would have benefited from that as well as the time at fullback to build his confidence. Now Cummins has returned from injury it's a good time to move him.

TheRev

Coach
I don't think Ryan will make it either, I wasn't saying he would (I also thought Jared Allen seemed the better prospect). I was simply saying that he deserved to be picked in the Cutters' halves ahead of Quinlan at the beginning of the year, because he was ahead of him in that role in NYC. Things have changed since, but you can't rewrite it with hindsight
Yep totally getchya, things changed with Dugan & Soward and hindsight is hindsight (though both were expected), but they still need to be more pro-active, Lett started at fullback this year for the longest time and there have been quite a few opportunities even if its just 1-2 extra weeks they could have been moved a player earlier.. but im happy with this week with the Cutters squad for sure.. wish em all the best their next 2 games are against Top 4 teams, will be tough.

Quinlan looks like a player that needed the extra time. He would have benefited from that as well as the time at fullback to build his confidence. Now Cummins has returned from injury it's a good time to move him.
Yaa I hope you are right that the experience this year (esp in 1st grade) will make a huge difference in his chances of success @6, it will also be interesting aswell how he works with Harry, because Harry is pressing for a 1st grade spot too and both will want the ball and to take control.. maybe Quin will take a backseat initially & let Harry do most kicking.. Quin needs to get in there and use his speed and running game... we shall see!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The more I think about the red V forum the more I think Price has just put the last nail in his coffin. He knew the forum would be bagging their performances on the field and knew they would bagging his selections. Even if Doust told him not to attend he should have still showed up told everyone that he stands by his decisions and most of all show some passion and fight for his job as surely he must know it is on the line. By facing the music and not letting his boss do all the hard work he would have proven a point to Doust that he really wants the role and is accountable for what is happening. He would have also made some stance to the supporters that he really wants the job long term and will fight to keep it. He would have also shown he takes on all responsibility for the teams performance and not only back himself but most of all his players. He chooses not to turn up. It became so clear why the performances are so bad having someone like that in charge. He does not take accoutability at all rather just go along for the ride and see what happens.

And someone questioned leadership in this post earlier. Well there is a good example of why we don't have good leadership within the team. It all starts from the coach. Ben Hornby was a goodd leader because he learned from his coach how to lead and be accountable for all his actions. Poor Ben hasn't got that as it proved on Monday night.

Seriously if people can honestly say Price did not have to show up and defend his actions and best of all him players on Monday night then they are wrong. That was the best time for him to stand up for himself and the players and show he is committed to making it work. He would have definately had more to gain then lose because if he copped a bagging he would have showed that he is big enough to take it and most of all listen to what the FANS had to say.

BradMackay

Juniors
Seems like Steve Price has been dead man walking since last year when we chased Bellamy. Bet he is being paid next to nothing and a pie and chin implant allowance and that is why we haven't flicked him yet.

Tough decision for Dousty with the coach job
Promote from within - Mary
Flavour of the month - Laurie Daley
Old School - Tim Sheens
Out of Favour - Daniel Anderson
Bellamy protege - Kevin Walters
Left Field - Robbie Deans
Madness - Resign Price for 2015

Cagey Mac

Bench
Seems like Steve Price has been dead man walking since last year when we chased Bellamy. Bet he is being paid next to nothing and a pie and chin implant allowance and that is why we haven't flicked him yet.

Tough decision for Dousty with the coach job
Promote from within - Mary
Flavour of the month - Laurie Daley
Old School - Tim Sheens
Out of Favour - Daniel Anderson
Bellamy protege - Kevin Walters
Left Field - Robbie Deans
Madness - Resign Price for 2015

Of that lot I'd be considering Walters or Daley

Lethal25

Juniors
Walters links to the Storm and Qld are very appealing.

Plus he seems likeable, affable etc. Unlike the current coach

Daly Cherry Evans spent an entire year in the Queensland Cup after graduating from Under 20's. I would hardly describe that as being thrown in "the deep end". Ben Barba is another who was brought in to first grade slowly and softly.
On the flipside, Albert Kelly was thrust in too early and has taken years to recover. The current Parra team is another example of what can go wrong - Stuart has thrown young players in left and right, and they're being hammered every single week. Players need to be developed.
Despite this, Price has still given first grade debuts to a stack of players. Stockwell, Cook, Runciman, Quinlan, Garvey, Drinkwater.
People want Quinlan in the halves. Mistake. He's a fullback right now. if a shift is on the cards he needs to learn the trade in NSW Cup.

That said, I want to him to give Seijka a start asap.

Yeah, point well taken.

I do not have access to watching any Juniors Play, and so I make bare assertions based on the (ahem) facts and opinions provided on this forum - and the Dragons Website.

But how did Nathan Greene get a gurnsey ahead of say Runciman?

To say that Steve Price HAS judiciously brought players through at the maximum rate they can handle ...and with consideration too to what the team's needs are - well, I don't know....

Besides, as I said, not to "throw them in" as a resident of a particular position, but as much game exposure (and rotation) to the extent that it develops confidence and not destroys it - as you rightly point out with Parra halves.

I interpret the adherence to our current halves pairing (and also when Jamie Soward was still here) as stubborn, and equates to neglecting the opportunity to give others more exposure.

Maybe Dragons do it already, but it would be interesting to anonymously survey our Juniors to measure their perception of opportunities made available to them under the current coaching regime (Paul McGregor included).

Maybe their opinion on that subject is worth about as much as when the (1st grade) players say Steve Price is a good Coach - for better or worse.

The more I think about the red V forum the more I think Price has just put the last nail in his coffin. He knew the forum would be bagging their performances on the field and knew they would bagging his selections. Even if Doust told him not to attend he should have still showed up told everyone that he stands by his decisions and most of all show some passion and fight for his job as surely he must know it is on the line. By facing the music and not letting his boss do all the hard work he would have proven a point to Doust that he really wants the role and is accountable for what is happening. He would have also made some stance to the supporters that he really wants the job long term and will fight to keep it. He would have also shown he takes on all responsibility for the teams performance and not only back himself but most of all his players. He chooses not to turn up. It became so clear why the performances are so bad having someone like that in charge. He does not take accoutability at all rather just go along for the ride and see what happens.

And someone questioned leadership in this post earlier. Well there is a good example of why we don't have good leadership within the team. It all starts from the coach. Ben Hornby was a goodd leader because he learned from his coach how to lead and be accountable for all his actions. Poor Ben hasn't got that as it proved on Monday night.

Seriously if people can honestly say Price did not have to show up and defend his actions and best of all him players on Monday night then they are wrong. That was the best time for him to stand up for himself and the players and show he is committed to making it work. He would have definately had more to gain then lose because if he copped a bagging he would have showed that he is big enough to take it and most of all listen to what the FANS had to say.

...look, I gotta say, it so doesn't sit well with me either that the head Coach does not attend the Forum. I first read the reasons given and thought, yeah ok...but....

I have served on many boards in my career, and if a CEO said to me - it's ok, we don't need you there, we'll speak on your behalf and answer any questions refering to your area of Management - there's no way ....NO WAY IN THE WORLD i would have agreed to it and would have fought tooth and nail to be there - even if I sat in the audience!!

dragondonar1

Juniors
I think the coach didn't and shouldn't be there. It would have made the forum a debacle. The person that has screwed our club is doust. From player retention to the coach appointed, he and the board have final say. I don't agree with most of what price has done but it was much harder for price to coach a side with all positions filled in the team. Due to doust not retaining juniors we now need to look else where. And that's a barren cupboard. Not many players out in the market that excite. But we should never have been in this position.
So doust should answer the members questions not price. We need a change of government.