What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RED V JERSEY

Crush

Coach
Ahhh that’s why I don’t recall it, it’s seems 1996 has been wiped from my memory.
I remember in 2010 when they were going through the list of St George’s lost grand finals and mention the 1996 loss to manly of which I have no memory what so ever.
Funny you say that, I too don't remember the 1996 loss.
I clearly remember the 1985, 1992, 1993, 1999 losses but not the 1996.
I put it down to being 20 years old and hitting the nightclubs pretty hard but now you have said it as well maybe it was just a forgetable year???

Gareth67

First Grade
To be fair we've had our current emblem since 1979 (long before the NRL) and won a premiership in it that year and of all the club badges going around I think we're one of the few (Souths being the other) who's still got a traditional non NRL-ified club badge. I'm very proud that we never went down the cartoony American-ised NFL style logo with a big Dragon on it that a lot of other teams did in the post Super League era (Canberra, Sharks, Roosters, Bulldogs, Tigers, Panthers and so on.) I'm liking that a few teams have reverted back to their old logos like the Eels but it baffles me why the Rosters haven't done so as they old logo is all over their training and supporter gear but not the jersey.

But I agree with you, our 11 in a row era logo is a thing of beauty! I'd love to see it on our a jersey again full time and a part of me thinks that if we stood alone that in 2021 we'd have it on there for 100 years of St.George but with the joint venture it'll sadly never happen, but it's been nice seeing it make its away back onto some of the merch :)

Saints of George , yes it certainly would be nice to have the old emblem / insignia back on the red & white . I have always recognised Illawarra shire's contribution to the Dragons over the many decades , as you have said - almost a century . It indeed would be tremendous to see it once again , with the addition of Illawarra .

Saints of George , yes it certainly would be nice to have the old emblem / insignia back on the red & white . I have always recognised Illawarra shire's contribution to the Dragons over the many decades , as you have said - almost a century . It indeed would be tremendous to see it once again , with the addition of Illawarra .

It'd be nice Gareth. I don't know how they'd ad or incorporate Illawarra into that old badge as it's just an emblem and hasn't got any names on it, but it's a nice idea and I'd love to see it, even if only for a one off game to celebrate St.George. The addition of the name Illawarra to the team name kind of derailed using just St.George as a emblem sadly.

I do hope they do something special for 100 years of St.George though. It seems to me that since the Bennett era they've acknowledged St.George's history as being part of this club. The premiership in 2010 was called St.George's 16th and 1st as St.George Illawarra and they said it broke the 31 year drought. In the change rooms they have the photos of all the premierships. All merch has est 1921 on it, a lot of merch also has the old St.George and Steelers logos and when remembering our history they focus on the old badge, such as with Langlands tribute recently the old badge was everywhere, where is years gone by they just had the current badge, everything had est 99 on it and zero premierships etc.

Using the old bade of a full time basis I think is a long shot but it'd be really great to see it at least once for the 100 years of St.George.

Makes me curious if they'll do a 20 years of St.George Illawarra next year? We've avoided all anniversary years so far so would be interesting to see if they do. If ever a re-brand was on the cards that'd be the opportunity.

I'd love to see St.George Bank (or whoever our sponsor is in 2021) remove all sponsorship for our match on Anzac Day and we run out in a full red V with old badge on it to celebrate 100 years of St.George 2 days after the 23rd April anniversary of the clubs birth.

It's been done before by Australian teams removing sponsorship for special anniversaries. Non more special than 100 years of the greatest Rugby League team of all.

Funny you say that, I too don't remember the 1996 loss.
I clearly remember the 1985, 1992, 1993, 1999 losses but not the 1996.
I put it down to being 20 years old and hitting the nightclubs pretty hard but now you have said it as well maybe it was just a forgetable year???

I remember the '96 season and the GF well. Watched the GF at Saints Leagues.. But the fact we even got there was in my opinion was one of the best achievements by a Saints side I've seen. Prompted me to start a thread on favourite seasons..

As for the Jersey - Red V Jersey all the way for me. It doesn't clash with anyone else's - and I always get superstitious when we run out in the alternate strip, bad omen for a loss etc. But that's just me..

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
I remember the '96 season and the GF well. Watched the GF at Saints Leagues.. But the fact we even got there was in my opinion was one of the best achievements by a Saints side I've seen. Prompted me to start a thread on favourite seasons..

As for the Jersey - Red V Jersey all the way for me. It doesn't clash with anyone else's - and I always get superstitious when we run out in the alternate strip, bad omen for a loss etc. But that's just me..
I agree! The 96 season was almost the perfect fairytale. To get as far as we did from where we started (no coach, no major sponsor, half team missing due to super league) was an absolute miracle! I went to every saints game that finals series and it was an amazing experience (except the GF of course). A lot of players from that 96 team rate it the closest squad they ever played in. Besides 2010 that was definitely one of my favourite seasons

I agree! The 96 season was almost the perfect fairytale. To get as far as we did from where we started (no coach, no major sponsor, half team missing due to super league) was an absolute miracle! I went to every saints game that finals series and it was an amazing experience (except the GF of course). A lot of players from that 96 team rate it the closest squad they ever played in. Besides 2010 that was definitely one of my favourite seasons
Agreed mate 100% - we were all heart and guts back then. Couldnt get the chocolates in the GF but cest la vie..