What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins recruitment targets

MugaB

Coach
Ive just got this picture of Clint back in the 1980’s, his then wife used to run through the old Betamax tapes of games with him.

Then I suppose they would enjoy Magnum PI and Alf.

We could use her at the Tigers!

Its time for a coaching loan scheme. Put the failing Benny on the market and bring in a top 4 coach. Sunglasses and a Tesla.

Someone who’s moved on from typewriters and landlines.
Definitely use her at the tigers.. #harveywiensteinruniedit4everyone

MugaB

Coach
Ive just got this picture of Clint back in the 1980’s, his then wife used to run through the old Betamax tapes of games with him.

Then I suppose they would enjoy Magnum PI and Alf.

We could use her at the Tigers!

Its time for a coaching loan scheme. Put the failing Benny on the market and bring in a top 4 coach. Sunglasses and a Tesla.

Someone who’s moved on from typewriters and landlines.
What say about, dolphins offering to take on some long contracts off other clubs who need the cap space, Moses Mbop, and Ben Hunt could be a good duo, thats if the dragons are looking at bringing those juniors thru, hell they'll have the money to do it, and those two are Qlders

What say about, dolphins offering to take on some long contracts off other clubs who need the cap space, Moses Mbop, and Ben Hunt could be a good duo, thats if the dragons are looking at bringing those juniors thru, hell they'll have the money to do it, and those two are Qlders

Good idea.

Over at the Tigers, we favour any player with a pulse.

Clint loves his reincarnations.

See if Inglis is fit or go the exceptional esl pommy route. Pretend to have picked up a player from Featherstone Rovers Railway Sidings and label him the next Sam Burgess. Good PR. No one will know any better.

Pay a voice artist to pretend to be an English coach whisperer and ring up radio stations talking about the next Adrian Morley the Dolphins have just signed.

Won the super league fourth division grand final playing with a broken leg in three places all that crap.

Get a massive fit looking pom in action in training in the uk. Somewhere snowy so the vision is blurred as evidence. A wig just to be sure.

Then at the end of next year, announce hes not coming because he’s off to Vladivostok for family reasons.

Last edited:
Actually no need to find a pom and snowy scene, you could just recreate the photo in a studio like the moon landing etc lol.

Just put Bovril ads and a fuzzy picture of seibs in the background in snow gear looking on for authenticity.

It’s about winning hearts and minds now. Deflect form this dogs breakfast of recruitment.

My German Shepard could have barked into a phone to an player agent and got better results.

$1.9 for Ponga he must be must be signed at any cost.

MugaB

Coach
Actually no need to find a pom and snowy scene, you could just recreate the photo in a studio like the moon landing etc lol.

Just put Bovril ads and a fuzzy picture of seibs in the background in snow gear looking on for authenticity.

It’s about winning hearts and minds now. Deflect form this dogs breakfast of recruitment.

My German Shepard could have barked into a phone to an player agent and got better results.

$1.9 for Ponga he must be must be signed at any cost.
Ponga the All black? might be another way "little wayne" can fk with Newcastle again

videotogif_2018.04.09_08.31.17.gif
Thats guys, ill see myself out!!!

blaza88z

Coach
I reckon they'd have that Taumololo deal all over again in hindsight, he's been nowhere near as effective in a team without a decent half and probably played a role in them not being able to keep one of the players previously mentioned in this thread

Val Holmes' contract is another one that they'd like to have over

They've mirrored the Brisbane Broncos in who to keep and who to let go, I think the difference is that we've never had trouble bringing them through. Even though we lost Walsh and let Sam Walker slip, there's a few who are potentially just as good in Selwyn Cobbo and Ezra Mam. Not sure the Cows have that luxury so it hurts a lot more when they lose a few good ones.

I reckon they'd have that Taumololo deal all over again in hindsight, he's been nowhere near as effective in a team without a decent half and probably played a role in them not being able to keep one of the players previously mentioned in this thread

Val Holmes' contract is another one that they'd like to have over

They've mirrored the Brisbane Broncos in who to keep and who to let go, I think the difference is that we've never had trouble bringing them through. Even though we lost Walsh and let Sam Walker slip, there's a few who are potentially just as good in Selwyn Cobbo and Ezra Mam. Not sure the Cows have that luxury so it hurts a lot more when they lose a few good ones.
If Payten has any brains he'll think outside the box and offload Holmes, Taumalolo and Townsend to Redcliffe. The money saved can be used to lure Munster and Ponga to the club and retain Nanai, Murray, Tabuai-Fidow on 3 year contracts.

Redcliffe are desperate for talent and Cowboys need to invest in youth. This deal gives Townsend a year to help Dearden find his feet. I think young Dearden can be a good ball running five-eighth in time like Terry Lamb, although he can play halfback too.

If Payten has any brains he'll think outside the box and offload Holmes, Taumalolo and Townsend to Redcliffe. The money saved can be used to lure Munster and Ponga to the club and retain Nanai, Murray, Tabuai-Fidow on 3 year contracts.

Redcliffe are desperate for talent and Cowboys need to invest in youth. This deal gives Townsend a year to help Dearden find his feet. I think young Dearden can be a good ball running five-eighth in time like Terry Lamb, although he can play halfback too.

Most students of the game, we’ve spent upteen number of nights in a cold sweat concerned about the progress of Dearden. How to bring his game forward, how to manifest his optimum is a question akin to the meaning of life.

Terry Lamb was an absolute superstar, dominant ball playing half, he loved the line and would run headlong into a pack with gay abandon. He had a pass on him that would bring tears to the eyes to all but say a Peter Sterling, Craig Gower or a Cody Walker.

One could spend the entire pre season in a dark room, pondering the assets and team attributes required to liberate the sleeping giant of Dearden and be no closer to nirvana by February 2050

But to preserve the universal balance of league chaos, I agree that radical change is needed to step him up. Something, somewhere has to give to bring his best out. He’s still a baby though, time is on his side.

In all fairness, he is still recovering from rugby league ptsd occasioned from his bronco days. Our Tigers players who are departing , before release, 2 weeks in intensive psycho therapy before we let them loose.

Under hypnotherapy bringing back bad memories and then wiping them. It’s in our player contracts. A day of the player thinking he is a living goalpost often helps this process.

A sight to see them, eyes wide shut, bending to try to ensure that Cleary misses a penalty goal in their enfeebled post Madge minds.

Last edited:

blaza88z

Coach
The Broncs used to be a massive powerhouse, always really strong. Now the problems appear systemic.

Every club that has had to deal with life after Wayne has struggled, I can't think of one that even held their current position on the ladder after his departure, they all went backwards and a long way backwards. When you think about it, all of the clubs he left.. they haven't been a factor since.

I reckon Wayne not only coaches the team but also does a lot of what other people are employed to do and when he leaves, if there is someone in the organisation who isn't up to scratch, the club gets found out. I know for us, we basically had to clean house, from CEO all the way down to the football department as none of them were doing their job. Wayne makes everything run smoothly, when he leaves, the cracks appear.

You'd be nervous as a Dolphins fan knowing this bloke probably only has the length of his current deal left in him. You'd be even more nervous if they can't get a big name signing soon.

Every club that has had to deal with life after Wayne has struggled, I can't think of one that even held their current position on the ladder after his departure, they all went backwards and a long way backwards. When you think about it, all of the clubs he left.. they haven't been a factor since.

I reckon Wayne not only coaches the team but also does a lot of what other people are employed to do and when he leaves, if there is someone in the organisation who isn't up to scratch, the club gets found out. I know for us, we basically had to clean house, from CEO all the way down to the football department as none of them were doing their job. Wayne makes everything run smoothly, when he leaves, the cracks appear.

You'd be nervous as a Dolphins fan knowing this bloke probably only has the length of his current deal left in him. You'd be even more nervous if they can't get a big name signing soon.

I enjoyed that assessment, thanks.

He’s the Brisbane prodigal son, left and spurned, perhaps his footprints remain all over the place.

He hasn’t let any wounds heal that’s for sure. He seems to be up for anything anti bronco these days.

It’s a bit of a “my way” feel about it. If what you say is true, then he hasn’t necessarily left clubs in better shape than he found them.

I remember he pulled out of the roosters job because it was leaked. Very strange decision. He worked out he couldn’t trust his then suitors.

Strong enough to upset his family for a pretty lady. He is intriguing, for sure.

FADEE8F9-6991-43F8-B07D-92214960FD65.jpeg

All that said, people have commented on his penchant for cash. But he’d have more than enough, so the task is to inspire others.

Which at this point in time, he seems to be struggling. It’s not hopeless, but the grand marquee are not arriving as expected.

With Johns and the yobs back at the knights, Ponga would be under massive peer and blokey pressure to stay.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
big part of the problem is what do Dolphins offer that other clubs can’t? They’re either going to have to pay way overs which will hurt them in the future or they are only going to pick up players not wanted. They simply aren’t a particularly attractive draw card it would seem.

Ponga is probably the last big name available and in reality they needed two big names, 4-5 decent names, 5-10 experienced pros and the rest qrl best hopes. I’m amazed they didnt go with Hodgson to try and build a british contingent of players Around him.

MugaB

Coach
big part of the problem is what do Dolphins offer that other clubs can’t? They’re either going to have to pay way overs which will hurt them in the future or they are only going to pick up players not wanted. They simply aren’t a particularly attractive draw card it would seem.

Ponga is probably the last big name available and in reality they needed two big names, 4-5 decent names, 5-10 experienced pros and the rest qrl best hopes. I’m amazed they didnt go with Hodgson to try and build a british contingent of players Around him.
Although all true, Wayne's still got a full season to pick the eyes out of the rest of the clubs, that's not hard to do considering the amount of drama that goes on within the player market, the fact that they've already picked up the two guys they did, seems like they are pretty honed in on the type of player they want, gotta remember when wayne started at the Bronx, he had the BRL to pick the eyes off, and did an amazing job since the bulk of Brisbane's premierships are due to his roster management... to sum up in Wayne we should trust... he is a lot more wiser and wiley that he was back in the 90s

blaza88z

Coach
I enjoyed that assessment, thanks.

He’s the Brisbane prodigal son, left and spurned, perhaps his footprints remain all over the place.

He hasn’t let any wounds heal that’s for sure. He seems to be up for anything anti bronco these days.

It’s a bit of a “my way” feel about it. If what you say is true, then he hasn’t necessarily left clubs in better shape than he found them.

I remember he pulled out of the roosters job because it was leaked. Very strange decision. He worked out he couldn’t trust his then suitors.

Strong enough to upset his family for a pretty lady. He is intriguing, for sure.

View attachment 56558

All that said, people have commented on his penchant for cash. But he’d have more than enough, so the task is to inspire others.

Which at this point in time, he seems to be struggling. It’s not hopeless, but the grand marquee are not arriving as expected.

With Johns and the yobs back at the knights, Ponga would be under massive peer and blokey pressure to stay.

I reckon he was hoping deep down half the Broncos list were off contract coming into 2023, I think there are about 2 of them that aren't on contract and I would be happy if they both went to Redcliffe.

Signing Patty Carrigan would've been a significant play but he opted to stay with the Broncos.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whilst there is plenty of time yet the reality is people are largely now signed up so they will be banking on someone falling out of favour, a club getting cap trouble and having to offload or subtle enticement to ask for a release.
pickings are getting slim if they want to be a force from year 1

Whilst there is plenty of time yet the reality is people are largely now signed up so they will be banking on someone falling out of favour, a club getting cap trouble and having to offload or subtle enticement to ask for a release.

A bit of extra cash is always enough for some players to get upset with their current deal and the woeful excuse making commences. Family Reasons is my favourite player agent rort.

It’s just seems that clints appointment seems to have been an impediment to signings at this early stage. 6 % of their roster after 3 or 4 months. At this rate, we won’t be able to field a side.

Where’s the soo? What happened to Cody Walker?

Not even Corey bloody Allan is returning calls!

Puhlease explain?

MugaB

Coach
Always thinking negative, wayne got a team into GF this year, who got drummed up 50blot by panthers and storm, no team gets that close after getting shitcanned like that, the ol codger knows the kind of blokes he wants at the club, and im telling you now it wont be "marquee" toffs like ponga, although they are looking to get him its mainly for poster boy reasons, wayne would probably look at guys like dylan edwards or correy allen, hell he turned justin hodges into a fullback, and look at latrell mitchell, both these guys were barnstorming centres, who could have played there in that position their whole career

Always thinking negative, wayne got a team into GF this year, who got drummed up 50blot by panthers and storm, no team gets that close after getting shitcanned like that, the ol codger knows the kind of blokes he wants at the club, and im telling you now it wont be "marquee" toffs like ponga, although they are looking to get him its mainly for poster boy reasons, wayne would probably look at guys like dylan edwards or correy allen, hell he turned justin hodges into a fullback, and look at latrell mitchell, both these guys were barnstorming centres, who could have played there in that position their whole career

The chances of two forumers channeling Corey Allan within a minute of each other seems to indicate some kind of spiritual hex on the Dolphins. Something otherworldly and paranormal my friend.

Now we hear the rumours of another nz side. Good grief! They could up with a sharks reserve side side!

Last edited: