What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins recruitment targets

Always thinking negative, wayne got a team into GF this year, who got drummed up 50blot by panthers and storm, no team gets that close after getting shitcanned like that, the ol codger knows the kind of blokes he wants at the club, and im telling you now it wont be "marquee" toffs like ponga, although they are looking to get him its mainly for poster boy reasons, wayne would probably look at guys like dylan edwards or correy allen, hell he turned justin hodges into a fullback, and look at latrell mitchell, both these guys were barnstorming centres, who could have played there in that position their whole career
Didn't Justin Hodges play fullback in 2001 when he was demoted to the Toowoomba Clydesdales for signing with The Turkeys?

blaza88z

Coach
Geez don't like to play it up as if it would be a major coup, he plays centre not fullback (major difference there).

After signing Brenko Lee, the emergence of Selwyn Cobbo, Kotoni Staggs will be back this season too.. suddenly there's a bit of depth there.

Also in that article he mentions Redcliffe chasing Cobbo, well he's under contract until the end of 2023, so that's a nice little fantasy land they are living in. Isaako is on 500k and is one of the most hit or miss fullbacks going around, probably a better winger than he is fullback, they can have him.

ALX25

Bench
Still no Moreton Bay juniors signed. Times ticking to get the better ones back from the Broncos and Co.

blaza88z

Coach
What’s your source for that Blazer buddy?

Just the fact of who we have coming through and also the fact he got relegated to the wing after Kevvie gave him every conceivable chance to make the fullback his own.

As a neutral you probably won't be aware of how unreliable this guy can be, he can pull off the highlight reel tries, he's got some great footwork, he's also got a great drop in him, also has minimal game awareness. The Dragons game, he plays for a 20m tap with only seconds to go before half-time, I think they end up tapping it back and scoring. The Cowboys game (the first one), drops it cold on a kick reception, Cows go on to the win the game after struggling to get back into the game.

It's believed he's on 500k with us, that's fullback money and if he can't play fullback, why would they offer him a new deal? Tesi Niu did a far better job than he did when given his opportunities and also Selwyn Cobbo is the next big thing once he develops a little more. Isaako has been with the club since 2017 and has been given multiple opportunity to show the club he's their man, he hasn't even been able to consistently be that man, only glimpses here and there. Usually an error followed by some individual brilliance, it's been like that for as long as I can remember, even when Bennett was here and gave him an opportunity.

No active Brisbane fan will be shocked by this.

Just the fact of who we have coming through and also the fact he got relegated to the wing after Kevvie gave him every conceivable chance to make the fullback his own.

As a neutral you probably won't be aware of how unreliable this guy can be, he can pull off the highlight reel tries, he's got some great footwork, he's also got a great drop in him, also has minimal game awareness. The Dragons game, he plays for a 20m tap with only seconds to go before half-time, I think they end up tapping it back and scoring. The Cowboys game (the first one), drops it cold on a kick reception, Cows go on to the win the game after struggling to get back into the game.

It's believed he's on 500k with us, that's fullback money and if he can't play fullback, why would they offer him a new deal? Tesi Niu did a far better job than he did when given his opportunities and also Selwyn Cobbo is the next big thing once he develops a little more. Isaako has been with the club since 2017 and has been given multiple opportunity to show the club he's their man, he hasn't even been able to consistently be that man, only glimpses here and there. Usually an error followed by some individual brilliance, it's been like that for as long as I can remember, even when Bennett was here and gave him an opportunity.

No active Brisbane fan will be shocked by this.
Yeah he was rumoured to be a sus fullback. But thanks for that insight.

Dane Laurie is a lot of fun in attack, but defending on or near the line on his own is nothing short of catastrophic.

So our d has be fiddled with to cater for this. Its a big problem that no one has really spoken about in polite company.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can a 31 year old blake Austin hack it back in the nrl?

The Dolphins inability to recruit players in key positions out of the NRL is reportedly forcing them to look in a very new direction.

The latest target on inaugural coach Wayne Bennett's radar is set to be former NRL star Blake Austin.

The Dolphins have chased plenty of targets since their November 1 opening to negotiations, but have so far only managed to sign Melbourne Storm second-rower Felise Kaufusi, Parramatta Eels workhorse Ray Stone, Brisbane Broncos outside back Jamayne Isaako and little-known rugby union talent Valynce Te Whare, as well as a pair of development players.

Wide World of Sports are reporting that the Dolphins will now go after Austin as an experienced player to run their halves.

Halves are one position the Dolphins haven't been heavily linked to thus far, although they were rumoured to be interested in Cody Walker before he re-signed with the South Sydney Rabbitohs for the 2023 season.

Austin has now turned 30, but is a player who Wayne Bennett could get the best out of.

A former Penrith Panther, Wests Tiger and Canberra Raider, Austin played his best football in the NRL during his time in lime green before switching to the English Super League.

He has since become a mainstay at the Warrington Wolves, playing 57 games and scoring 29 tries during his three seasons with the club. The former Great Britain representative will join the Leeds Rhinos in 2022 on a one-year deal, meaning he is free to negotiate a new deal - and potential return to the NRL - in 2023.

Bennett has past history with Austin as coach of Great Britain when the 30-year-old half was selected for the nation.

Can a 31 year old blake Austin hack it back in the nrl?

The Dolphins inability to recruit players in key positions out of the NRL is reportedly forcing them to look in a very new direction.

The latest target on inaugural coach Wayne Bennett's radar is set to be former NRL star Blake Austin.

The Dolphins have chased plenty of targets since their November 1 opening to negotiations, but have so far only managed to sign Melbourne Storm second-rower Felise Kaufusi, Parramatta Eels workhorse Ray Stone, Brisbane Broncos outside back Jamayne Isaako and little-known rugby union talent Valynce Te Whare, as well as a pair of development players.

Wide World of Sports are reporting that the Dolphins will now go after Austin as an experienced player to run their halves.

Halves are one position the Dolphins haven't been heavily linked to thus far, although they were rumoured to be interested in Cody Walker before he re-signed with the South Sydney Rabbitohs for the 2023 season.

Austin has now turned 30, but is a player who Wayne Bennett could get the best out of.

A former Penrith Panther, Wests Tiger and Canberra Raider, Austin played his best football in the NRL during his time in lime green before switching to the English Super League.

He has since become a mainstay at the Warrington Wolves, playing 57 games and scoring 29 tries during his three seasons with the club. The former Great Britain representative will join the Leeds Rhinos in 2022 on a one-year deal, meaning he is free to negotiate a new deal - and potential return to the NRL - in 2023.

Bennett has past history with Austin as coach of Great Britain when the 30-year-old half was selected for the nation.

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

I blame the NRL, who didn’t provide enough lead time -and the club got caught in the shutting window of the contractual no-mans land.

The club should also have had a good look at the recruitment talent at other clubs and spent some cash luring over the likes of the Panther or even doggies people, who are in massive form at the moment.

Clint grumbling in the corner at the club trying to work out how to use an iPhone isn’t cutting it.

I’m not sure how memberships are going, but I imagine the spin is in full swing. News Ltd can parachute in and buy 10,000 memberships in the name of Botswanians.

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

I blame the NRL, who didn’t provide enough lead time -and the club got caught in the shutting window of the contractual no-mans land.

The club should also have had a good look at the recruitment talent at other clubs and spent some cash luring over the likes of the Panther or even doggies people, who are in massive form at the moment.

Clint grumbling in the corner at the club trying to work out how to use an iPhone isn’t cutting it.

I’m not sure how memberships are going, but I imagine the spin is in full swing. News Ltd can parachute in and buy 10,000 memberships in the name of Botswanians.
Foundation Memberships go on sale in March.

Foundation Memberships go on sale in March.

That’s a good thing you are signing up.

I’ll have some kind of interest in it. Animal membership or something like that.

But I’m thinking of posting an unboxing of my tigers membership here on lu first. I will do a few joke contents for the panel.

I don’t want to see Redcliffe go the way of the Bears, Newtown, the Crushers, Mariners, Reds, Rams etc. We almost expect a double cross these days.

The Coast are still struggling, in and out of the top comp. .

The 1990s and early 2000s killed a lot of grassroots interests.

It’s also time for the nrl to give a bit more. They made $80 million profit last year. They should be distributing it back to the fans. Subsidise the Redcliffe gate for the first year, slash food prices, free stickers etc, give always, and spoil us fans.

That’s a good thing you are signing up.

I’ll have some kind of interest in it. Animal membership or something like that.

But I’m thinking of posting an unboxing of my tigers membership here on lu first. I will do a few joke contents for the panel.

I don’t want to see Redcliffe go the way of the Bears, Newtown, the Crushers, Mariners, Reds, Rams etc. We almost expect a double cross these days.

The Coast are still struggling, in and out of the top comp. .

The 1990s and early 2000s killed a lot of grassroots interests.

It’s also time for the nrl to give a bit more. They made $80 million profit last year. They should be distributing it back to the fans. Subsidise the Redcliffe gate for the first year, slash food prices, free stickers etc, give always, and spoil us fans.
The NRL needs The Dolphins to be successful. A smart move would be for the NRL to spend the next 12 months going into schools all over Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast to hype up The Dolphins so there's plenty of support for Round 1 2023.

Get some legends and celebs in to speak to the kids about the good stuff.

Make it as inclusive as possible.
Former Origin players who've played for Redcliffe should be brought in to talk to students. Show them a highlights reel of their career and have them run a clinic and autograph session with the kids, and focus on The Dolphins being a local club that has fielded teams in U7s to Opens since 1947, making them the only Queensland NRL of their kind.

Latest posts