What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins recruitment targets

treadstone

Juniors
Some great signings for us next year.

I know Farnworth is a great centre but no doubt could be a good option at full back if the other blokes don't perform. He's silky with great hands and quick feet. Does love to step inside a lot tho and haven't seen much ball playing, but haven't seen much from hammer either tbh.

Puff

First Grade

We need a centre and half I reckon, on top of what we have coming next year. Here is what's available.

Throw some coin at Mam to partner Katoa? That a half combo to last 10 years

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee

We need a centre and half I reckon, on top of what we have coming next year. Here is what's available.

Throw some coin at Mam to partner Katoa? That a half combo to last 10 years
Dearden, Wighton, Luai and Mam are the stand-outs at this stage.

In regards to Mam, if the Broncos don't re-sign him before November 1st, the Dolphins should have a better gauge of where he's at in his career. He's been a revelation for the Broncos but they've kept his role limited with Reynolds doing all the hard work. I'd have to see more before I start offering him a blank cheque to lure him out of Red Hill.

Otherwise by 2025, it could be a case of the blind leading the blind, it's not like it's going to be Foran/Cherry-Evans or Luai/Cleary who came through the grades together.

I have a big rap on Dearden and was disappointed things didn't work out for him at Red Hill. I wasn't shocked at all to see him come out the otherside in Townsville and of all the players he seems to have the attributes the Dolphins are looking for. Good luck getting him out of Townsville, but I'd certainly have a chat to him to see if he wants to come back to the south-east.

Puff

First Grade
I really like the look of Katoa.

I think he will develop in to a good game manager.

He sticks to a game plan, and runs the forwards around well.
Out of those you mentioned, Id be in on Mam or Wighton. However, wighton in more a shorter term, I like Mam under the likes of bennett, he will be developed nicely

Big Pete

Referee
I really like the look of Katoa.

I think he will develop in to a good game manager.

He sticks to a game plan, and runs the forwards around well.
Out of those you mentioned, Id be in on Mam or Wighton. However, wighton in more a shorter term, I like Mam under the likes of bennett, he will be developed nicely
Unless Bennett decides to stick around, he won't be in charge come 2025.

Katoa is a great prospect, but he's going to have his share of ups and downs. You'd want his halves partner to be able to hold their own.

Puff

First Grade
Unless Bennett decides to stick around, he won't be in charge come 2025.

Katoa is a great prospect, but he's going to have his share of ups and downs. You'd want his halves partner to be able to hold their own.
Fair point.

Maybe wighton is the go then.

I wonder what they will do, around signings for next year

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Fair point.

Maybe wighton is the go then.

I wonder what they will do, around signings for next year

So let's review

Confirmed for 2024
Anthony Milford, Brenko Lee, Connelly Lemuelu, Edrick Lee, Euan Aitken, Felise Kaufusi, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, Isaiya Katoa, Herbie Farnworth, Jack Bostock, Jamayne Isaako, Jarrod Wallace, Jeremy Marshall-King, Jesse Bromwich, Kenny Bromwich, Kodi Nikorima, Mark Nicholls, Mason Teague, Max Plath, Ray Stone, Robert Jennings, Sean O'Sullivan, Tom Flegler, Tom Gilbert, Valynce Te Whare

That's 25 players currently. Both Herbie and Flegler will address issues in the team, but another centre wouldn't go astray.

The priorty right now should be looking to extend the Hammer before he can sign with somebody else. After that it'll be trying to induce a 2025 player off contract early or picking up a value signing on the free market to bolster the stocks.

Signings for 2025 will be interesting. Right now the only confirmed pieces are
Connelly Lemuelu, Felise Kaufusi, Isaiya Katoa, Herbie Farnworth, Jack Bostock, Jamayne Isaako, Jeremy Marshall-King, Kenny Bromwich, Max Plath, Sean O'Sullivan, Tom Flegler, Tom Gilbert

Or team-list wise:

2. Jamayne Isaako
3. Herbie Farnworth
6. Isaiya Katoa
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Tom Flegler
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Tom Gilbert

Max Plath, Connelly Lemuelu, Jack Bostock, Harrison Graham (development), Michael Waqa (development)

So centre, halves and prop would be the positions I'd be looking at specifically.

Keep in mind, the biggest strength the Dolphins have is the pathways. If they can get players like Michael Waqa to become NRL players they'll be fine.

Last edited:

League guru

Juniors
Interesting reading some of the recruitment targets being suggested.
Remember all those so called marquee signings that Wayne missed out on. Ponga, B. Smith are 2 that come to mind that would have been more trouble then they are worth.
The success of the Dolphins so far has been based around gritty journeymen having a dig. In current form If Hammer, Marshall-King, Katoa or Gilbert were off contract at seasons end would they be presued by other clubs as marquee signings. The Dolphins need to stick to their current plan of signing solid citizens looking for opportunity who are willing to have a dig not inflated egos demanding inflated salaries.
Is a marquee signing a player who has a dig or just collects a large pay packet. Parramatta, Cowboys, Tigers, Newcastle, to name a few have a lot of marquee signings, but not much success.

Puff

First Grade
Interesting reading some of the recruitment targets being suggested.
Remember all those so called marquee signings that Wayne missed out on. Ponga, B. Smith are 2 that come to mind that would have been more trouble then they are worth.
The success of the Dolphins so far has been based around gritty journeymen having a dig. In current form If Hammer, Marshall-King, Katoa or Gilbert were off contract at seasons end would they be presued by other clubs as marquee signings. The Dolphins need to stick to their current plan of signing solid citizens looking for opportunity who are willing to have a dig not inflated egos demanding inflated salaries.
Is a marquee signing a player who has a dig or just collects a large pay packet. Parramatta, Cowboys, Tigers, Newcastle, to name a few have a lot of marquee signings, but not much success.
Thats the key, if everyone knew the answer to this, they would all be Wayne Bennetts.

I still think a marquee signing, of the right nature, signals intent. It says we are here to compete. Attracting other who want to play with said marquee can be beneficial. But as you said it can be hit or miss. However, with Wayne there I think a hit is more likely, and I trust him.

On the development of Katoa, even though Waynes contract ends, I am told he stays on at the Dolphins in a development/pathways role. So I would suggest he may still have an eye on the youngster.

Puff

First Grade
1. Hammer (resign)
2. Jamayne Isaako
3. Herbie Farnworth
4. Moses Suli
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. Isaiya Katoa
8. Tom Flegler
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Jesse Bromwich (resign)
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Tom Gilbert

14. Herman Ese'ese / Mark Nicholls (1 x resign)
15. Ray Stone
16. Connelly Lemuelu
17. Keaon Koloamatangi
18. Sean O'Sullivan
19. Valynce Te Whare

Shits and giggles, not sure if these guys have resigned with their clubs

Puff

First Grade
Jack Wighton wasnt the best today.

Interchange him with Mam if you're unsure on that team

Big Pete

Referee
I forgot about Jack Bostock. By 2025 he should fill in one of those centre/outside back options.

Nicholls and Jesse have been stand-outs but by 2025 they'll be 35 and 36 respectively. Realistically, they'll be retired and the Dolphins will need to fill their spots. They'll also need to be on the hunt for players to fill Kaufusi and Kenny Bromwich's spot by 2026 so they would want to make a head-start there.

The best signing the Dolphins made was Peter O'Sullivan. He's been the best scout going on 20 years now and I'd expect him to not only sign some of the best talent in the south-east but to bring in some of the best up and coming talent from NSW.

That would be the type of signing I'd be looking at. The U/23 who has a dig but for whatever reason hasn't had an opportunity to make a mark in the NRL.

MugaB

Coach
I forgot about Jack Bostock. By 2025 he should fill in one of those centre/outside back options.

Nicholls and Jesse have been stand-outs but by 2025 they'll be 35 and 36 respectively. Realistically, they'll be retired and the Dolphins will need to fill their spots. They'll also need to be on the hunt for players to fill Kaufusi and Kenny Bromwich's spot by 2026 so they would want to make a head-start there.

The best signing the Dolphins made was Peter O'Sullivan. He's been the best scout going on 20 years now and I'd expect him to not only sign some of the best talent in the south-east but to bring in some of the best up and coming talent from NSW.

That would be the type of signing I'd be looking at. The U/23 who has a dig but for whatever reason hasn't had an opportunity to make a mark in the NRL.
His son, is the buy of the year too... not many competent halfbacks, and being under cleary he has become a steady foil for Katoa

Puff

First Grade
Yeah I agree with Peter. Having him recruiting is a major part of our great start.

on succession planning Pete I agree as well. I would like the old heads keep for another year. With a young prop sign, hence kolomatangi. He is young and so is flegler.

Big Pete

Referee
Keaon is a great player and by 2025 he might be ready to pull a Papalii and move to the middle. The only problem is that he won't come cheap, he's knocking on the door for Origin so if the Dolphins sign him, they'll need to clear some salary in the forwards.

If he does sign, I'd expect him on a starting edge with either Bromwich or Kaufusi coming off the bench in that loose forward role. That way your interchange would be the young rookie (let's say Ryan Jackson or Michael Waqa) with Kaufusi.