What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins recruitment targets

Sime_11

Juniors
a 37 year old Maloney would still be competitive, moreso than your Flanagans, Brooks, Pearce & Taylors... just stick 2 elite defenders either side of him, bit of Wayne magic - its not the worst idea tbf...

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Wouldn't be surprised if they sign up Ash Taylor and Kodi Nikorima from us (Warriors)
Pretty sure both have said they want to remain in QLD, both have history with Bennett.

I'm more sure that Kodi will go there, Taylor I'm guessing will need to prove he is still upto NRL standards after signing a trial and train contract for next season

Smug Panther

First Grade
mate cooper Cronk was 34 when he won the 2018 GF.

cam smith was a thousand when he retired last year playing hooker - arguably a much more physically demanding position.

he wouldn’t be world class but his skill set and attitude are unmatched. If he thinks he could do 12 months with plenty of time to prep then great. Otherwise coaching gig for sure
He's been washed up for years, his time at Penrith was pretty awful

10$ Ferret

Staff member
didn't Waynker say Jayden Nikorima was too good not to be playing first grade ....
Did I see Darius on the TV saying he was ready to go ?
Maybe he will sign milford, curtis scott and sam burgess, just to boost team morals and integrity

GongPanther

Referee
Liam Martin under contract until end of 2023.
Got a feeling about Marto is he will be around for quite a while., although I suppose it's a matter of the kind of money thrown at him and whether money is the be all and end all. I think his family have a farm down the Emerald Coast, so he does have life and income stability after football.

Wouldn't be surprised if they sign up Ash Taylor and Kodi Nikorima from us (Warriors)
Pretty sure both have said they want to remain in QLD, both have history with Bennett.

I'm more sure that Kodi will go there, Taylor I'm guessing will need to prove he is still upto NRL standards after signing a trial and train contract for next season
That's an Amazing fall from Grace for Taylor -from a 1 mill a year player to having to basically sing for his supper in signing a $1k a week trial and train contract with the Warriors- Milford as well if allowed to play that is next year.

A bit of a warning to clubs splashing out the big dough on players as it often backfires- not the bang for the bucks they expected.

Perth Red

Post Whore
PONGA’S BIG DOLPHINS OPPORTUNITY

Ever since the Dolphins were rubber-stamped as the NRL’s 17th team, the big question has been who will be their marquee signing?

News Corp journalist Phil Rothfield believes the club, led by veteran coach Wayne Bennett, have picked Knights superstar Kalyn Ponga as their big-fish signing.

The 23-year-old is signed until the end of 2022 and then has an option in his favour for 2023 and 2024.

Rothfield told Sky Sports Radio’s Big Sports Breakfastthat the Dolphins are considering offering Ponga a “ridiculous” salary to try and lure him to the club.

“I still think they’ll go harder for Kalyn Ponga more than any other player,” he said.

“I’ve heard ridiculous money, I’ve heard about $1.4 million a year, which would make him clearly the highest-paid player in the game. He’s ex-Queensland, (he) originally started at the Cowboys.”

However, the Dolphins’ chase won’t be as simple as throwing a lot of money at Ponga.

It was reported earlier this year by Fox League’s James Hooper that Newcastle have to win the premiership in order for Ponga to be allowed to activate those clauses.

The Knights will need to improve dramatically to challenge for the premiership next season otherwise it will take some serious negotiating to get the Dolphins deal over the line.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With just days remaining until the November 1 contract deadline sparks what is expected to be a seismic degree of player movement, and despite the rosters of all 17 NRL clubs being ripe for adjustment; there's a strong sense of league-wide anticipation centering on one club. A club that- barring the odd pre-season trial- is yet to kick a ball in Australia's premier rugby league competition.

The question on many a league focused mind- "Who will the Dolphins get?"
Answers remain tantalisingly out of reach. Terry Reader, mastermind of the Dolphins NRL bid and incoming chief, Dolphins group CEO Tony Murphy, and Chairman Bob Jones have been understandably reluctant to share specifics on player targets; leaving it to media speculation and the odd cryptic nugget from within the NRL itself.

As Dolphin number 425, and the current General Manager of football operations for the Redcliffe RLFC; Grant Cleal knows a thing or two about how the club thinks, and what makes it click.
'Crusher,' as he's known on the Redcliffe peninsula, joined the Dolphins in 1989. The surname/nickname combination is no doubt a familiar one to rugby league diehards; and it's fairly earned. Cleal is a premiership winning captain with the club, a long serving and shrewd administrator, and in recent years has seen his son Tyson make a devastating impact at state league level. The former front rower has been an often unheralded force near the front and centre of the Redcliffe Dolphins, throughout a proud ascent to the top of the Queensland Cup.

That ride began in 1996, and has culminated in Redcliffe assuming the mantle as the state competition's most successful club. The excitement surrounding the next chapter- a leap to NRL level- is still being keenly felt by 'Crusher' and his cohorts at Dolphins HQ.
"If you're not excited around the place at the moment, you probably haven't got a pulse," Cleal tells ESPN.

"Our (state league) players aren't around at the moment, they're all on off season, but we'll gauge their excitement about what's ahead when they get back. But for everyone else- sponsors, members, supporters, staff- it's an amazing time."

Cleal is in a good place to make an assessment on playing stocks and what makes the ideal recruit, as those piloting the journey to the NRL sharpen their pencils, with the November 1 player free-for-all looming ever larger.

"I need to make it clear that I'm involved with the ISC (QLD Cup) team," he explains to ESPN.

"I've not played the part of guys like Terry Reader, Bob Jones and Tony Murphy in this NRL bid process."
Despite his insistence that the NRL teams hit list is largely out of his hands, Cleal is clearly excited about the prospect of providing a bonafide one club pathway for elite talent in South East Queensland.

"Kids from as young as six start out with that dream of playing in the NRL," he explains. "The difference now is, you can start as a 6-year-old and get all the way to NRL level without getting out of a Dolphins jersey. No other club can offer that. We cater for all levels of rugby league."

While a lot of the focus will be on acquiring established stars, Cleal readily nominates a few of the Redcliffe Dolphins current state league (Intrust Super Cup) playing stocks as potential candidates for NRL contracts.

"We're like a lot of other teams, in that we've got a smattering of players that could make that leap to the top level. Our player of the year is a young front rower by the name of Lachlan Timm, he's one guy with a great work rate and a real pro attitude.

"Trai Fuller is another. A really exciting and instinctive little fullback, he won the player's player award this season. I think a guy like him could definitely make the jump.

"That'll be a big milestone, to have one of our senior guys convert to the NRL. But I'm looking forward to the day a local junior makes that jump; into our state team, and then to the NRL. That'll be a big day for us."

The potential for dreams to materialise into reality for starry-eyed state league players is far broader than the Hornibrook Bridge- which is the only road that accesses Redcliffe from the mainland. Pathways for Queensland players will exist in the form of affiliations with clubs as far away as the Central Queensland Capras (based in Rockhampton). This may be the time in the sun for Redcliffe, and an accolade every other team would trade their leagues club for, but according to Cleal, there is a strong sentiment that what is good for the Dolphins is great for the game in Queensland.

"It helps to provide that extra pathway for kids right through- from the Moreton Bay region, right up to Central Queensland," Cleal adds. "It's a terrific region for talent, and for a lot of years they haven't had that NRL affiliate club that can assist with things like junior development, and the flow of players not making an NRL 17 every week. I see it as great for that area, and great for that region as well."

roofromoz

First Grade
Tyrone May - from park football in 2022 back to the NRL in 2023 for the Dolphins.

You saw it speculated first in this very post. Or guessed, same diff. Just dress it up as mail and before you know it Tony Adams is posting it on Twitter with an accompanying mushroom cloud pic.

Perth Red

Post Whore
im surprised the dolphins didnt have a number of players unofficially lined up, especially the marquee signing. Thought we’d have had an announcement by now.

MugaB

Coach
im surprised the dolphins didnt have a number of players unofficially lined up, especially the marquee signing. Thought we’d have had an announcement by now.
They've got a year to pluck out signings from other clubs, i doubt they'll be rushing

Hopefully they sign J Hughes and C Munster for 2024. K Ponga and B Smith should also be on the radar. With a spine like that they would be more tham competitive. I reckon S Drinkwater would go alright at Redcliffe.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Dolphins have held talks with Broncos trio Selwyn Cobbo, Jamayne Isaako and Pat Carrigan as the NRL’s latest expansion rivalry ignites in the battle for Queensland talent.

News Corp can reveal Carrigan met with Dolphins super coach Wayne Bennett on Wednesday and toured the new club’s facilities at Redcliffe as the Broncos lock, off-contract next year, weighs up his future for 2023.

Carrigan will make a final call next week.

It is understood the Broncos will stave off their expansion rivals to secure Carrigan to a two-year upgrade worth $1 million, but that hasn’t stopped the Dolphins also making a play for Isaako and boom teenager Cobbo, rated Brisbane’s version of Latrell Mitchell.

Dolphins recruitment boss Peter O’Sullivan has spoken with the management of Isaako and Cobbo over the past week, while Bennett personally met with Carrigan in the past 24 hours to spruik his vision for the NRL’s 17th team.

Bennett believes Cobbo can be an NRL superstar.

Latest posts