What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins recruitment targets

Perth Red

Post Whore
I joined up to redcliffe today on the email but then it says thanks for helping us with our ambition to join the nrl. I thought that was done.

“We” need one of those nrl sites. Get @Timmah and lu journos to do the content and make an impression.

Better info on Lu than on the nrl official these days.
Their start up has been very underwhelming for an established club thats been planning this for 20 years!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I see it as elitist wankerism when people in Brisbane walk around wearing a New York Yankees cap or an LA Lakers singlet. There's a good chance they don't even watch these teams play and couldn't name 5 players from their squads. They most likely wear the apparel because they think it's a global brand like Gucci, Nike, Mercedes and Apple.
errr thats because they are global brands thats its cool to be seen in. Man Utd sell $200million of merch a year lol!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm surprised we haven't seen more one year deals done this year with an eye to the Dolphins in 23. If they dont land Smith and Ponga its hard to see what marquee they are going to get for '23.

Some more LU troll merchandise I thought @Twizzle could buy the rights off me and offer in “support” of the Dolphins.

6D5C5AC6-898A-4B93-A494-3C7F7794019A.jpeg
It could become a superstitious thing for Redcliffe players like those wristbands and wearing the same boots for their whole career.

Eric the squid, the official lu troll mascot, brings a lump to the throat on game day.

I’m sure Lu used to sponsor genuine league things in real life once.

For all Dolphin and LU fans, if home forum is quiet or you’re getting abused, surfs up at Parra Lu in the off season.

This is where people are hanging out on the rumours thread.

Not quite bbq gate, but some interesting stuff.

By and large, I don’t think rugby league managers and administrators etc are exactly cutting edge. But that’s not always a bad thing either.

Mary brought in all of this corporate psycho babble to sgi. Reviews and management expert, all this stuff and the side still struggled and the club suffered unnecessarily and paid precious cash for failure. Then he got sacked so the new managerialism and that kind of approach was a disaster.

Ask @Gareth67 as he was following it closely with light humour to veil deep seated concerns.

Balance is best, but a proper website etc is at least critical.

Last edited:
I see it as elitist wankerism when people in Brisbane walk around wearing a New York Yankees cap or an LA Lakers singlet. There's a good chance they don't even watch these teams play and couldn't name 5 players from their squads. They most likely wear the apparel because they think it's a global brand like Gucci, Nike, Mercedes and Apple.
haha ok fella

The irony of snubbing your nose at people wearing American sports gear and calling them "Elitist" is funny though

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett will be nervously waiting to hear the outcome of Brandon Smith’s visit with the Roosters - as plenty hinges on it.

The Dolphins are yet to make a splash on the player market in their first month as an NRL club - and the list of available stars is shrinking by the day.

The expansion club will enter the NRL in 2023 and - since November 1 - have been free to negotiate with players coming off contract at the end of next season.

The Dolphins were officially announced on September 13 and since then they’ve missed out on a host of stars that were linked to the club.

Bennett has gone all in on Smith and if the Roosters get their man - the only genuine superstar left on the market will be Kalyn Ponga - and that will be no simple transaction.

Outside of Smith and Ponga, there’s Parramatta duo Junior Paulo and Reed Mahoney, plus premiership-winning Penrith hooker Api Koroisau.

A marquee signing can make or break a club and Bennett is under pressure to field a team that will compete immediately.

The Dolphins marquee man must deliver on and off the field - winning games while also selling the club to new members and sponsors.

Leadership skills, age, and personality are factors but Bennett declared last month he won’t be building a roster of “choir boys”.

errr thats because they are global brands thats its cool to be seen in. Man Utd sell $200million of merch a year lol!
But I'm not from Manchester and I hate soccer. I'm from Brisbane and love RL. The Cowboys were the closest Queensland-based team I could support that weren't the Broncos.

It's sad that kids these days would rather support a soccer club from the other side of the world.

Is there a more boring and detestable game on Earth than soccer?

Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett will be nervously waiting to hear the outcome of Brandon Smith’s visit with the Roosters - as plenty hinges on it.

The Dolphins are yet to make a splash on the player market in their first month as an NRL club - and the list of available stars is shrinking by the day.

The expansion club will enter the NRL in 2023 and - since November 1 - have been free to negotiate with players coming off contract at the end of next season.

The Dolphins were officially announced on September 13 and since then they’ve missed out on a host of stars that were linked to the club.

Bennett has gone all in on Smith and if the Roosters get their man - the only genuine superstar left on the market will be Kalyn Ponga - and that will be no simple transaction.

Outside of Smith and Ponga, there’s Parramatta duo Junior Paulo and Reed Mahoney, plus premiership-winning Penrith hooker Api Koroisau.

A marquee signing can make or break a club and Bennett is under pressure to field a team that will compete immediately.

The Dolphins marquee man must deliver on and off the field - winning games while also selling the club to new members and sponsors.

Leadership skills, age, and personality are factors but Bennett declared last month he won’t be building a roster of “choir boys”.

He should use his connections to the RFL to lure a few English Test players from the Super League to play for The Dolphins.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But I'm not from Manchester and I hate soccer. I'm from Brisbane and love RL. The Cowboys were the closest Queensland-based team I could support that weren't the Broncos.

It's sad that kids these days would rather support a soccer club from the other side of the world.

Is there a more boring and detestable game on Earth than soccer?
you're missing your own point lol. They are buying the brand. not the sport or even the team.
I've been a fan of NE Patriots since Superbowl XX. For years they were sht and it was a bit embarrassing following them, then along came Brady and the world changed. I now see people all the time wearing Pats gear, I doubt any of them have any idea who plays outside LB or even that Brady has gone to Tampa! Its all about the brand baby. Souths get this and would be the closest thing we have to a global brand in RL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He should use his connections to the RFL to lure a few English Test players from the Super League to play for The Dolphins.
I'm surprised they haven't gone after a couple of English names yet. There's some good young talent coming through in SL. Probably less of a rush though as many SL players have a get out clause if an NRL club comes knocking, so they could fill the gaps as time goes on.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ponga is contracted for next year at Newcastle, but has a two-year option in his favour after that, technically allowing him to talk to other NRL teams about his future.

It has led to speculation that Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett will look at Ponga as his first marquee signing, with the NRL's 17th team not joining the league until 2023.

During a press conference after returning for pre-season on Wednesday, Ponga was quizzed about his future and the potential move to Redcliffe - but the fullback brushed it aside and revealed he's had no discussions at this point.

"No thoughts or discussion there from me," he said.

"To be honest my nerves have been building for today since I got back from Burleigh. I've just been thinking about today and am excited about building on last year.

"It's not using any of my energy for them to talk. My energy is here, my focus is here, my attention is here.

"I want to be better this year and I get to have a pre-season which I'm very excited about."

Newcastle have made the finals for the past two years, but have fallen out in the first week to both South Sydney and Parramatta.

Ponga is one of the game's most exciting players, and would be a fantastic acquisition for a start-up franchise like The Dolphins, who will be keen to make a mark from the moment they enter the competition.

The four-time QLD Origin representative said the idea of working under a legendary mentor in Bennett hadn't crossed his mind, and is fully-focused on premiership glory at the Knights.

"No I haven't (spoken to Bennett)...I've seen a couple of articles, I don't like to read that sort of stuff," he said.

"The carrot dangling is a premiership at the end of this year. I'm excited to win that I want to get after that. That's the carrot for me and it has been the last year, the year before.

"I just want to build on the back of last year and be better, more connected as a team. I'm excited for that."

MugaB

Coach
you're missing your own point lol. They are buying the brand. not the sport or even the team.
I've been a fan of NE Patriots since Superbowl XX. For years they were sht and it was a bit embarrassing following them, then along came Brady and the world changed. I now see people all the time wearing Pats gear, I doubt any of them have any idea who plays outside LB or even that Brady has gone to Tampa! Its all about the brand baby. Souths get this and would be the closest thing we have to a global brand in RL.
Did somebody say " MENU LOG"
getting delivery like a G!

MugaB

Coach
If he seriously thinks the knights are heading for a premiership he should hang around for less, but I think he’s ours lads. Money talks.
The fact that the dolphins seem very calm about everything, means they got a few guys locked up but just holding off on reporting it.... like a complete opposite of what the bulldogs are doing

Buying into the brand despite not caring about the club or the sport is what makes them wankers. They're the sort of people who have no honour or common sense and squander their money on useless shit they don't need to keep up with the Joneses.

What teams need is true blue fans who will sit in the rain to support the club. Few people are willing to do that these days.

MugaB

Coach
Buying into the brand despite not caring about the club or the sport is what makes them wankers. They're the sort of people who have no honour or common sense and squander their money on useless shit they don't need to keep up with the Joneses.

What teams need is true blue fans who will sit in the rain to support the club. Few people are willing to do that these days.
PR would sit in the rain for the storm, but only if they relocated to perth

The fact that the dolphins seem very calm about everything, means they got a few guys locked up but just holding off on reporting it.... like a complete opposite of what the bulldogs are doing

I think that’s more than likely.

The second coming of the dogs has been very well planned and executed.

The dogs have bought some outstanding players.

Done a great job when you think about it.

Not sure where it leaves us Dolphins trolls.

Bridesmaids again!