What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins

H.H

Juniors
I believe this has been on Redcliffe's mind for some time. Big Artie referred to it in his excellent biography and the Titans were originally going to be the Doplhins until Redcliffe threatened to sue for this very reason.

I've always thought it makes sense, but have to admit I'm a Sydneysider so I was unaware and suprised by the level of vitriol from the the old BRL diehards - this is a problem.

Anyways, they're a very strong league area and some of the current players like Dave Shillington, Mick Crocker, Dane Carlaw and big Petero have come through the ranks...some quality there.

Cashed up too I believe, so we could do worse I reckon.

dimitri

First Grade
Maybe the NRL could admit the Bombers, then a Sydney team can re-locate and merge with Redcliffe and we could have 3 teams playing out of Suncorp :crazy: :crazy:

All these many Brisbane bids do is split the loyalties of the potential Brisbane fans.

And if one of them actually does get in, do the supporters of a different bid now support the successful bid?

I like the idea of a second Brisbane team, but they really need to unite and gain united public support. Because as it stand's Dolphins fans support the Dolphins, Jets fans support the Western Corridor and people who hate the Broncos; the Dolphins; And the Jets support the Bombers.

Agree completely

Maybe best to just bring back the Crushers

Brisbane Crushers!!!

Toot toot!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Their logo sucks worse than the bombers!

00006493-photo.gif

hellteam

First Grade
I hate Redcliffe. All my friends hate Redcliffe. Most league fans in Brisbane hate Redcliffe. This is a terrible idea.

beave

Coach
For people from NSW/Sydney who aren't familiar with Redcliffe, it's basically Mt Druitt by the sea, hence why most people aren't fans of the Dolphins.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The ideal scenario would have been the GC jumoping in bed with teh Dolphins nd having shared owership of an NRL license with Redcliffe providing the jnr's and some $'s and we would have had the Gold Coast Dolphins which would have been much better. Oh well.

Bears must be rubbing their hands, with 4-5 possible Q'land bids there is real danger of them cannabilising each other and non of them providing a compelling argument for inclusion.

docbrown

Coach
Rather than gun for this, I think Redcliffe should look to the Sunshine Coast in order for a bid 15+ years from now.

bobbis

Juniors
Redcliffe is like a Brisbane version of Cronulla, I can't see the NRL repeating that mistake. The only chance the Dolphins would have is to base themselves on the Sunshine Coast.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Rather than gun for this, I think Redcliffe should look to the Sunshine Coast in order for a bid 15+ years from now.

Don't know about the 15yr wait but I do agree with the idea of removing the "Redcliffe" from the Dolphins tag, and instead replace it with something a little broader like you are suggesting re: the Sunshine Cost

It's obvious that no existing QRL club could stand alone and not alienate some portion of Brisbane's inner city club's petty and insular fans.........:roll:

Sunshine Coast Dolphins.......?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
As an Easts Tigers fan who was present at the grand finals of 76-78 as a young tacker ... I can assure you all that Redcliffe was never one our rivalries ... well at least certainly not of last century

The nineties were a bitter time for the two clubs though. The finish to the 97 Grand Final was particularly harsh for Tigers supporters.

But I must admit my hatred for them stems mainly from being the son of a Wynnum man.

It's obvious that no existing QRL club could stand alone and not alienate some portion of Brisbane's inner city club's petty and insular fans.........:roll:

So you would expect Easts and especially Wynnum supporters to get behind Redcliffe all of a sudden if they were successful in a bid to join the NRL?

Stop it.

Mr Fourex

Bench
But I must admit my hatred for them stems mainly from being the son of a Wynnum man.

:lol:........yes the Bayside rivalry has always run deep.

Wynnum locals were always jealous that the majority of Brisbane travelled to visit Redcliffe's sandy beaches.........instead of Wynnum-Manly's mud :p

juanfarkall

Coach
:lol:........yes the Bayside rivalry has always run deep.

Wynnum locals were always jealous that the majority of Brisbane travelled to visit Redcliffe's sandy beaches.........instead of Wynnum-Manly's mud :p

Wynnum locals were jealous of anyone who lived in a structure which had locking doors and did not have a towbar attached.

jk13

First Grade
Unlike deadcliff, at least at wynnum your car was still in the carpark after the game

Latest posts