What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

The Great Dane

First Grade
Except Morton Bay has double population.

Except outside of the people in Redcliffe very few people in Morton Bay like the Dolphins...

No matter how they change the geographic signifier in their name or how they paint their growth into the NRL, if you bring in the Dolphins you are getting Redcliffe, nothing more and nothing less.

Pippen94

First Grade
Except outside of the people in Redcliffe very few people in Morton Bay like the Dolphins...

No matter how they change the geographic signifier in their name or how they paint their growth into the NRL, if you bring in the Dolphins you are getting Redcliffe, nothing more and nothing less.
Dolphins seen as Morton Bay team. Redcliffe admin center for region - like Penrith or Parramatta for adjoining suburbs. Ask people in Granville if eels aren't local team.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Dolphins seen as Morton Bay team. Redcliffe admin center for region - like Penrith or Parramatta for adjoining suburbs. Ask people in Granville if eels aren't local team.

You're from Sydney aren't you?

Also just because Redcliffe is the "admin center for the region" doesn't mean that people in Morton Bay like Redcliffe or the Dolphins. In fact as a person from Canberra it's my general experience that people hate the "admin center" of their regions, and normally for f**king stupid reasons as well.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
redcliffe dolphins , go for it, 2023
NORTH BRISBANE DOLPHINS, they won't risk pigeon holing the team to one specific suburb or region,
They'll also have to be a team that plays a few home games and trials in Redcliffe and Sunshine Coast stadiums
But the majority at Suncorp.
The colors will also have to reflect redcliffe but also sunshine coast falcons, if both teams are feeder clubs for this new team
I reckon Red, White, Silver, Gold
Basically the cowboys colors but red replacing the navy blue

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
You're from Sydney aren't you?

Also just because Redcliffe is the "admin center for the region" doesn't mean that people in Morton Bay like Redcliffe or the Dolphins. In fact as a person from Canberra it's my general experience that people hate the "admin center" of their regions, and normally for f**king stupid reasons as well.
Maybe some do, but as only Morton bay team in Qrl cup most likely it has more support in area than other teams combined. Of course haven't been in top flight since 1987 so who knows if there's strong feeling either way.

mongoose

Coach
Bringing in the Dolphins and no Perth is almost a dream scenario for the AFL. Well, the AFL's dream scenario for NRL expansion would be the nothing Central Coast bid and the dead in the water Central QLD, but Redcliffe isn't far off. It leaves the huge area South of the river open for them to pump money into. I think they are building some multi-million dollar training base for the Lions at Springfield. The AFL is also heavily promoting AFLW all over Brisbane.
Even when I drive around Brisbane I notice there are many more AFL fields on the south side of the river than the North side.

The AFL would be laughing a V'landy's comments around Perth (that is if he's not on their pay roll). Perth gives Rugby League more reach, more clout negotiating with sponsors, governments and broadcasters. Perth isn't the AFL monoculture that Melbourne is. It's a similar in culture to Brisbane from my experience. Very laid back people who will get behind any sport as long as it's Perth. Why the hell wouldn't you give sports fans in Perth the gift of an NRL team?

tri_colours

Juniors
The AFL would be laughing a V'landy's comments around Perth (that is if he's not on their pay roll). Perth gives Rugby League more reach, more clout negotiating with sponsors, governments and broadcasters. Perth isn't the AFL monoculture that Melbourne is. It's a similar in culture to Brisbane from my experience. Very laid back people who will get behind any sport as long as it's Perth. Why the hell wouldn't you give sports fans in Perth the gift of an NRL team?

According to the AFL's last annual report , The Suns needed to be dished out 23m and the Lions 22m in 2019. I think this might be the reason.

Last edited:

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Perth gives Rugby League more reach, more clout negotiating with sponsors, governments and broadcasters. Perth isn't the AFL monoculture that Melbourne is. It's a similar in culture to Brisbane from my experience. Very laid back people who will get behind any sport as long as it's Perth. Why the hell wouldn't you give sports fans in Perth the gift of an NRL team?

Couldn’t agree more. Sadly it won’t happen as Foxtel seems to be driving the bus

Perth Red

Post Whore
According to the AFL's last annual report , The Suns needed to be dished out 23m and the Lions 22m in 2019. I think this might be the reason.

you can afford such investments when you are the afl and earnt in 2018 $270million more than the nrl!

T-Boon

Coach
If they are going to bring in Redcliffe etc they should relocate the Broncos to Melbourne, Perth or the gold coast.

Pippen94

First Grade
Bringing in the Dolphins and no Perth is almost a dream scenario for the AFL. Well, the AFL's dream scenario for NRL expansion would be the nothing Central Coast bid and the dead in the water Central QLD, but Redcliffe isn't far off. It leaves the huge area South of the river open for them to pump money into. I think they are building some multi-million dollar training base for the Lions at Springfield. The AFL is also heavily promoting AFLW all over Brisbane.
Even when I drive around Brisbane I notice there are many more AFL fields on the south side of the river than the North side.

Same tired line about afl threat. Same one Central Qld use & Norths. Extra team in Brisbane will create home game every week & big derby. Wherever team is placed will create boast.
Brisbane should have 3 teams; Broncs, Morton Bay & South.

Perth Red

Post Whore
????? I think both organisation made around 50m last year .

But yes, I take your point though the ARLC is going great guns since being set up just 8 years ago. Our revenue has more than trebled in that period.

they made similar surplus but as you rightly point out they are able to invest significantly more in expanding their game to a national footprint, have much higher funding to clubs and grass roots whilst making the same surplus as the nrl.

the revenue gap in 2013 was $156.2million, this year its $270million. Yep Commission have done a sterling job against its main competition lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Same tired line about afl threat. Same one Central Qld use & Norths. Extra team in Brisbane will create home game every week & big derby. Wherever team is placed will create boast.
Brisbane should have 3 teams; Broncs, Morton Bay & South.

I think two is the right number for at least the next 20 years, brisbane is a similar size to perth and afl is much bigger in terms of fanbase here but it couldn’t hold a third afl team. Be silly to saturate Brisbane to the point you end up with struggling clubs. Better we have two large strong clubs. Just another reason they have to get this right and the second club has to have a large part of the city appeal. Looking outside in broncos covering cbd and north and second club aiming at sw corridor seems most logical, though I do worry about the impact on a very fragile Titans.

Pippen94

First Grade
I think two is the right number for at least the next 20 years, brisbane is a similar size to perth and afl is much bigger in terms of fanbase here but it couldn’t hold a third afl team. Be silly to saturate Brisbane to the point you end up with struggling clubs. Better we have two large strong clubs. Just another reason they have to get this right and the second club has to have a large part of the city appeal. Looking outside in broncos covering cbd and north and second club aiming at sw corridor seems most logical, though I do worry about the impact on a very fragile Titans.
Nobody in Logan or Ipswich follow titans. Local rival will help titans.

tri_colours

Juniors
they made similar surplus but as you rightly point out they are able to invest significantly more in expanding their game to a national footprint, have much higher funding to clubs and grass roots whilst making the same surplus as the nrl.

the revenue gap in 2013 was $156.2million, this year its $270million. Yep Commission have done a sterling job against its main competition lol.

If your saying the NRL currently has quiet a bit less money, half the advertising opportunities. But are still managing to grow there business at faster rate than the AFL. Then I agree. But arn't you refuting your own argument?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
If your saying the NRL currently has quiet a bit less money, half the advertising opportunities. But are still managing to grow there business at greater rate than the AFL. Are'nt you refuting your own argument?

if only it was true.
Annual revenue growth
Afl growth in revenue 2013-2019 = $356.1mill
Nrl growth in revenue 2013-2019 = $225.1mill

the revenue gap widens every year. Maybe selling a ninth game will help close the gap?