What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Why not the Brisbane Dolphins?

More attractive to casual fans and sponsors. They could play one or two games each season in Redcliffe for games which might get smaller attendances.

I don't think Redcliffe would cop that name at all and I'm not really sure if the NRL can force them to change their name, or if they would want them to change their name.

jim_57

Staff member
I don't think Redcliffe would cop that name at all and I'm not really sure if the NRL can force them to change their name, or if they would want them to change their name.

They can give them the ultimatum though if Redcliffe won't budge.

I still don't think 'Redcliffe' should be the name, most people in the South East Queensland target audience would have no connection with Redcliffe. It'd be like having Burleigh Bears or Townsville Blackhawks in the NRL instead of using the names Gold Coast and NQ.

flippikat

Bench
They can give them the ultimatum though if Redcliffe won't budge.

I still don't think 'Redcliffe' should be the name, most people in the South East Queensland target audience would have no connection with Redcliffe. It'd be like having Burleigh Bears or Townsville Blackhawks in the NRL instead of using the names Gold Coast and NQ.

I wonder what the response would be if the NRL approach Redcliffe in good faith & say that theyre keen on adding the Dolphins - but the geographical name needs to appeal beyond a particular suburb?

Marlins

Juniors
I wonder what the response would be if the NRL approach Redcliffe in good faith & say that theyre keen on adding the Dolphins - but the geographical name needs to appeal beyond a particular suburb?
Redcliffe Dolphins are too proud. They won’t change their name. I think North Brisbane would be the way to go. Or well. More chance of Ipswich having a name change.
South Brisbane jets, South West Jets etc.

greenBV4

Bench
Are they that proud that they would give up a rare NRL licence? They could still keep their qld cup team as Redcliffe

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Think Brisbane Dolphins is a good name. Let's hope some positive thinking occurs and this eventually occurs.

Cdd

Juniors
Is there room for a second Brisbane team playing out of Suncorp AND a team in Redcliffe?

I don’t see why not. Maybe a Rockhampton team as well to make the split between NSW and QLD more even.

A Central Queensland v North Queensland derby could be HUGE.

greenBV4

Bench
The Gold Coast wanted to use the Dolphins brand. Redcliffe wouldn’t have a bar of it.
I get Redcliffe's point of view with that, its a non-affiliated club wanting to use their branding, which would've basically meant they could never join the NRL under their own name

I was talking about them turning down an NRL licence because of a slight name change to Brisbane or Moreton Bay, they would still be "the dolphins", with the same branding, jersey, colours etc.

greenBV4

Bench

Perth Red

Post Whore
According to wiki it is?

The Moreton Bay Region is a local government area in the north of the Brisbane metropolitan area in South East Queensland, Australia. Established in 2008, it replaced three established local government areas, the City of Redcliffe and the Shires of Pine Rivers and Caboolture.

Saying that I think Moreton Bay Dolphins would be a better name

Its 39km Redcliffe to Suncorp so would just be outer metro you'd think? That is the problem with having a region specific club then paying out of suncorp, its a fair distance. Having said that Fremantle to Perth Optus Stadium is 21km and they have no problem getting 40k there every game so maybe not that big an issue if transport links are good.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
According to wiki it is?

The Moreton Bay Region is a local government area in the north of the Brisbane metropolitan area in South East Queensland, Australia. Established in 2008, it replaced three established local government areas, the City of Redcliffe and the Shires of Pine Rivers and Caboolture.

Saying that I think Moreton Bay Dolphins would be a better name

It has it's own council separate to the Brisbane City Council. I can guarantee you that Redcliffe won't change their name and the NRL most likely won't make them.

The calls for them to be called something other than Redcliffe Dolphins seem to be coming from those that live outside of SEQ. We have to remember that this team is for the people of South East QLD and the Redcliffe Dolphins is a very strong QRL brand that is well recognised locally.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Its 39km Redcliffe to Suncorp so would just be outer metro you'd think? That is the problem with having a region specific club then paying out of suncorp, its a fair distance. Having said that Fremantle to Perth Optus Stadium is 21km and they have no problem getting 40k there every game so maybe not that big an issue if transport links are good.

Transport links are good to Suncorp and the drive isn't too bad, especially if the game is on a Saturday or Sunday.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It has it's own council separate to the Brisbane City Council. I can guarantee you that Redcliffe won't change their name and the NRL most likely won't make them.

The calls for them to be called something other than Redcliffe Dolphins seem to be coming from those that live outside of SEQ. We have to remember that this team is for the people of South East QLD and the Redcliffe Dolphins is a very strong QRL brand that is well recognised locally.

Thats not how you define a city, all large city metropolitans are made up of multiple LGA's, usually the actual CBD council is one of the smallest. I guesss the discussion is if Redcliffe name is too geographically specific and may not connect with people from right around Brisbane metro, or if like in Freo's case it has a strong enough identity and connection that people from right around that region will jump on board with it .

mongoose

Coach
Is there room for a second Brisbane team playing out of Suncorp AND a team in Redcliffe?

I don’t see why not. Maybe a Rockhampton team as well to make the split between NSW and QLD more even.

A Central Queensland v North Queensland derby could be HUGE.

central QLD is a pipe dream. Rocky is smaller than Townsville with very little sponsorship opportunities. It would be harder to get players to move there than to Canberra. At least Canberra is a modern city...

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Thats not how you define a city, all large city metropolitans are made up of multiple LGA's, usually the actual CBD council is one of the smallest. I guesss the discussion is if Redcliffe name is too geographically specific and may not connect with people from right around Brisbane metro, or if like in Freo's case it has a strong enough identity and connection that people from right around that region will jump on board with it .

That's more the point I was trying make - the locals up there (Redcliffe) definately see themselves as not Brisbane but they have the advantage of being close enough and a strong and respected enough brand to appeal to the many non-Bronco fans in greater Brisbane.

jim_57

Staff member

The majority of people from South East QLD have no connection with Redcliffe whatsoever. If they're distancing themselves from any Brisbane connection they're no chance, well at least they shouldn't be.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The majority of people from South East QLD have no connection with Redcliffe whatsoever. If they're distancing themselves from any Brisbane connection they're no chance, well at least they shouldn't be.

I think being a realy footy club with a long and respected history and not being the Broncos will be two big factors.

I'm not connected to Redcliffe in any way and never been a fan of them in the QLD Cup but I would go and watch them play in the NRL just to support them.

Latest posts