What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

Timbo

Staff member
If we were rl mad city with one club then I’d agree! You think the dockers thought, why play at subiaco when we are starting up, might as well play at north freo oval.

Don’t expect them to avg 34k but I would expect them to be up around the 18-20k or you’d have too question if Brisbane does actually want another club.

Your Pirates analogy is just stupidity. If we avg 16k year one we will be doing better than the majority of sydney clubs who have had 50-100 years to build a fan Base!

So once again your answer is ‘I’m right, because Perth’.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If we were rl mad city with one club then I’d agree! You think the dockers thought, why play at subiaco when we are starting up, might as well play at north freo oval.

Don’t expect them to avg 34k but I would expect them to be up around the 18-20k or you’d have too question if Brisbane does actually want another club.

Your Pirates analogy is just stupidity. If we avg 16k year one we will be doing better than the majority of sydney clubs who have had 50-100 years to build a fan Base!

Brisbane 2 (in whatever form it takes) should pull 20 - 25k average in the first season without impacting the Broncos figures too much. Where it goes from there is up to the club and how they run and market themselves. If 20 - 25k sounds a bit iffy to some, here are a few points to think about:

• The Crushers averaged 21k in 1995 before the SuperLeague war started to set in (24 years ago)
  • There is a large ground swell of RL supporters in Brisbane that don't / won't support the Broncos
  • Brisbane 2's main crowd pulling games will be Broncos (50k), Cowboys (35k), Titans (25 - 30k), Melbourne (25 - 30k), Warriors (25 - 30k), Dragons (20 - 25k) - those games alone will all but ensure the average stays close to 25k

Xcalibre

Juniors
Dolphins is a good mascot from a storyline perspective. The harmless and innocent marine creatures versus the mean and arrogant wild horses.

Vee

First Grade
Still think the best idea here is a Brisbane club that represents all Queensland Rugby League (in contrast to the Broncos who were kind of dropped in over the old league), without being tied to any one club. Playing out of Suncorp full time.
The South Queensland Crushers perhaps?

In all seriousity, that was exactly the reasoning behind the Crushers, uniting the BRL Bronco-hating public against the corporate behemoth. Was all going swimmingly (youth academy, LC, coach) until poor decision making at the top stuffed it up and left them struggling for relevance.

Diesel

Referee
Would the QRL own a team much like they did with the Crushers, or is that not something they’d do again?

Stallion

First Grade

In all seriousity, that was exactly the reasoning behind the Crushers, uniting the BRL Bronco-hating public against the corporate behemoth. Was all going swimmingly (youth academy, LC, coach) until poor decision making at the top stuffed it up and left them struggling for relevance.

Different name and colours along with general media support will see a second Brisbane team/club succeed. It will even help the greedy Broncos if they really think about it!

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench

Some bad recruiting decisions as well, signing over the hill players like Dale Shearer, Gilly, Mario...err Garrik Morgan. Sydney teams would kill for thier 21,000 first season average crowds.

Diesel

Referee
One of the biggest issues Brisbane 2 will face is the less than favourable press that the Broncos do not recieve from their owners, News Ltd through the Courier Mail.
If Fairfax or another media org can get behind B2 that’d go some way dispelling the less-than truthful articles from News

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade
Some bad recruiting decisions as well, signing over the hill players like Dale Shearer, Gilly, Mario...err Garrik Morgan. Sydney teams would kill for thier 21,000 first season average crowds.
The recruiting problems started after and came from the other problems.

MugaB

Coach
The more i think of this, the more i feel redcliffe and ipswich bids probably have to come together in a joint effort, the NRL will most likely take a South Queensland entity, as im sure the NRL are keen on a Suncorp based team, and even though redcliffe is pretty far north of brisbane, and ipswich is west, maybe a South Qld Dolphins, but with Ipswich colors to give both sides something.
I know most of the forum would rather the bombers, but with no real historical club behind that bid, it feels a bit souless to me, where a joint effort gives a fan base ready to go, just not sure how the distance between both QRL clubs will affect fans travelling to Milton, to watch them, unless its a Stgeorge-illawarra type stadium setup

Stallion

First Grade
The more i think of this, the more i feel redcliffe and ipswich bids probably have to come together in a joint effort, the NRL will most likely take a South Queensland entity, as im sure the NRL are keen on a Suncorp based team, and even though redcliffe is pretty far north of brisbane, and ipswich is west, maybe a South Qld Dolphins, but with Ipswich colors to give both sides something.
I know most of the forum would rather the bombers, but with no real historical club behind that bid, it feels a bit souless to me, where a joint effort gives a fan base ready to go, just not sure how the distance between both QRL clubs will affect fans travelling to Milton, to watch them, unless its a Stgeorge-illawarra type stadium setup

Dolphins are a popular animal as well! Well liked by kids and adults. Not a bad idea.

MugaB

Coach
Dolphins are a popular animal as well! Well liked by kids and adults. Not a bad idea.
Its way better than bombers, that name to me is too violent, it reminds me of war, but Dolphins was already a name the GC was trying to use, aswell as Redcliffe testing it as a well known brand, but i know that the name "redcliffe" won't cut it as a new brand for a brisbane NRL side, purely coz of the suburb factor, the want a region/city name if it was to go ahead.
But thats just how i would do it, im sure moreton bay, north brisbane, or sunshine coast, is just as good, but two QRL clubs is a better bid than, all the other single bids.

Cdd

Juniors
I can understand people suggesting using a historical brand like Redcliffe or Ipswich which might gain some loyal support from the off, but what about the long term? Will either of those mean much to anyone down the line?

Equally I can understand people wanting Brisbane in the name and a completely new nickname, but will that get the support of people in Redcliffe who felt like they should have been the NRL franchise?

Therefore I think they need something completely neutral and different. Something that EVERYONE in Brisbane and the surrounding areas can get behind...

I’d suggest: Brisbane United RL or Brisbane City RL. Completely new for RL down under, classy, no cringe, and it would catch the attention of any RL supporter who doesn’t affiliate with the broncos could get behind.

The idea that you have to have an animal or a marketable nickname is outdated in my opinion as quite a few MLS franchises are proving.

greenBV4

Bench
I think this is a great idea,
I mentioned this in another thread but you could take it further and throw in even more QRL clubs and end up with a "syndicate" of owners. Instead of a geographical divide you'd have one similar to how the BBL has set up the 2-club cities, a mostly inner city "glamour" club (Broncos) and a mostly outer suburb "battler's" (New Club). They would have fans and money from the get go and could be based out of Suncorp, maybe even rotate through a "heritage" ground once each year at the QRL clubs grounds.

MugaB

Coach
I can understand people suggesting using a historical brand like Redcliffe or Ipswich which might gain some loyal support from the off, but what about the long term? Will either of those mean much to anyone down the line?

Equally I can understand people wanting Brisbane in the name and a completely new nickname, but will that get the support of people in Redcliffe who felt like they should have been the NRL franchise?

Therefore I think they need something completely neutral and different. Something that EVERYONE in Brisbane and the surrounding areas can get behind...

I’d suggest: Brisbane United RL or Brisbane City RL. Completely new for RL down under, classy, no cringe, and it would catch the attention of any RL supporter who doesn’t affiliate with the broncos could get behind.

The idea that you have to have an animal or a marketable nickname is outdated in my opinion as quite a few MLS franchises are proving.
This sounds like a soccer club, "united"
It just lacks effort, it's almost like the gold coast united a-league team, uneventful.
A mascot is meaningful, and the colors are a representation of the area, and that of the mascot, tigers are usually orange and black, its a powerful animal, and represents strength.
If you don't have a symbol that represents your team, like the Broncos, might aswell just be the crushers again.
The NSWRL had 11 animal mascots and the jets prior to 1982, the old jerseys were bright and simple, and everyone in the crowd stood out when they wore their colors, sharks have blue, dragons have red, magpies, black.
There is real divide between teams back then, so much so not many had an alternate jersey, now it's weird, titans are navy and are trying to copy the storm this year, tigers dont have an orange jersey, now you want to have team without an emblem basically

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Redcliffe will enter as the Redcliffed Dolphins, not as anything else. They are too proud and have too long a history to change the name. It's not a bad thing though.

Does anyone not from or familiar with the UK know where Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham etc are? Does it matter? No. I know RL is not at the same level of popularity as football / soccer, but people relate to teams these days for more reasons than just the name of the suburb they came from.

if Redcliffe market well (and we know that they are a well run club), they will be the traditional QRL club taking the fight to the corporate Broncos and putting things right after the BRL demise for the old school fans and for the new fans that are too young to care about the BRL it doesn't matter - they are the Redcliffe Dolphins that play at Suncorp.

I live in Logan and I'd go and watch the Dolphins at Suncorp. I've never lived in Redcliffe or supported the Dolphins but I respect the brand and what they stand for. I wouldn't be the only one.

Stallion

First Grade

Think the kids like it and may be good for marketing. Gives the club and angle and theme. Just a couple of positives.

Diesel

Referee
I can’t recall one post on here supporting the Bombers and not one person I know in Brisbane would support the Bombers. They are Broncos v2.0

Cdd

Juniors
Redcliffe will enter as the Redcliffed Dolphins, not as anything else. They are too proud and have too long a history to change the name. It's not a bad thing though.

Does anyone not from or familiar with the UK know where Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham etc are? Does it matter? No. I know RL is not at the same level of popularity as football / soccer, but people relate to teams these days for more reasons than just the name of the suburb they came from.

if Redcliffe market well (and we know that they are a well run club), they will be the traditional QRL club taking the fight to the corporate Broncos and putting things right after the BRL demise for the old school fans and for the new fans that are too young to care about the BRL it doesn't matter - they are the Redcliffe Dolphins that play at Suncorp.

I live in Logan and I'd go and watch the Dolphins at Suncorp. I've never lived in Redcliffe or supported the Dolphins but I respect the brand and what they stand for. I wouldn't be the only one.

Why not the Brisbane Dolphins?

More attractive to casual fans and sponsors. They could play one or two games each season in Redcliffe for games which might get smaller attendances.