What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe put their hand up

Santino Patane

Juniors
No one supports Norths Devils, but it would make sense to have them in their feeder club arrangement.

there is no specific suburb or regional council called North Brisbane so its a nice neutral name that encompasses a massive region from Moreton Bay to Suncorp.
The problem is it then disenfranchises anyone on the Southside from supporting the team. There won’t be any further expansion teams from Qld (at least in most of our lifetimes) so it needs to be much broader. I like the sound of “Moreton Bay”, but accept too many people will confuse it with the council, rather than the actual bay. Brisbane Dolphins would probably be the front runner, and makes the most sense.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The problem is it then disenfranchises anyone on the Southside from supporting the team. There won’t be any further expansion teams from Qld (at least in most of our lifetimes) so it needs to be much broader. I like the sound of “Moreton Bay”, but accept too many people will confuse it with the council, rather than the actual bay. Brisbane Dolphins would probably be the front runner, and makes the most sense.

It is but we have been having a verrrrrrrry long argument on here about if its better to geographically identify yourself to get more buy in from a specific identified population group (and as long as its big enough and within reach of the stadium then for me its a yes) or be very generic and try to appeal to all and sundry in direct competition with the well established club that already exists and is equally generic.

If there is strong enough evidence that there are many many thousands of RL fans in the south of Brisbane waiting for a club and the NRL can see no long hope of having a third Brisbane club then sure be generic, if not then makes more sense to go North, Central and South in thinking about the potential 3 eventual Brisbane clubs. Besides I think in this day and age of transient populations living south of the river wouldn't necessarily exclude you from picking a North Brisbane club if it had a cool brand and successful team. There's plenty of Freo fans living north of the river in perth.

MugaB

Coach
Personally i prefer Sunshine State Dolphins, it has a bit of a broader name to it, almost like "South Queensland"
I was watching the Cowboys Vs Broncos last Saturday, and the term sunshine state derby, came up a lot during the call, i'm a fan of it.
I also like "East Coast Dolphins" in fact I'm probably the person who came up with that name, as i wanted the 2 new franchises to be in SEQ and Perth and be west coast vs east coast, then created the logos for them around about this time last year.
But again the idea of representing the "east coast" of QLD or Australia? My original idea was the bid mergers of Easts Tigers, Sunshine Coast Falcons, and Redcliffe Dolphins, but as its own entity, north brisbane dolphins probably works to some degree.

Personally i prefer Sunshine State Dolphins, it has a bit of a broader name to it, almost like "South Queensland"
I was watching the Cowboys Vs Broncos last Saturday, and the term sunshine state derby, came up a lot during the call, i'm a fan of it.
I also like "East Coast Dolphins" in fact I'm probably the person who came up with that name, as i wanted the 2 new franchises to be in SEQ and Perth and be west coast vs east coast, then created the logos for them around about this time last year.
But again the idea of representing the "east coast" of QLD or Australia? My original idea was the bid mergers of Easts Tigers, Sunshine Coast Falcons, and Redcliffe Dolphins, but as its own entity, north brisbane dolphins probably works to some degree.
East Cost Dolphins could work if it unites Redcliffe and Easts. The two bids might have to merge now that the Jets and Bombers are a united consortium.

If only the balmain tigers relocated to Brisbane to become the Brisbane tigers and the magpies merged with Canterbury to become western bulldogs/west Sydney bulldogs.
It would make the game stronger. Brisbane Tigers in a gold jersey with black "v" would be great.

Loose Cannon

Bench
So which name do you prefer:

Brisbane Dolphins?
Moreton Bay Dolphins?
Sunshine State Dolphins?
South Queensland Dolphins?

Newcastle Knights is good marketing and one of the smarter brands in world sport, right up there with Arsenal Gunners. Knights defend castles and guns make up arsenal. Moreton Bay has plenty of dolphins swimming in it and is a popular weekend getaway for people from Brisbane. As you enter Redland City along Broadwater Rd there's a sign that says "Redlands on Moreton Bay".

View attachment 48328
I’m happy with either of the first two, or North Brisbane as PR suggested, (especially if a third club southside is ever in the cards).

I don’t support any broad nomenclature which will not be serviced by said club. Personally, I would prefer the names Auckland and Townsville for the Warriors and Cowboys respectively. They may claim to represent the larger footprint, but they only play in one city within. These club names, however, don’t encroach on other club identities, although “New Zealand” should be reserved for the national representative side.

Sunshine State suggests they represent all of Queensland, which they will not, and therefore encroach on the identity of the 3 existing clubs. South Queensland, likewise, encompasses Brisbane Broncos and Gold Coast Titans.

The East Coast suggestion is the worst of all in this regard. Melbourne, Canberra and Warriors are the only teams not included in definition. (Yes, I have included all Sydney teams, even Penrith, they are close enough).

MugaB

Coach
I’m happy with either of the first two, or North Brisbane as PR suggested, (especially if a third club southside is ever in the cards).

I don’t support any broad nomenclature which will not be serviced by said club. Personally, I would prefer the names Auckland and Townsville for the Warriors and Cowboys respectively. They may claim to represent the larger footprint, but they only play in one city within. These club names, however, don’t encroach on other club identities, although “New Zealand” should be reserved for the national representative side.

Sunshine State suggests they represent all of Queensland, which they will not, and therefore encroach on the identity of the 3 existing clubs. South Queensland, likewise, encompasses Brisbane Broncos and Gold Coast Titans.

The East Coast suggestion is the worst of all in this regard. Melbourne, Canberra and Warriors are the only teams not included in definition. (Yes, I have included all Sydney teams, even Penrith, they are close enough).
Are you afraid East Coast Dolphins might encroach on the Newcastle knights.... bwahahahaha!!!

Yes i do get that mindset tho, im a huge fan of warriors reverting back being called Auckland, and have also loved that they have embraced their heritage colors again, they went thru a penrith like identity crises for a while, but now both panthers and warriors are much more defined regarding their colors (both my 1st and 2nd favourite teams to follow)
Townsville is a tough one, i suppose its because when they started the moniker of North QLD and South QLD were there, aswell as "western" reds, yet auckland was just Auckland???
to me the dolphins have options, Sunshine State is probably the best for me, but a generic Greater Brisbane Dolphins, could also work, but using GWS Giants as an example isn't a good thing

Last edited:

Santino Patane

Juniors
It is but we have been having a verrrrrrrry long argument on here about if its better to geographically identify yourself to get more buy in from a specific identified population group (and as long as its big enough and within reach of the stadium then for me its a yes) or be very generic and try to appeal to all and sundry in direct competition with the well established club that already exists and is equally generic.

If there is strong enough evidence that there are many many thousands of RL fans in the south of Brisbane waiting for a club and the NRL can see no long hope of having a third Brisbane club then sure be generic, if not then makes more sense to go North, Central and South in thinking about the potential 3 eventual Brisbane clubs. Besides I think in this day and age of transient populations living south of the river wouldn't necessarily exclude you from picking a North Brisbane club if it had a cool brand and successful team. There's plenty of Freo fans living north of the river in perth.
As your other comment, it would be good to see some data on where Broncos members live, but without I can only work on my anecdotal experience with this.

Through working throughout the Greater Brisbane area with a broad spectrum of the communities (actual reflections of their demographic), I would bet my home on their support is evenly distributed throughout greater Brisbane (and Qld as well).

Also, logically it makes sense too. Do the Eagles in Perth appeal to one area? From what I hear, no.

I don’t think there’s any real arguments here. Why else do you think the NRL want a team to appeal to the wider metropolitan?

MugaB

Coach
I don’t think there’s any real arguments here. Why else do you think the NRL want a team to appeal to the wider metropolitan?
Realistically this dolphins name argument started as a deflection of why i have been putting down GROTD posts, which really is happening on a forum wide scale, as his stupidity is spreading beyond the expansion threads

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh West Coast works for a Perth club as we have WA RL clubs stretching from 2000kms of coast line Albany to Port Headland that will part of the Pirates family. East coast for a Brisbane team makes no sense really. But I do like east coast v west coast lol!

MugaB

Coach
Wow, one of the shittiest names they could choose (barring “River City”). What happened to the community consultation they were going to do?
It's all about dotting "I"s and crossing "T"s if they wanted a few different names for options, they'll need to make sure they secure them before presenting them, didn't they already lock up, Brisbane Dolphins?

ash the bash

Juniors
It's all about dotting "I"s and crossing "T"s if they wanted a few different names for options, they'll need to make sure they secure them before presenting them, didn't they already lock up, Brisbane Dolphins?

Wasn't the "Brisbane Dolphins" name taken by a speculator trying to cash in according to an article by the NRL economist ?

Its not a given the name will be Sunshine State Dolphins but for what its worth. I was not sold on it when I heard it first, I guess their thinking is to go for the most generic broad appealing name as possible. In theory try to appeal to all of Queensland instead of "North Brisbane, South Queensland etc".. I think I know prefer the SSD over Brisbane Dolphins, its a mouthful but the team will be referred to as the "Dolphins" which I think is a great brand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Does anyone outside Qlnd, or even in Qlnd, know Qlnd as the sunshine state? its pretty sunny everywhere in Australia, except maybe Tasmania and Albany in WA lol

Latest posts