What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redevelopment of Jubilee

possm

Coach
Redevelopment of Kogarah not on the agenda with current State Liberal party deputy who will ensure Penrith upgrade goes first.
First, second or third, who cares. I want it to happen so that we do not lose the district to these self interested green folk.

possm

Coach
The government would only back dollar for dollar and at the time we were in debt.
We had enough assets to qualify for a loan. St George just did not want to pay more than their fair share and Illawarra could not pay their share.

Redhoopz

Juniors
I'll probably cop a bit for saying this, but I actually prefer Win stadium over Jubilee. I used to love going to Kogarah over the years, but the more I go to Win, the more I prefer it - it's a better stadium and closer to the action. I usually attend most of the home matches at both stadiums.

That being said It would be nice to see Juiblee receive an upgrade - there's got to be a reason they regularly hold A-league/W-League matches. The Australian team regularly train there (not sure if they have moved to bankwest), even Manchester United opted to use it as a training facility a few years ago.

There's a lot of potential there - it just depends on what the Government and the NRL want to do. The media are constantly banging on about there's too many teams in Sydney... and it's obvious that the media love bashing the Dragons whenever they get a chance to...

If you revamped the leagues club, you could probably build some bridge/tunnel that goes straight from the leagues club into Jubilee. At least that way the leagues club could have match day events (not sure if they do or not).

Trifili13

Juniors
I'll probably cop a bit for saying this, but I actually prefer Win stadium over Jubilee. I used to love going to Kogarah over the years, but the more I go to Win, the more I prefer it - it's a better stadium and closer to the action. I usually attend most of the home matches at both stadiums.

That being said It would be nice to see Juiblee receive an upgrade - there's got to be a reason they regularly hold A-league/W-League matches. The Australian team regularly train there (not sure if they have moved to bankwest), even Manchester United opted to use it as a training facility a few years ago.

There's a lot of potential there - it just depends on what the Government and the NRL want to do. The media are constantly banging on about there's too many teams in Sydney... and it's obvious that the media love bashing the Dragons whenever they get a chance to...

If you revamped the leagues club, you could probably build some bridge/tunnel that goes straight from the leagues club into Jubilee. At least that way the leagues club could have match day events (not sure if they do or not).
From memory, Manchester United choose Jubilee as it has an excellent playing surface. They even brought their own ground staff from England to look at the various options and choose Jubilee.

RedVee

First Grade
You’d think the Leagues Club would try to fill the need for a conference centre.

Also, I remember some fluff about building a hotel through the middle of the Leagues Club years ago, a tower up through the auditorium section - nothing ever happened though.

It galled me a bit seeing stuff about GF breakfasts and the like, all at St G. Yet we have left the auditorium locked up like Pompeii all these years.

How embarrassing.

denis preston

First Grade
From memory, Manchester United choose Jubilee as it has an excellent playing surface. They even brought their own ground staff from England to look at the various options and choose Jubilee.
I wonder if St George junior clubs play on it like we did in the 70's & 80's ? Going by the excellent surface i'd say not.
Centre of excellence is far more important that ANOTHER Jubilee upgrade. We really got a lot more upgrades than we possibly deserved.

Trifili13

Juniors
The various soccer grand finals in the St George Association played their grand finals there up to a couple if years ago. Not sure about the junior league GFs.

Draginzaaar

Bench
I wonder if St George junior clubs play on it like we did in the 70's & 80's ? Going by the excellent surface i'd say not.
Centre of excellence is far more important that ANOTHER Jubilee upgrade. We really got a lot more upgrades than we possibly deserved.
All those upgrades and they still need to put tackle pads in the corners, so players don't kill themselves slamming into the fence.

possm

Coach
Kogarah Oval is well located, just off the Princess Highway and close to Mascot Airport. And yes, very close to the sea with great views if looking from an elevated position such as a tall hotel or high grandstand, etc.

I'm all for the complete re-development of the Grounds and League's Club. It could very well be the venue of choice for visiting international teams or even teams from interstate.

So, in my opinion, St George should be not only pushing hard for the grandstand improvement/redevelopment but a complete revamp of the League Club site. I support the construction of a hotel building on the site which could incorporate restaurants, a merchandise shop, and accommodation for our players and vision teams as well as casual customers.

I would also like to see a large underground car park with a bus station under and shuttle buses that move to and from the train station would also be on my list.

This stadium could end up being one of the best suburban stadiums if only the people in charge of our club had some vision and the will to return us to the top where we belong. The Taj used to be a venue of preference for the best entertainment on offer. Now, this run-down venue is a reflection of Peter Doust himself.

denis preston

First Grade
Kogarah Oval is well located, just off the Princess Highway and close to Mascot Airport. And yes, very close to the sea with great views if looking from an elevated position such as a tall hotel or high grandstand, etc.

I'm all for the complete re-development of the Grounds and League's Club. It could very well be the venue of choice for visiting international teams or even teams from interstate.

So, in my opinion, St George should be not only pushing hard for the grandstand improvement/redevelopment but a complete revamp of the League Club site. I support the construction of a hotel building on the site which could incorporate restaurants, a merchandise shop, and accommodation for our players and vision teams as well as casual customers.

I would also like to see a large underground car park with a bus station under and shuttle buses that move to and from the train station would also be on my list.

This stadium could end up being one of the best suburban stadiums if only the people in charge of our club had some vision and the will to return us to the top where we belong. The Taj used to be a venue of preference for the best entertainment on offer. Now, this run-down venue is a reflection of Peter Doust himself.
That would be great and understand your passion Poss but IMO the horse has bolted on this one. In the halcyon years of the leagues club ( 1963- 1990 ) and before the poker machine tax the club should have purchased the ground from the council or moved elsewhere. They also should have invested in non leagues club revenues such as property / share market etc but they and 99% of licenced clubs didit. They all thought the rivers of gold would last forever. The leagues club board have stopped the financial hemorrhaging over the past 5 years but making a profit and growing are completely different things. The fact they justify giving the football club less & less money as fiscal responsibility still astounds me as the leagues club was bloody well set up & built to support fully the football club.

Trifili13

Juniors
Agree with you DP, horse has bolted. Parra stadium cost $300m, Nth Qld stadium was about $250m. Can't see the govt spending that sort of money to rebuild Jubilee. Doing a partial refurb and spending 10 to 20mill is probably also a waste.