What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
That's what I get for typing whatever comes into my head . . . at least they played for the same team

POPEYE

Coach
Good game of footy, Sandow appeared to have played the way the coach wants him to. An effort every game consistent with tonight's would have had the Eels mid ladder. If it's true some players are whinging about Arthur's dictatorial attitude they need to f**k off to the nearest sand pit where they belong

POPEYE

Coach
The closest I ever came to injury prevention was giving the grand final winning A grade team I presided over a couple of shots of whiskey before each game. If they all turned up to training regularly it was a blessing, doubly so if they made it to the game on time

There are 16 NRL teams and probably 16 different views on how player injury prevention should be managed. It is clear however that some teams either only keep players who can take punishment or follow appropriate methods of training to alleviate the possibility of injuries

I have nfi what modern sports science entails but surely some are doing it way better than others. Penrith players seem to be dropping like flies every season, keeping the same team consistently on the field is the only hindrance to a premiership. Melbourne among others win because they're not overly disrupted by injury

Injury to key players is streets ahead of suspensions and rep footy for absenteeism, unfortunately the modern game's requirement that players be at their best for 80 minutes every game may be breeding exaggeration of injuries when they know they aren't at their best. Is it preferable to destabilise a team rotating players than playing with injuries that used to be surmountable . . . easy for me to say I suppose

POPEYE

Coach
Whats your view on cultural relativism vs ethnocentrism?

So you may be genuine, that's the reason you've been sniping rather than confronting. Let's just say I'm Australia born from an English mother and Australian father and although the way of life in this country is sacrosanct to me I'm fascinated with the good aspects of all cultures. I see no reason Australia shouldn't embrace any of the fabulous things we learn from cultures around the world

On the other hand, anyone who tries to import insidious behaviour that has obviously f**ked the place they originated from and is intended to be replicated here is an enemy of mine. The first settlers here shot Indigenous Australians for sport, since then we've spent a lot of time trying to eradicate barbarism and we've done that by assimilating migrants from many cultures. While they've appreciated being allowed to settle here we've embraced the best of their values

People who intend to swamp what we're trying to do with scumbag ideals based on pretentious religion, any brand of which I despise, should be removed. This is a big country surrounded by water, we keep rabies out because we deny entry of contaminants . . . we don't have to take the bad with the good

POPEYE

Coach
Sticky's made a raw prawn of himself yet again, must've gone to bed last night with the same foreboding a 10yr old's father would have after he was ejected from a kiddies footy carnival. The game was won by Benny and lost by Sticky, composure taught beat composure neglected

Didn't help that the Great White Penalty Hunter/Stoppage Master Badger added to the frustration but I have trouble understanding how Sticky can see all from the sideline. He can only judge the game the way a garden gnome would, take the whinging from his players as gospel and react accordingly

Which brings me to my pet hate, a lack of comprehension by men who control a game by not understanding the physicality of it. Badger said a ball was knocked on when it was never separated from the players touch, a play the ball could have a try scored but instead we had frustration abounding that ultimately resulted in a try the other end

A Captain's Challenge would have negated the problem but with referees who refuse to ask for video guidance or admit any mistakes we would need a team to be allowed 10 challenges per half. Referees like Badger would lose more challenges than they win

POPEYE

Coach
What's Mary got, closer to a superstar spine every match they play, once unfashionable forwards now impenetrable and a backline that is catching up, none of his own making you say . . . bullshit. The bloke is doing a Bellamy but his survival has necessitated it be done with established players, most of whom were out of tune

All that remains now is to manufacture his own brood in years to come, youngsters will be attracted like bees to nectar. The bloke has an aura that most CEO's can only dream of, reminds me of Jack Almighty

The Seagles would have won with DCE but the Cowboys would have won no matter what without Origin, warms the cockles of the heart to see a really significant affair not be ruined by premature ejaculation

Raiders have all the ammunition they need, pity the coach can't reload quick enough in the half time break. Regardless where he views the game his entire career off the field has relied on a game plan that taxed his brain throughout a week but can't be fine tuned when it matters

POPEYE

Coach
All day yesterday while working on a piece of furniture I'm building I had a distracting dose of bad vibes about the Roosters/Storm game. Wtf I thought, Melbourne don't need to win anywhere near as much as Sydney but naturally I'll watch anyway. Changed my mind immediately I saw Melbourne run out in that pouncey 'away' uniform and put on a movie instead

Cam Smith looked like George Clooney in O' Brother, Where Art Thou, the rest of the players seemed embarrassed and the Roosters probably had to restrain from f**king pissing themselves laughing. How anyone expects a Perfect Storm to inspire fear in that getup is beyond me . . . no wonder Billy didn't want to play

POPEYE

Coach
Even though I didn't watch the game I can't totally blame the sissy jerseys but I can blame Origin. The Roosters had players representing in the State game but the need for them to win was the catalyst to beat a team going through the motions after a euphoric win on Wednesday

Robbo has not panicked any more than Bellamy will, when the Roosters do reach equal status on the ladder, and it won't be long coming, points for and against will blow the rest away. Timing is everything if winning the cup is essential, only the Shield requires do or die every game

Playing for the cup when results don't matter top teams often rest one of their better players when they think they may not be at their best, something to do with mind over matter later on. Roosters are favourites for the cup and Melbourne are outsiders but it would have been a much better effort from the Storm if they didn't have any excuses . . . no Origin hangover from 3/4 of the winning spine, the other member of which almost capitulated to the Seagles

POPEYE

Coach
Along with Hunt I consider Parker essential to the Broncos but they are only playing Manly, as far as I'm concerned DCE would have to be on his death bed not to play. The twerp doesn't deserve to play in a Seagle jersey, Willie Mason being allotted one is testimony to the dire straits the club is in . . . spare a thought for Foran who looks busted

Can't see why the Tigers should be beaten by the Titans now that Sourpuss Marshall is busy preparing himself for the next Origin, be better if they kept him out of the sheds altogether while he's 'recuperating for Game 2'. Henry's mob are due to be rewarded however

Gidley's back so Sticky shouldn't have anything to whinge about, a rudderless Knights surely has to sink in the Raider whirlpool. If I ever became involved in social media, other than this forum that is, I'd message Sticky to get his head up in the air where he can see what his coaching is doing to the team

Rabbitohs/Warriors should almost be match of the round if the variables weren't demoralising, anyone betting on this game can't be doing it responsibly

I hate to dwell on Melbourne's away jersey but I didn't watch the early season game in Townsville when Thurston must have gathered his mob and asked 'Are you going to let people dressed in pyjamas beat us . . . no f**king way'. What a circus it will be if the Panthers turn up in pink as well, anyone's guess again as we cross our fingers for every Panther still upright

The Roosters have to go with it now but the mighty Gal is back . . . will Robbo suffer because Origin 2 is near

If anyone can beat the Dragons it has to be the Dogs, Mary will have to impress on his players to be careful where they place their heads carrying the ball into a tackle . . . Graham is back

Thurston will have recovered from jetlag . . . Sandow will revert to his usual against the onslaught

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Not wishing to get involved in the catfight that's about to engulf the DCE thread let me say I don't care what a club has to do to keep essential one club players. Don't care how much they're paid or promises made, the salary cap may be manipulated in his case and hopefully we'll never know but as far as I'm concerned the cap was only ever designed to prevent excessive poaching by rich clubs.

Retaining one club players should be the aim of every club, it's a pity that some players have to be let go if they don't reach the standard expected but players that have made their worth known at their first NRL club should be allowed incentives to stay. One club players are important to supporters and the well being of the game

Jason Maher

Immortal
What about the Titans? They've let go Sezer in order to accomodate DCE. Sezer is not on the same level as DVE, but he's a bloody good player nonetheless. I agree with you in principle, as I believe most fans do. But in this particular case the price of a player sticking to his original club is the complete screwing over of another club who made several recruiing decisions on the basis of the announced signing.

POPEYE

Coach
What about the Titans? They've let go Sezer in order to accomodate DCE. Sezer is not on the same level as DVE, but he's a bloody good player nonetheless. I agree with you in principle, as I believe most fans do. But in this particular case the price of a player sticking to his original club is the complete screwing over of another club who made several recruiing decisions on the basis of the announced signing.

I sympathise ol' mate but poaching is my devil incarnate, makes me all warm and cosy to think a club, unfortunately the Titans, was screwed when it intended to purposely disadvantage another club instead of searching out new talent . . . they don't need him anyway, he was just an expedient signing

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
I sympathise ol' mate but poaching is my devil incarnate, makes me all warm and cosy to think a club, unfortunately the Titans, was screwed when it intended to purposely disadvantage another club instead of searching out new talent . . . they don't need him anyway, he was just an expedient signing

I hear you & I agree re poaching.
The Titans though were/ are between a rock & a hard place & reactively went after someone they thought would be their messiah...should've known better but desperation (whether only perceived) leads to foolish actions.
None of that excuses smug usury.
Some people its hard to like...can appreciate the talent but that's as far as it goes for me.

The play these days has been to do just what DCE has done & the rule changes might put the brakes on it, well, publicly at least.