What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

mave

Coach
I always read this thread, and really enjoy it, but pops is being too cryptic of late. It hurts my brain.

POPEYE

Coach
Blowing smoke up Manly's collective arse? You've hit a new low Pops.

There's smoke from a campfire surrounded by your mates and there's smoke from tyres as your car burns to the ground . . . different strokes for different blokes

POPEYE

Coach
Who could blame Sticky for imagining he'd be the first to knock NQ off their perch, in his delusional world where he's convinced himself he really can coach it wouldn't matter that key Cowboys were suffering from hangover. Thurston however once again revelled in backing up, my f**king hero in the fight against Orgasm

While ever Shaun meandered back and forth across field sending his players on the road to nowhere, it seems he imagines the way a #7 should play, the GC were in with a chance. Only when he said 'f**k this' and did what Shaun Johnson occasionally does best, turn a hole into a chasm, were the Titans ratshit. The bloke must be the most talented slow learner I've ever seen

Penrith were doing alright until I preferred to watch a movie than the Dogs go round . . . apologies to the Panthers for putting my jinx to bed

POPEYE

Coach
Poor old Knights, seems they spent so many years waiting for Gidley to turn up consistently and when he does the team treads water waiting for him to live up to the hype . . . not just Newcastle but NSW as well. Can never doubt his effort but his career can be summed up by stepping on a sideline

Bennett's thoughts were made apparent while being interviewed by Finch, he always thought every Qld player was his private property and no-one dislikes Melbourne more than he does. He considers the Storm the main reason his illustrious career was dampened and the prevention of what should have been at least 10 premierships by now.

Aside from that it seems a little bloke with an unusual name, who had to bide his time because he's supposedly manufactured not naturally gifted, holds the fortune of Melbourne and Qld in the palm of his hand

POPEYE

Coach
Warriors don't need either, NZ is littered with quality players in every position except where it matters to the Warriors, the League World should count itself lucky that cunning halves don't also grow under every Kauri

Last night's game was one of good coaching vs the same with the bounce of the ball the determining factor, players did their best to do their best. Looking for extentuating circumstances was for people wearing rose coloured glasses with one lens broken. If you like to just watch Rugby League that was it

Bigcoq

Juniors
Warriors don't need either, NZ is littered with quality players in every position except where it matters to the Warriors, the League World should count itself lucky that cunning halves don't also grow under every Kauri

Last night's game was one of good coaching vs the same with the bounce of the ball the determining factor, players did their best to do their best. Looking for extentuating circumstances was for people wearing rose coloured glasses with one lens broken. If you like to just watch Rugby League that was it
An Ostrich is not an Emu, Emu's don't burry their heads in the sand or where glasses. NZ need a coach more than anything, they've had great rosters with Halves that have won premierships with other clubs. Taukieho and Matagi! you'll soon remember these 2 budget Warriors rejects.

POPEYE

Coach
An Ostrich is not an Emu, Emu's don't burry their heads in the sand or where glasses. NZ need a coach more than anything, they've had great rosters with Halves that have won premierships with other clubs. Taukieho and Matagi! you'll soon remember these 2 budget Warriors rejects.

You should put up a list of the great playmakers the Warriors have had over the years, and don't insult me by including Stacey Jones. The coach they've got now had a better footy brain than any Warrior playmaker I've seen. The Warriors came close to a cup in the last decade when they had the only decent thinking half they've ever had . . . unfortunately a Sydney club needed him to win a premiership

Just to add, you may be right, Bellamy might dig up a decent home grown playmaker when he coaches the Warriors

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
All the grandiose ideas and remedies for the malady everyone is claiming to have befallen Rugby League, a once simple game that won't be left alone to remain simple. People in this age of technology are looking more and more for a respite from confusion in their relaxation time

We need to see a competition start and finish before another begins, we need to see players that can be allowed to try outlast the opposition and we need to see the players decide the outcome of games. No-one in their right f**king mind sits down to a meal and expects to eat dessert half way through the main course . . . any chef dishing that idea up would be sacked

Almost forgot, Manly offering Foran a DCE deal should not raise any eyebrows, every club should be entitled to keep what it produces. Claiming clubs should be allowed to have a 'Marquee Player' free of the cap to give the game a boost but at the same time force one-club players out is hypocrisy

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Was disheartening to see that f**kwit Weidler tripping over himself trying to shove a microphone down Arthur's throat whilst asking yet another of his imbecile questions. It's a pity that the easiest news is always the worst news, a shame the media are intent on destroying something they pretend to promote

My idea of salvaging the game is looking after supporters of it, they are not the lowest common denominator they are imagined to be by their manipulators. Amazing how someone with access to media always considers themselves having superior intelligence and understanding

Since supporters must be the most valuable asset to a game it is imperative they be encouraged to expand in numbers, to do that their idealism must be protected. At first the salary cap was thought to be the best way to prevent supporters becoming disillusioned, but they are not dumb enough to believe it can't be corrupted, so now to keep them interested we may see a Marquee Player allowance

Unfortunately that won't compensate for the laziness that is driving supporters to disinterest, they want to see their club find NEW champions and hang on to them. The salary cap should still be retained but only as a deterrent to poaching, clubs don't need to sign established marquee players but create their own

The NRL needs to establish a line of embarkation, when a player is established the first time in the top grade by a designated number of games he then becomes a club's potential marquee, which means he can be paid as much as that club wants to pay him in the future

SBW for example should have been paid as much as the Dogs could find for him, Klemmer should now be allowed to ask for and get whatever they are willing to pay. Thurston on the other hand was overlooked and never played what I would recognise as enough starting games to be consider a 'preferential' Dog

Parramatta should be entitled to pay Hayne and Lyon for example as much as they want, the Dragons with Merrin, DCE and Foran with Manly . . . and so on. The NRL should have no power over players that clubs establish in the top grade.

The idea is to search out as many new champion players as possible, try and attract supporters and keep them interested by associating them with those players as well as the club that established them. Only players that are overlooked, underestimated or maligned enough to become fair game on the open market should be governed by the salary cap

There is a need to remove the media as much as possible from the equation, they have far too much influence which exasperates the insidious need they have for creating furore over player movements. Clubs should have more power to determine the outcome of the sport, which can only be achieved if they are encouraged to search for players they can call their own and pay accordingly

Another now pertinent example I should add is James Maloney, he is one that got away from Melbourne and the Warriors should have been allowed to pay whatever it took to keep him

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
On one track of an ancient record called 'The Pick of Billy Connolly' he tells how he and his girlfriend were window shopping when an out of control garbage truck came careering around the corner. The girlfriend pushed Billy out of harm's way but unfortunately she was smashed to pieces, he then tells of the time he spent looking for the piece he missed the most

I spent 30 minutes looking for a Rugby League good news story amongst the garbage that I might add my 2 cents to but alas . . . sweet f**k all

Jason Maher

Immortal
DCE was not produced by Manly in any way, shape, or form. He was poached from the Queensland Cup in his early 20s.

POPEYE

Coach
DCE was not produced by Manly in any way, shape, or form. He was poached from the Queensland Cup in his early 20s.

Bullshit as far as I'm concerned, I'm not interested in what a player does before he plays NRL, that's my line in the sand. Every young player does the best he can to attract an NRL club, any NRL club, the one that takes the big step is his saviour. Show me where DCE played in the top grade in more than a token off the bench appearance for any other NRL club and I'll apologise for my mistake

On another subject, Cronulla is considered the reason the salary cap exists, if you were a supporter what would you rather, pay Maloney a huge chunk of the cap or be allowed to pay Valentine Holmes and Jack Bird who your mob rejected before he lost his NRL cherry any amount of money to stay

POPEYE

Coach
Even though I try to watch as many games as possible I'm getting more and more cantankerous so I won't bother with the Knights replay as it always had a foregone conclusion and watching Gidley play is irritating

The Souths/Manly game on the other hand imo could have gone either way and the Seagles looked impressive enough to win. Interesting how the referees early in the game appeared to be holding off on pedantic penalties, might have been a directive from above, didn't last the whole game however and they returned to rubbish stoppages . . . almost gave Manly a leg up towards the end, unintentional of course

Luke didn't look interested and Reynolds needs to be 100%, a bloke his size can't be half cocked, Souths are doing everything the hard way atm. Good game to watch and that's all that matters

mave

Coach

Ummmm,
I wouldnt want facts to get in the way of you re-writing history, but DCE played in Manlys under 20's team in 2008 and 2009.

We sent him to QLD cup to blood him, when we had a feeder relationship with the Sunshine Coast. He was a contracted Manly player.

But carry on.

POPEYE

Coach
Ummmm,
I wouldnt want facts to get in the way of you re-writing history, but DCE played in Manlys under 20's team in 2008 and 2009.

We sent him to QLD cup to blood him, when we had a feeder relationship with the Sunshine Coast. He was a contracted Manly player.

But carry on.

Your account of DCE's beginnings may prove JM's wrong but they still don't even mean a tuppenny f**k to me. Rich clubs could stack U20s with 'contracted' players but as far as I'm concerned they're all fair game for any club willing to establish them in the top grade.

The aim is to start as many new players in the NRL as possible instead of recycling those already there, that will only happen if clubs are rewarded for taking chances

I'll give you an idea of hypocrisy, any club could have had Melbourne's elite players before they became elite, they could have even played for the Eels if Bellamy or someone like him had of been coach. Not only were Melbourne penalised for trying to keep players they refuse to poach they are made to suffer for supplying them to Origin

Anyone who thinks Rugby League should tread water while clubs swap players from a stagnant pool instead of encouraging them to dip in the ocean are f**kwits

ANTiLAG

First Grade
So Bellamy thinks that the back flipping makes the rugby league world amateur. It has very well utilised by DCE to get a few more $ out of the retaining club, which of course was the purpose of the back flipping rule.

It has been replaced by a ten day "cooling off" period. I cannot think of a less suitable name. I predict that the ten "ten days" will be a circus of the retaining club making big offers. It will be the DCE saga played out over a much shorter period. It could in fact be the Twenty20 version of the DCE saga, which was more a full day ODI.

I like the sentiments behind the rules to let clubs retain their existing players, and while many did not like DCE's behaviour, his management used the rule to its full effect. Like it or not, they did their job. DCE chose to swap his popularity for some more money out of Manly. It was his choice within the rules as they were. Now this will continue to happen on a much more limited time basis of ten days. Which if anything, serves to protect the signing club, and not leave them in a precarious position like the Gold Coast Titans have been left in.

There will be more back flips and DCE maximums, but just in a shorter time period.

Does the ten day "cooling off period" allow other clubs, not the retaining club, to make bigger offers?

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Rugby League players don't get paid anywhere near enough for the effort they put in to sustain their 'worthiness', as far as I'm concerned they can do anything within or without the rules to earn a dollar, especially when the rules suck

My only concern is that clubs that deserve to keep certain players are the ones who get preferential treatment and a head start

POPEYE

Coach
Shaun ran to the line more often than not and Chad played as though he's looking for a contract, the Warriors are more than adequately served everywhere else so Bob's your f**king uncle . . . as it should be. Bodene Thompson has to be one of the buys of the year and when Humpty Dumpty Hurrell doesn't have a fall all is good in the land of the long white cloud

Like Sticky, Flanagan is a much maligned coach, unlike Sticky Flanagan is a good coach because he teaches the game in two halves. It is not a waste of time sitting down to oranges with the bloke, he changes the game plan to suit like all the better coaches do, not preach a surmon. The Sharks are doing well because of Flanagan.

I expected to see 'Can the Cowboys win without Thurston' but it appears all of Wankerville is still asleep.

If ever a team had to win a game in front of it's supporters . . . and Benji reverted to being Marshall. Really just a matter of horses for courses but it was great to see Arthur getting through