What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The problem,I believe,with a national second tier comp is the cost of flying the players allover the country for games that only a hand full of people will pay to watch. It would need the backing of Foxsports or the like.

Otherwise how do you make it financially viable ??

POPEYE

Coach
That's the tricky bit, but what is a better proposition, the NRL sinking money into second tier that may see some teams like Fiji, Perth, PNG, Coffs, etc break even and prove their viability . . . or . . . prop up first tier teams

If we've got to put up with teams like Parra, Wests, Penrith and other habitual cellar dwellers so be it, doesn't mean a strong second tier has to suffer. There are thousands of people only blasé about the NRL but would travel a distance to see their sons, and daughters, play in strong second tier comps. Deny players because they may never make NRL standard and you also deny their following

Smith bragging about increasing coffers and doing something positive with them are two different things

POPEYE

Coach
Enough of serious, reverting back to character let me wonder what Rupert would pay for the rights to televise a second tier comp. Say he told the NRL he didn't want anything to do with it's 'premier' comp and like darts, snooker, motor racing, etc he was content to promote second tier League, sort of like his own little Super League . . . that would create a little nervousness I imagine

Since I watch a lot of obscure sports like snooker I'd certainly watch Rupert's version of League

Jason Maher

Immortal
Not even a nibble . . . ah well.

Just tried to watch NFL again to see if Hayne is getting a run, it's the Tube for highlights from now on . . . nothing has changed, what a pathetic f**king sport

Sorry old mate. Was traveling to watch some car drivers repeat the same basic process 161 times over 6 hours. See my reply in the thread dedicated to this topic if you like.

POPEYE

Coach
If you could see my face ol' mate you'd ask why I'm grinning from ear to ear, the people who are hanging on to traditional Sydney teams the same way those before them did when player travel to games was by bus or bicycle are the same people who 'hate' Melbourne, Brisbane and the Roosters

The last people on the planet who want to see a change in status quo are Bellamy, Robbo and especially Benny . . . Green will be standing quietly in the background if he is as he says he is, a dedicate believer in culture driven teams

Jabba is a fine example of what the hated trio are hoping for, the bloke is a prime mover in Sydney, an evangelist preaching to the believers if you like, who can occupy his pedestal by way of less than mediocre achievement from his star club.

If I was a one eyed Stormer, Rooster, Bronco or now Cowboy I'd be labeling anyone wanting to thin out Sydney teams as heretics. If you're mob were to be joined with the Sharks and all one club players were to be encouraged by way of cap concessions I'd hate to think what the entire south coast of NSW could achieve as a culture destination

There isn't really a team in the Sydney rat race that I prefer over the satellite teams and the only reason I'm carrying on like a raw prawn is that I want to see Rugby League miss the iceberg

POPEYE

Coach
I detest media gimmickry such as 'immortals' but if I was ever a believer and Mick Cronin wasn't inaugurated long ago I would revert to feel as I do now . . . the bloke's playing ability combined with his values make him second to none

The Crow and Sludge,
Sounds like a wonderful name for a pub,
but in reality one of the greatest inside/outside centre combos Australia has ever had.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
That's the tricky bit, but what is a better proposition, the NRL sinking money into second tier that may see some teams like Fiji, Perth, PNG, Coffs, etc break even and prove their viability . . . or . . . prop up first tier teams

If we've got to put up with teams like Parra, Wests, Penrith and other habitual cellar dwellers so be it, doesn't mean a strong second tier has to suffer. There are thousands of people only blasé about the NRL but would travel a distance to see their sons, and daughters, play in strong second tier comps. Deny players because they may never make NRL standard and you also deny their following

Smith bragging about increasing coffers and doing something positive with them are two different things

I agree with this as what's the point in profit making if the money is not put to good use.

POPEYE

Coach
Seems the Cowboys aren't afraid of spending time and money promoting the game, perfect example of spreading the word as far as it will go, exactly what RL needs. I couldn't bother pursuing stats because they're as deceiving as a redheaded postman picking up a beauty queen in the Phillipines but the winning of the cup by NQ has to be abundantly more affectual than a Sydney team winning it . . . even Souths

If the Seagles played out of Gosford more often than not they mightn't have to fly but a bus tour of the Central Coast and Northern beaches if they won the cup would be far better than walking around Manly dressed as transvestites. Imagine what euphoria a combined Parra/Penrith outfit would muster if they won the cup now and again but more importantly always stayed competitive

Scenarios are mind boggling all over the joint but they won't happen, over indulging in Sydney teams will remain a tourniquet on the game as long as I live and far beyond. Simple fact is that most players that play in Sydney teams could have been settled anywhere in the country if their parents thought the opportunity was there and the rest are imported from places they'd stay if they could

POPEYE

Coach
I'm afraid this thread is going to have to undergo a regular bottom of the page hiatus, it's a struggle to find anything of note to talk about this time of year. Did read that Thurston needs a rest but that's not rocket science, apparently the only other key player that played more minutes than him was Cam Smith and RL 'minutes' are the closest thing to a bible in my world

It is reported he had to make 356 tackles but that would be insignificant compared to his Origin captain's tally, he however was only tackled 146 times. There are a couple of wags saying Thurston doesn't have to play in comps outside the NRL, it's his choice, I'd bet the same wankers wish he'd been tackled the one time it really mattered to them.

Thurston is who he is because he leads by example, he plays as many games as he can for the same reason he runs the extra distance to pick up the kicking tee for ball boys, he feels he owes it to the game.

I raised a giggle when I saw a peroxide blonde African American playing for the New York Giants being lauded as the best thing since sliced bread, the bloke would spend more time at the barber than he would on the field, doesn't have to tackle, set up play or even pass a ball. If you asked him to play the minutes for the money Thurston does he would suffer immediate cardiac arrest

So to those who say JT a protected species may I say there is more chance he will go the way of the Tassie Tiger than the way of Oscar Pistorious so to all of you I say suck shit

POPEYE

Coach
Think I might support the Taylor cause next year, be interested to hear your thoughts Senses, the bloke can't do any more to clear the decks and unlike with Sticky we won't have to endure excuses as part of the curriculum. Taylor has no avenue left open to him now except coaching prowess

All he has to do is wait for the petulant Farah to fall on his sword, gain respect of Tigers' players and supporters while marching his way up the ladder all the while creating a culture that less than a handful of clubs have. Can't wait to get behind that scenario, might even buy a jersey now so I can say 'told you so', just in case there's another Melbourne

Seriously though for a second, all the huge expanse of the far south west needs is exposure, the Tigers if they dump the Sydney shackles and portray themselves as RL explorers, coupled with consistent success, would be in a far better position to promote the game than any of the clubs trapped in the merry go round . . . everyone who favours the game itself should hope Taylor works a miracle

POPEYE

Coach
The Cook Is/Tonga game was as good as a cherished memory, like when we were young and naïve out chasing the girls and had no idea what to expect, the game was better than it should've been because the referee wasn't under pressure and we had to accept the rulings . . . ah, the good ol' days

Watching the game reminded me of the dig I had at Alfie before the gf, he wasn't as obvious as the bloke in blue running around for the Tongans last night, standing in the front line pointing to where players should be in attack. I thought for a second he was going to take a pass.

I was thinking Benny could have had a bigger advantage over Green if Alfie had of been a little more articulate, sort of more in the players' faces. I think it a farce that an ex NRL player is allowed to wander around on the field, especially within peripheral sight of the players, if it is allowed however why not go the whole hog

Lockyer wouldn't be any good because him yelling is only a little better than a sparrow fart but what if Slater succumbed to shoulder injury and he stood on the sideline like a runner on the blocks waiting for an attacking movement. It would have to be worth heaps and therefore pay heaps to have a player of Slater's organising ability to be 14th man in attack, even if he has to carry a bottle

Better still, imagine when Thurston doesn't want to be tackled any more, what would he be worth in a blue jumper to the Cowboys if the NRL is going to continue with this bullshit

Jason Maher

Immortal
Bennett is on record as hating trainers on the field. In his usual fashion, if something he doesn't like isn't dealt with, he exploits it to the maximum to hopefully show it up. Either it will then be dealt with, or he gets the advantage. Win/win.

POPEYE

Coach
Yeh, but Benny thinks he's the be all end all and therefore would have an advantage over every coach if trainers were not allowed to interfere. Say Cronk was the Cowboys #7 and Thurston was employed as the Bronco trainer, pretending Cronk was Thurston's equal of course, who do you think would have won the gf.

Then again, if Cronk was the Bronco trainer the Cowboys wouldn't have won the gf, can't imagine Benny's mob shutting up shop with Cooper breathing down their necks . . . do you imagine Benny complaining then

A little off subject ol' mate, I watched the gf again yesterday for something to do and decided to fix my gaze on Thurston, the bloke was easily MOM for what he did off the ball as on. I was one of those bods previously willing to concede Milford might've been best on field . . . not even close

POPEYE

Coach
Just as truck driving was invented for meatheads to make a quid so was Union invented for meatheads to play team sport, not very patriotic I know but I just couldn't refrain from laughing even when the game was on the verge of being lost by Australia.

Yes I know I don't understand the nuances between Union and League, particularly the blasé manner in which the commentators excuse ineptitude across the whole spectrum of the game, nor do I want to . . . sitting through it once in a decade will do me

POPEYE

Coach
I'm a great fan of Bellamy, mainly because he doesn't need to poach, not sure how I'd feel about him if he allowed his mob to be influenced by incompetent injury management. Melbourne have their expected share of bad luck as do the other top echelon teams but Jabba is as much to blame for Penrith's woes as Cleary whose only fault surely has to be naivety

Robbo's season didn't have the expected result because the Roosters' injuries came as they were walking out the front door, Penrith's have been a revolving door the whole season so who's to blame . . . maybe we should dress Gould & Cleary as Abbott & Costello and ask them 'Who's on First'

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Think I might support the Taylor cause next year, be interested to hear your thoughts Senses, the bloke can't do any more to clear the decks and unlike with Sticky we won't have to endure excuses as part of the curriculum. Taylor has no avenue left open to him now except coaching prowess

All he has to do is wait for the petulant Farah to fall on his sword, gain respect of Tigers' players and supporters while marching his way up the ladder all the while creating a culture that less than a handful of clubs have. Can't wait to get behind that scenario, might even buy a jersey now so I can say 'told you so', just in case there's another Melbourne

Seriously though for a second, all the huge expanse of the far south west needs is exposure, the Tigers if they dump the Sydney shackles and portray themselves as RL explorers, coupled with consistent success, would be in a far better position to promote the game than any of the clubs trapped in the merry go round . . . everyone who favours the game itself should hope Taylor works a miracle

Thoughts on Taylor?

He is not responsible by and large for the structural issues plaguing the club, and the entire Farah issue is being used as a smokescreen to avoid attention being focused on the board and the poor decisions previous boards have made.

A clean out is needed, and in a season or two all the silly back ended deals that resulted in the club paying wages for players who have been moved on will end. Build from there around tedesco, Moses and Brooks.

Taylor's to blame for the following: trying to mould the team into a defensive unit at the expense of everything else. It's always so structured that players seemed unable to play what was in front of them, they just rolled through the motions of 'the structure'. 2016 will be the season that makes or breaks Taylor, but Potter should have been given another season by the board and the power that comes with it to quell any garbage from supposed disquiet amongst the players.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Potter was dudded big time. Moronic decision by the Tigers board. How he hasn't yet been picked up by another club is beyond me.

POPEYE

Coach
Yes, I suppose if Potter was allowed to demobilise Farah the way Taylor has it could've been a different story. Best thing about the Taylor saga is that a coach is fighting back against scapegoatism, his players will now know he isn't a yes man and there is no going over his head without repercussions.

Cleary is going to pay for an inexperienced CEO's shortsightedness and he won't be the last, the fact he's more qualified as a coach than Jabba is as an administrator won't matter. Let's hope the next coach of Penrith does what Gibson did, tell the CEO to mind his own business . . . Taylor is certainly of the same view

POPEYE

Coach
Rotfield the other day said that Penrith was safe in the Sydney basin because they were a powerhouse and naturally I took the piss. Not sure what he meant, the large junior catchment area or administration but anyone taking the piss would have those scenarios covered . . . maybe he meant Penrith as a city was a money making machine especially now that the airport is on the table

What he didn't know was that Cleary was getting the flick and the Panthers may divorce themselves from NZ and other 'Made in China' players, then the Clayton's powerhouse may actually become real, unlike Buzz's other anomaly Parramatta. The key to keeping the home fires burning and keeping players like Austin where they belong is having administration separate from coaching

Cleary should never had left the Warriors, Maloney should still be his 5/8 and the best NZ players should be clamouring for a spot in their 5th gf. Penrith need to understand that buying players is not a healthy substitute for nurturing players and quick fixes are for car salesmen

Latest posts